master slave connections

jeanrev

If you are talking about an ide device, then do the following:

1) Look at your fstab to see where your other devices reside. Linux identifies these devices as hda for Primary master, hdb for primary slave, hdc for secondary master, and hdd for secondary slave. The numbers after the letter designate partitions on that particular device. So hdd8 would be partition number 8 on a secondary slave device.

2) After identifying an available position, set the jumper on the device to correspond to either master or slave, depending on what is available.

3) Open your computer, and install the device into that position. On ide channels that support ATA100 or ATA133 or similar specs, the master devices must be at the end of the cable.

Note that serial, usb, parallel, or firewire devices do not need any of this.

Just remember that different devices have different jumper settings. I don't think its a standard..

Standard ??? I wish, when the drive is stuck inside and your too lazy to get it out it beings a whole new feeling to plug and prey. Every manufactuer seems different and they keep shifting spare pins into the equation too.

:arrow: :banghead:

It is true that you must look at the jumper settings. There is no standard as far as where the pins are located. Some devices are automatically master unless you set the junper for slave. And watch out for "cable select". it is an evil thing, only used by proprietary brands. I'm not sure why it is included on all devices, since I have never used it in almost 10 years of building computers! :roll: (The one compaq that actually used it was a job that I switched out the mb, so no more use for that!)

I've never had troble with over-complicated jumper settings on Western Digital hard Drives. I have with everyother brand, but I love those WD's.

As for the original question, I think you guys are REALY over complicating things. You don't need to know anything about what possition mandrake thinks things are in and you DEFINATELY don't need to look at the fstab.

Assuming we're talking about an IDE/EIDE/ATAPI interface, the cable always has plugs for two devices. THe middle plug is the slave and the end plug is the master. If you only have one drive it should always be the master. Check the label on your drive, some drives have different jumper settings for Master w/slave present and master w/o slave present. If you are adding it to the midle plug of a cable that already has a drive on the end, set the new drive to slave and the one on the end to master w/slave plesent.