NForce2 Drivers for ML 9.2

ral

Does Mandrake Linux 9.2 already have built in driver for NForce 2 Ultra400 motherboards and ATI 9100 video cards? If the 9100 drivers are included, do they have 3D support?

Nvidia only has NForce2 drivers for 9.1 listed on their site.

As for the video card, the manufacturer of my card (Sapphire) only provides Windows drivers. ATI has 9100 drivers for Linux though :)

Thanks in advance.

You could be cautious and try them with the kernel you will be using in 9.2 BUT remember to backup your modules.conf first!

For 9.2 It will probably work BUT if it doesn't you can get yourself into a real mess. the bad thing being your crippled without the network becuase you cant get onto the internet to fix it!

For 9.2 It will probably work BUT if it doesn't you can get yourself into a real mess. the bad thing being your crippled without the network because you cant get onto the internet to fix it!

I can vouch for that!

I gave up on trying to get the nforce2's lan to work and disabled it and put in a pci card.

Talk about irritating....

capn

I was kind of hoping that since the NForce2 boards had been out for some time now... it would be a simple install and the drivers would be built into the distro. Well, I guess I can try the 9.1 drivers and see how they go. Will still have the Windows on HD0 and Linux on HD1 (since I will be dual booting), so a bad install wont be a disaster.

As for the lan... well I am on dial up anyway :) ...wait a minute :( :( :(

One would think so, but no such luck, getting the drivers from Nvidia at least helps MDK to recognize the LAN connection, but getting it to configure is just plan too hard. I had it for a while when using 9.1, but lost it when attempting to update to 9.2 via urpmi. When I reinstalled 9.1, the connection would not work regardless of what I tried, and when I updated to 9.2 with the ISO download I got the same thing.

Very frustrating, I have never expected linux to be easy, but this is ridiculous! :wall:

Capn

Funny.. I don't have any problem installing nforce2 drivers in whatever version of kernel I use. (my mandrake 9.1 has the latest updated kernel, I think -25mdk while nvidia site only is for version -13mdk). I always download the source rpms, make sure I installed the kernel-source, then rpm --rebuild the source rpms. Never have any problems with it. So it should work with mandrake 9.2 (yeah, you have to download kernel source rpms, but since you need to update the kernel to run 9.2 stable anyway, might as well download the kernel-source rpms)

Gee, I always base my hardware decisions on Mandrake Linux compatibility. This is why I decided to go with this KT400/VT8235 motherboard, rather than a KT400/Nforce2 mobo. Mandrake's stock 9.1 kernel has NO problems with the chipset nor the onboard sound and LAN.

I read about the problems with Nforce2 mobos and Mandrake 9.1, so I decided it was best to steer clear of them. Turned out to be a good decision, with a pleasant surprise (or 7 or 8). :cheesy:

Had no problems at all. Yesterday I installed MD 9.2, under WinXP I downloaded the source-kernel from the mirror and the source rpm drivers from the nVidia page.

Did urpmi source-kernel, rebuilded the source rpm drivers and installed them.

After setting up Network I was online again. All this after 1,5 hour. :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by NeoXP

Did urpmi source-kernel, rebuilded the source rpm drivers and installed them.

Hi, I'm a real n00b at Linux, and have just installed mdk9.2 on my Shuttle and lost my network-connection (had 9.1 and there the nvidia drivers worked)... could you explain just how you did this?

I have dual-boot with XP and have downloaded the source rpm and the tar.gz, but don't know what to do with them?

Edited by TopDog