Non LG CDROM also affected? MDK 9.2 upgrade

frosterrj

I just got the download edition and tried to upgrade my 9.1 install (fresh install just before trying to upgrade) on a Dell CpiA 366 with a Toshiba CDRom.

Problem is that the load starts, looks for USB devices, then says its trying to find the CDROM (well it just read the cd to get the initial process started) and then I get a loop I cant get out of - choose a module, try another device (HD, FTP, etc), just have to power off to start over. I looked at the logs, but cant tell where its going wrong. Only thing I see is its looking for hdc, which I dont remember ever using, but fstab shows hdc, so it looks right.

My 9.1 disks loaded with no prob. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

As far as I know, only LG was dumb enough to use a command in their firmware that has a different universal meaning everywhere else! :wink: Toshiba is a superior company that would not do that.

The loop sounds like a bad burn or a bad download. Did you check the md5sums?

Hmm.. how can they have the cds if the isos are not open to the public yet?

Anyway, I have a feeling it was burned wrongly, or scratched during delivery. I'll wait until the real iso, or better yet, the remastered cd to appear and get it then.

Well, the problem with an error like a bad burn or a bad download is that the erroneous information will create other issues. There is no way to tell a bad cd or bad download except to run the md5sum on the iso prior to burning. I have burned some disks in the past that did not work right. I just re-burned and everything was fine. I agree with dragonmage, on the market cd's are made by someone other than Mandrake, so the chances of errors are higher. That's my guess.

I'm working on the install review (so newbies know what to expect) for 9.2, the 9.1 version is on my site.

Just hit alt-F2 (I think, could be ctrl-F2) and you will get a message about a screenshot being made. (Maybe I put the right keystroke on the web; doesn't hurt to experiment; ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to the install...)

They end up in /root/Drak-X or so.

Since I was messing around, I figured out (ctrl-? )alt-F1 gets one type of 'whatsgoingon' screen (text), (ctrl-)alt-F3 shows the immediate activity, including what image is being shown; ctrl-alt-F2 gets you to a terminal.

So I did a copy of all images that are shown during installation of the packages, there was only one new image, all others were Mandrake standard 'commercial' messages. During the installation. Toying with the idea of putting those images on the web, for all those mdk-is-selling-out shouters....

• 3 weeks later...

I can't confirm that ral, but according to Mandrake:

from http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3

NOTE: Based on information we have received from LG Electronics' technicians, only CD-ROM models are affected by this bug. DVD-ROM/R/RW and CD-RW devices are not affected.

So it seems pretty safe that you should be OK. I have one of their dvd drives (LG DVD-ROM DRD-8160B) that survived through a 9.2 install.