No eth0 after mobo replacement

banjo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did the lspci and here is the output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2e30 (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2e31 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0622 (rev a1)

I do not see in there any mention of an ethernet controller, which goes along with the contention from the OS that it does not exist. I suspect that the chip is fried. ??? That does not suprise me given the horrible time we had mounting this MOBO into the crate. The heat sink holes are too small (I measured them with calipers - 3.96 mm instead of 4) and we ended up breaking one of the plastic pins on the heat sink pushing it into the board.

Just as a side issue, I would not recommend the Foxconn motherboard. POS.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Here is another brief side issue that might be of interest.

The repaired computer is now noticeably faster than it has been lately. Processing gets done instantly that used to take several seconds to accomplish.

When we opened the crate after the smoke event, we saw that the CPU heat sink fins were totally clogged with dust. I mean, completely clogged. No air was getting through that mess at all. I suspect that the brave Intel Core Duo was always clocking itself down trying to cool off and save its life, and the extra heat somehow caused the MOBO part to fail first. Just a guess. I think it was running in the low 50's Centigrade, although I had not looked at it recently.

When we mounted the CPU and heat sink again, we used Arctic Silver on it since the original heat pad was used up. We also cleaned it out. I think that it is now running much cooler than it was, although I have not been able to get a valid CPU temp to display yet. The BIOS at boot time said it was 26 C. I don't know what it is after running a while.

Anyway, the lesson learned is that Spring Cleaning should include the heat sink in the computer as well. I suspect that I could have avoided this entire mess had I known that.

BTW, I am currently typing this on my old Celeron system from 2003, and it still cranks, and I have never cleaned out the heat sink or fan. Computer parts get wimpier and more delicate every year.

Do yourself a favor. Shut down now and clean your heat sink.

'Nuff said about that.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I do not see in there any mention of an ethernet controller, which goes along with the contention from the OS that it does not exist. I suspect that the chip is fried. ???

Yes it looks like the ethernet controller is dead, as it should always show up in lspci regardless if Linux has a driver for it or not.

Just as a side issue, I would not recommend the Foxconn motherboard. POS.

Foxconn mobos are well known for being POS (as you say), I generally stick to Gigabyte, although Asus and Zotac make good boards too (but not all of their boards are good). Some MSI boards are good too.

Edited by tux99

Now ya tell me.... :o

It was an MSI board that fried itself and left me in this mess. I am considering starting over (again) and ordering a Gigabyte board and a new heatsink (the Foxconn board broke the one I have). My CPU seems to be OK. I hate spending the $$$, but the sound doesn't work on this board either. If I can't get the sound to work I will not be happy. That could be just a driver issue because the system can see the sound controller.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Brand new board from Newegg. I have thought of returning it, but I have already been down a week since the MSI board fried itself.... and I do not want another Foxconn board to mess with and do more damage. If I can get back online for a while I can then perhaps take my time to order a real mother board and a new HSF. The stock Intel fan is also a POS with those stupid push pins. It is also broken now, and forced onto the board.

I have been told that my Mandy 2008.1 will not support the newer G41 chipset, which is why the sound does not work. I guess I need updated drivers? But the NIC hardware is definitely not there. I have a cheap PCI NIC coming from Newegg tomorrow to see if I can get my beautiful computer back. After that, we will see what the traffic will bear.

Thanks for all the help.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I have been told that my Mandy 2008.1 will not support the newer G41 chipset, which is why the sound does not work.

I guess I need updated drivers?

That is possible as the G41 is fairly recent while 2008.1 is 2 years old now. You can't just update the drivers as with Linux they are all part of the kernel (well you could get a newer alsa sound driver but that means compiling from source), you could update the kernel, the newest kernel available for 2008.1 in the Mandriva repos is 2.6.26.5 (in the contrib/backports repository), don't know if that one is new enough for the G41, it might be.

Why are you still keeping 2008.1? Is it because of KDE3.5? If yes, KDE3.5 still works well in 2009.1, I have it running fine, see this thread:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/83894-mandriva-2009-1-with-kde-3-5-10-how-to/

Why are you still keeping 2008.1? Is it because of KDE3.5? If yes, KDE3.5 still works well in 2009.1, I have it running fine, see this thread:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/83894-mandriva-2009-1-with-kde-3-5-10-how-to/

Thanks for the pointer. I will go look at it later. And the answer is "yes", I am keeping the old OS to avoid KDE 4. I tried running the Live CD of 2009 with KDE 4 and it really sucked. It ate resources like crazy. All the plasmas crashed often. There was no desktop with my shortcuts on it, and instead there was some other "paradigm" that makes no sense to me. So I stuck with 2008.1.

