need help

Guest filthy_mcnasty

Guest filthy_mcnasty

first off, i'm a complete linux newbie, i'll clear that up right now so anyone who doesn't feel like helping dont bother.

i'm trying to upgrade and all the sites i can see on this issue seem to leave a lot out. they assume people know stuff but with me at least that's not the case. ie, "add a source to urpmi". ok, in english please.

at any rate, i decyphered all the info as best i could and still am not getting much. i was able to update KDE to its newest version and apparently a lot of other little things but i'm still definately using Mandrake 9.1 and not 9.2. I'd like to upgrade because i hear that 9.2 is faster (always better)

so a step by step walkthrough on how to update w/ urpmi would be helpful if anyone is willing to do so. dont assume i know anything cuz i basically dont.

i do "urpmi urpmi" and that upgraded....

"urpmi kernel" and "urpmi --auto-select" both say "everything is already installed". i only got to these points through this forum and the easy urpmi site now hopefully someone can help me finish the beast off. thanks.

First, are you sure you are definitely still using 9.1? What is the output of the command (as root):

cat /proc/version

Here's mine:

[root@omarserenity omar]# cat /proc/version 
Linux version 2.4.22-10mdk-i686-up-4GB (nplanel@no.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)) #1 Thu Sep 18 12:01:45 CEST 2003

Ok, assuming that yours still says 9.1, I'm going to walk you through step by step using a random mirror from the EasyURPMI site (anytime you see [ brackets ], anything inside them is a comment or an action and you don't actually type it):

su [hit enter]
[type in root password and hit enter...you won't see yourself typing anything]
urpmi.removemedia -a
urpmi.addmedia plf http://mandrakeusers.com/PLF/mandrake/9.2 with hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia --update updates http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
urpmi urpmi 
urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto
urpmi kernel

That should get you 9.2.

Guest filthy_mcnasty

awesome, i'm now running 9.2.

my problem was on the easy urpmi site i had selected the 9.1 under "your system". oops. aside from a different looking boot though i'm not noticing many differences. programs dont seem to load faster but that's just my first impression, we'll see.

thanks again for the help.

Guest filthy_mcnasty

although for some reason it seems i've reverted to KDE 3.1 which sucks, i was quite happy with 3.1.4, the thing apparently still thinks 3.1.4 is installed though so here's something else to tackle now.

It's just the KDE splashscreen that is saying kde 3.1 (it's been doing that since forever I guess). If you were using Texstar's KDE packages, you notice that Texstar uses his own "ahem" KDE splashscreen. If you open any kde based program (the easiest would be konqueror), then check on the menu help -> About kde, you can see what version of kde is installed.

Guest filthy_mcnasty

i WAS using the texstar version, you're right, but now i'm definately using 3.1.3 (you're right about the splash screen)

from konqueror i get that i'm using 3.1.4 but that command in konsole says 3.1.3 so i'm nice and confused.

i noticed it saying something about this during the urpmi process but pretty much ignored it. it did a similiar thing w/ gaim too. i WAS using 0.72 and now it's 0.68.

i refound the konsole though *which i prefer over terminal* and that was my main gripe for the time being so blah, i'll figure it out eventually. redownloading gaim tells me that it cannot install because

Some package requested cannot be installed:

gaim-0.72-1mdk9.1.i586 (due to unsatisfied libtk8.3.so)

do you agree ?

so i give for now. thanks again.

First, are you sure you are definitely still using 9.1? What is the output of the command (as root):

cat /proc/version

Here's mine:

[root@omarserenity omar]# cat /proc/version <!--QuoteEBegin-->Linux version 2.4.22-10mdk-i686-up-4GB (nplanel@no.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)) #1 Thu Sep 18 12:01:45 CEST 2003

Ok, assuming that yours still says 9.1, I'm going to walk you through step by step using a random mirror from the EasyURPMI site (anytime you see [ brackets ], anything inside them is a comment or an action and you don't actually type it):

<!--QuoteEBegin-->su [hit enter]<!--QuoteEBegin-->[type in root password and hit enter...you won't see yourself typing anything]<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi.removemedia -a<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi.addmedia plf http://mandrakeusers.com/PLF/mandrake/9.2 with hdlist.cz<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi.addmedia --update updates http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi urpmi <!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto<!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi kernel

That should get you 9.2.

Hey to all.

I would like to know how much free disk space this operation is going to require?

I have about 700 MB in my root partition, 300 Megs /home, and a swap about 300 MB.

Thanks, Hessu

I'm not sure about how much extra space is needed for the kernel, but theoretically, it shouldn't add too much space because it only upgrades what you already have installed. The kernel would be extra, though. Theoretically, I'd say about 40 MB will all it will increase your installation by. You may want to wait for verification from someone else.

so what am I doing wrong??? I added the first 2 from the list above, but the one below and the one after it both error out????

>>urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.man...6/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

added medium main

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]

retrieving description file of "main"...

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"...

ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.man.../base/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 7 or signal 0

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "main"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "main"

unable to update medium "main"

would like to urpmi the upgrade as soon as possible.....

Robert

Steve

OK, but I was also wondering how much the procedure itself requires disk space? I think that when I'm upgrading my machine downloads a bunch of rpm:s to /var/cache/urpmi (?) and then upgrades/installs them in proper order. My 700 MBs is surely (?) enough to do this, but if I had only about 50 MBs in / , /home and a little swap I would propably receive some error messages when upgrading.

Anyway, this is not going to be "real" problem for me so I'll move on.

frosterrj

I think that it's some kind of connection problem that causes the error message. I remember getting those error messages sometime when doing urpmi update, and after a couple of hours waiting all worked fine again.

Maybe you can wait for a while and then try to urpmi upgrade again.

well, I seemed to get on OK by changing the sources in the urpmi list - got a great one at the USC

site - 160k on dsl for most of it.

However, :wall: , kde314tex will NOT go away so everything has been updated halfway and cant continue since it cant remove the kde packages. And --force doesnt work on rpm -e either.

I think I have all the stuff I need in var/cache/urpmi/rpms, but how can I get rid of tex? For some reason, all the Gnome stuff got updated, now running 2.4, but there's no panel, and my desktop arrangement has all my old KDEtex icons!, and KDE desktop is totally blank. Really weird. Even being half destroyed, I am still able to get mozilla and my ethernet card to work. :D

hanks,

robert

well, finally success. Had to reinstall 9.1 from powerpack cds to get rid of Texstar kde314, then it seemed to go smoothly, with the exception of gnorpm which caused an install error because some .so files couldnt be removed by urpmi, but now I am:

[root@laptoplinux robert]# cat /proc/version

Linux version 2.4.22-21mdk (qateam@updates.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)) #1 Fri Oct 24 22:43:28 MDT 2003

I never did get any PLF sources for urpmi to work, luckily I only needed the USC sources for all the packages.

Thanks for the tips in the thread. :D