Mandriva 2010.0 Alpha 2 is now available

Greg2

The Cooker forum looks pretty quiet - I wonder why?

Could it be that, like myself, other people don't have the bandwidth available to download 3/3.5Gb of data for a testing distribution?

For the past couple of years I have always had a go with Cooker, but if you can't fit it onto a CD I won't be doing so again.

I stopped using Sabayon for the same reason, not everyone has an unlimited internet connection.

Of course it could just be that everyone is on holiday at this time of year, or it could be that a lot of folks think that 700Mb is enough for something that might not work well anyway.

Could it be that, like myself, other people don't have the bandwidth available to download 3/3.5Gb of data for a testing distribution?

I don't have that much bandwidth available either. It would take me 15 – 19 hours to d/l it. But, if you have a wired connection you can use the boot.iso, it's only 31.4 MB.

Actually I am using the boot.iso image to install even stable Mandriva releases.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this boot.iso? What does it do? And should I want it, where would I get it from?

It provides options to install over a network (from a local or remote mirror) or from an iso file or "mirror" on a local hard dive. It's available on the repo's or the installation disks (other than the live CD's) in /i586(or x86-64)/install/images.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

Thanks to jkerr for saving me typing a few chars more.

Actually, the main advantage of installing Mandriva with the boot.iso is that it allows you almost full control over what you install. You want a no-gui server? No problem, tick a couple of boxes, you have it. Want KDE? Same procedure. Want a minimal Fluxbox/LXDE desktop? Two clicks, and there you go.

The only "minus" is that you need a working net pipe to install from boot.iso. For me, it's a non-issue, as I generally install Mandriva under VirtualBox/VMware, where the virtual network interface is working without any fuss, but I can't tell if networking is working with boot.iso when you are on wifi, and using a peculiar wlan interface, which requires ndiswrapper, and/or firmware uploading.

Edited by scarecrow

Well, I am glad nexus is enlightened, but I am damned if I am!

This boot.iso thing is not on any mirror that I have access to and if as JKerr said it is "in the repos" then that assumes that I have a version of Mandriva which is using the Cooker repos, and at the moment I don't, that was the point of the enquiry. Perhaps your expecting me to install 2009.1,change the repos to 2010 and then update it? I did this last year and I ended up downloading about 1.5Gb which is too much.

So could some kind soul explain what you are all talking about here, because I wouldn't mind testing 2010 but I won't do so if I have to download more than a CD's worth to get started.

A good starting point for me would be a link to where this boot.iso thing actually lives.

A good starting point for me would be a link to where this boot.iso thing actually lives.

On any mirror - as I should have written, instead of "in the repo's", for example:

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/cooker/i586/install/images/boot.iso

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

Ok I have had a look at it now and sorry to say it isn't helping me.

I have the boot.iso file, burnt it to disk, booted from it, selected ftp install, 2010, set up networking, all hunky dory. The problem comes with the mirror selection. I have tried 4 different mirrors now from the included choices, and in every case I get a brief message saying "given file does not exist" then an installation screen for Mandriva 2009 Spring!

There is an option to specify a mirror manually, which I haven't tried, basically because I think that if 2010 is not on the French "coffee" mirror (and apparently it isn't) then it isn't going to be anywhere else either.

Am I doing something stupid here or is it that the servers are overloaded?

For example I can't connect to the server link that Jim gave 2 posts back - that says overload (which is what you get for releasing DVD only distros incidentally!)

It is just that this way of installing is new to me so I don't know if it is a server problem or a 'me' problem :D

PS Thanks for the link Jim I had a read through that but it doesn't help with this particular problem.