I don't understand why new kernels are required in order to get new drivers. Drivers were invented to avoid the problem of having to rebuild the OS when the hardware changed. Now it seems that we have gone back to the bad old days when the OS had to be repaired to accept new hardware. So I guess I am missing something. But it is what it is, I guess.

Update on the MOBO: I am back online by getting a Roswill RC-402 card ($7.99 at Newegg) and stuffing it into one of the PCI slots. Works fine. It came in as eth2, even though we disabled the onboard in the BIOS.

The sound card shows up as:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

The CPU temperature sense does not work. I suspect that is drivers too?? My son says that Mandy 2008.1 does not support the North Bridge of the G41 chipset.

Holy Moly! I just built this thing in September 2008! Boy stuff goes stale fast these days.

I might have to look into upgrading Mandy, although I really was happy with what I have.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

KDE4 is actually a lot better in 2010.0, I would actually call it usable and that comes from someone who has really disliked KDE4 up to know. Mind you I'm still using 2008.1 myself on my main desktop PC, I only have 2010.0 installed on my test PC for now.

Give Mandriva 2010.0 KDE a try, you might like it. If not, there is someone who has packaged up KDE3.5 even for 2010.0! (I haven't tried it, so don't know how well it works):

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=120735

I generally agree with your observations about drivers and stuff going stale fast, but that is the price to pay for the fast evolution of Linux (that doesn't mean you have to always upgrade, but of course it makes finding compatible hardware harder, when you buy new hardware and want to use it with older distro releases).

Edit: I would never recommend an upgrade always a clean re-install especially when jumping several releases. Hopefully you keep your /home and data in separate partitions from the OS partition, then it should be fairly straightforward.

Edited by tux99

I found a web page that tells how to determine if a running kernel will support a device.

How To Tell if PCI Hardware Is Supported

I followed the steps on the page.

# lspci

OK fine. Get vendor and device codes.

# lspci -n | grep 00:1b.0

00:1b.0 0403: 8086:27d8 (rev 01)

Kewl. Just like on the web page.

Use the model id to search driver, as follows:

# grep 27d8 /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.pcimap

snd-hda-intel        0x00008086 0x000027d8 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x0

So far so good. This is exactly what is shown on the page.

Get more information about the module

# modinfo snd-hda-intel| egrep 'description|filename|depends'

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
description:    Intel HDA driver
depends:        snd-pcm,snd-page-alloc,snd,snd-hwdep

Looks like it is all there. Let's load it.

# modprobe snd-hda-intel

No response. Is it loaded?

# modprobe -l | grep intel

/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/drivers/char/hw_random/intel-rng.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/intel_vr_nor.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/drivers/video/intelfb/intelfb.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/drivers/kvm/kvm-intel.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0m.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko.gz

There it is. Next to last in the list.

When I run Kaffeine, I get a message that none of the audio drivers could initialize.

What am I missing?

I am so confused.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Could be a pulseaudio issue (almost as bad as KDE4, but pulseaudio also works fine for the first time in 2010.0), do aplay -L and aplay -l and post the output here (aplay is in the alsa-utils rpm package).

Also the command line tool play (part of the sox package) is better for testing audio than kaffeine, as it accesses sound drivers directly.

Edited by tux99

I think I remember having to disable pulseaudio when I put this computer together in 2008 to get the sound to work. I don't remember the details. I am not at my Linux computer now, so I can't try any of this until I get home.

I have not changed the settings in the OS, but the hardware was swapped out under the system that was installed on the previous MOBO. I expected it to be confused when it booted. It is. :lol2:

Thanks for all the info.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

OK, I entered "aplay -L" and nothing comes out.

I entered "aplay -l" and I get

aplay: device_list:207: no soundcards found...

$ play cairo-town.mp3

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
play soxio: Can't open output file `default': cannot open audio device

Which confirms that there isn't any sound card. Yet lspci shows a sound card

$ lspci

Am I missing a device in /dev?

I went poking around on www.tldp.org and the Sound_HOWTO says to look for /dev/dsp

$ ll /dev/dsp

ls: cannot access /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Is this old information that has been deprecated by some newer device?

$ ll /dev/snd

crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  1 2009-12-16 09:34 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 2009-12-16 09:33 timer

Anybody know what devices I need for a sound card? What creates the devices?

Edit: Just did a lsmod | grep intel and got the following:

snd_hda_intel         347256  0
snd_pcm                67204  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc          8456  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep               7492  1 snd_hda_intel
snd                    45444  9 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Looks like the driver is installed by default but cannot see the device.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Edited by banjo

For some reason your soundchip is not correctly recognized, the /dev devices would be generated automatically if it was recognized correctly. Check in /var/adm/messages and in the output of dmesg if there is any sound related error message.