aureal sound card

Guest Brit

Jeez, Brit.

Talk about stubborn.....

hehe :wink:

I don't know anything about the aureal drivers,,,,,

sometimes I just give up myself and Im pretty stubborn.

I just had to abandon Mandrake on my laptop to get my wireless networking working....

Thats stubborn :D

Now Im trying to learn the intricacies of Debian ...... it involves a lot of reading too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gowator

Its been a long time since we chatted.

Yes i am very stubborn and i have been working on sound for a couple of days with no success yet....but not giving up yet!!

this is where i am at so far i redownloaded the drivers from cvs and installed yet again, still not working though.

I just keep getting the gcc2 compile error. I have tried insmod soundcore and i know thats loaded and then insmod -f au88.30.o. Nothing.

My next step is read more and more and more.

This is what i got when i did lsmod

[brit@localhost brit]$ lsmod

Module Size Used by Tainted: PF

soundcore 6276 0 (autoclean)

sg 34636 0 (autoclean) (unused)

st 29488 0 (autoclean) (unused)

sr_mod 16920 0 (autoclean) (unused)

sd_mod 13100 0 (autoclean) (unused)

scsi_mod 103284 4 (autoclean) [sg st sr_mod sd_mod]

ide-cd 33856 0 (autoclean)

cdrom 31648 0 (autoclean) [sr_mod ide-cd]

af_packet 14952 1 (autoclean)

floppy 55132 0

tulip 44032 1 (autoclean)

ohci1394 19048 0 (unused)

ieee1394 45900 0 [ohci1394]

nls_iso8859-1 3516 3 (autoclean)

ntfs 76812 3 (autoclean)

usb-uhci 24652 0 (unused)

usbcore 72992 1 [usb-uhci]

rtc 8060 0 (autoclean)

ext3 59916 2

jbd 38972 2 [ext3]

and what else modrpobe au8830 results in this:

[brit@localhost brit]$ modprobe au8830

Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound/au8830.o will taint the kernel: no license

See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound/au8830.o: create_module: Operation not permitted

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound/au8830.o failed

modprobe: insmod au8830 failed

Sue

From CVS you will probably continue to get the same errors if you did once. It looks like the drivers contain some binary, non open-source code that they haven't reverse engineered yet.

If CVS gives you the errors then you will have to either:

1) try getting it to work with ALSA - which still may give the same results

2) see if there are any more up to date drivers - this is VERY unlikely because CVS is bleeding edge. The only possibility of this is if there has been some kind of fork and someone else has written more up to date drivers...

If you want to continue - keep going down the ALSA route would be my suggestion...

thanks for all your help phunni

I havent given up yet, i am going to try with the alsa drivers, and see if i can get it working.

Just as a side note is there anywayto make sure that everything is deleted before i try again, i know i have downloaded tha alsa drivers before so i wanted to get them off first and then get rid of the aureal drivers and hope that i can start from scratch.

Again thansk for your time i really do appreciate all the help

Sue

run make uninstall on everything - it may not work, but it will help if it does...

Delete any downloaded directories and any directories that you have unzipped into.

If make uninstall doesn't work, then go through and delete any file that has been installed bu a "make install" - the output of previous attempts will tell you what to look for.

That should clean you out - ready to try again :) Well done - I'm impressed at your determination!

hi

Ok i deleted everything and started again with the alsa drivers

this is what i did:

./configure --with-cards=au8830 --with-sequencer=yes;make;make install

that seemed to go fine but the only problem i can see is at the end and i havent got a clue what it all means so if there is anyone out there that can translate this for me into english i would be grateful.

/sbin/depmod -a 2.4.21-0.13mdk

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/sound/pci/au88x0/snd-au8830.o

if [ -L /usr/include/sound ]; then

rm -f /usr/include/sound;

ln -sf /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-0.9.7c/include/sound /usr/include/sound;

else

rm -rf /usr/include/sound;

install -d -m 755 -g root -o root /usr/include/sound;

for f in include/sound/*.h; do

install -m 644 -g root -o root $f /usr/include/sound;

done

fi

if [ -d /sbin/init.d ]; then

install -m 755 -g root -o root utils/alsasound /sbin/init.d/alsasound;

elif [ -d /etc/rc.d/init.d ]; then

install -m 755 -g root -o root utils/alsasound /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound;

elif [ -d /etc/init.d ]; then

install -m 755 -g root -o root utils/alsasound /etc/init.d/alsasound;

fi

cat WARNING

WARNING!!! The mixer channels for the ALSA driver are muted by default!!!

You would use some ALSA or OSS mixer to set the appropriate volume.

Sue

hey once last thing

i tried to run modprobe

modprobe snd-au8830

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: unresolved symbol snd_verbose_printk

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed

modprobe: insmod snd-au8830 failed

Not sure what to do from here.... :(

I asked on irc and someone reckoned that it could be an issue that requires a kernel recompile. Let's check before we do anything though...

as root cd to /usr/src/linux and enter:

make menuconfig

Select Code Maturity level options and press enter. There should be only one option inside - we need to know if it's checked or not...

Edit: Also check to see if "set version information..." is checked under Loadable module support

hey phunni

did that and there is only one option which is prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers...it has a star next to it so i believe its checked.

Didnt see anything that said version information

Sue

OK - you're probably going to have to recompile your kernel. Now, I should point out that this is only a possible solution to your problem - it will hopefully fix it, but it may not...

That said - it's not a bad idea.

As long as you keep your existing kernel, it is entirely safe to create a new one

Use this tutorial as a basis

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS UNCHECK THE SET VERSION INFO BOX AND MAKE SURE THE OTHER ONE I MENTIONED IS CHECKED

If you use lilo as your boot manager, then you may need a bit more help - post back if this is the case...

Obviously feel free to play with any other options - but it may be worth while just doing it simply for now and only changing the ones you need for this... After that - you can repeat the process and create as many experiemental kernels as you need - and learn loads in the process...

Have fun and shout if you need more help :D

hi all

I decided to recompile the kernel...and i thought it was fine but when i try to boot up i get the following error message:

kernel panic no init found

ah well i must of done something wrong so back to the drawing board to figure out out what that something was

Sue

Did you remove any entries on your lilo/grub config? If so you will need to try and put them back - this should give you the ability to reboot into your old kernel.

You can use your mandrake CDs to enter into resuce mode. This will allow you to boot into your system and try and go over what you did and fix any problems. As long as you have on booting kernel (your original one at least should be that) then you are fine. Obviously at the moment, that's not the case so use rescue mode to go over the steps and try to fix it.

Make sure you followed every step in the tutorial exactly As far as the config goes - you only needed to change one thing I think - but everything else should have been as the tutorial...

Did you perform this step:

Make a new initrd firstly, by typing in mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.19-1custom.img 2.4.19-1custom and pressing Enter.
?

Hi

Been trying to fix it all morning, booted from the cd and went into rescue. Just a point, there really isnt that much you can do whilst in rescue (Or am i not putting the right commands in).

I wanted to try and reinstall the old kernel and then start from scratch again, but i thought it was in /usr/src/linux. But that directory doesnt exsist.

I will keep on plugging at it.

PS Yes at least im learning :D

Sue