Kmail or Evolution?

lil gorsebush penguin

I have Kmail on my computer (linux mandrake 9.1) but i am having a lot of problems comfiguring my email account (it's my Uni account on their shared internet access). now this may be because i have been having some connection problems (you know universities, if you don't cough up the money right away they cut you off!!) but I have also be told that Evolution was good... is one easier or better than the other? (or is this just a really stupid question that makes it blaintly obvious I know nothing about computers?)

PS I am a complete novice in Linux so please explain things in very small words... :oops:

i usually use evolution, but it's just personal preference. when i first installed, i looked at both and made an arbitrary decision. evolution is more like M$ outlook, but i never use any of the features in evolution other than as a plain e-mail client. your problem sounds like it's more likely on the university connection end of things than a problem with the email client... just open them both up and see if you like one over the other. there are a lot of other choices that people swear by too, including sylpheed and thunderbird--might wanna check those out, and delete 'em if you don't like them.

p.s. don't sweat being a newbie, you're doing great for a dog :D

I'm a Kmail user. I tried to use Evolution in each new version released during the last year plus, but it has some funny quirks that bother me. If you need to use multiple accounts and gpg/pgp or ssl email I strongly suggest Kmail over Evolution for ease of setup and compatibility with users of MS forms of email.

Bottom line, they both are ok, and it is personal preference. Try both and then choose, just set one up to "leave mail on server" until you decide which one you want to use full time.

This is a normal linux pb...too much choice....

I'd stick to kmail because i know its already set-up from your superkaramba tuxbar. :D

Also you are using the KDE desktop which integrates nicely with Kmail.

The thunderbird client is another option but this is still in its infancny.

You can easily update to the latest kmail OR evolution using the urpmi sources (which are the ones which access the new progs across the internet).

Remember to click the 'leave mail on server' until you decide because otherwise you will end up with your mail spread between the two and have to reconcile it later.

:wink:

• 1 year later...
Guest TheDumbPenguin

I'm also a newbie, but prefer KMail. The only thing is that I changed my default e-mail program in KDE components chooser, but when I click on a link in Firefox it opens evolution :angry:

I have looked through the forum and have not seen how to fix this. I was wondering if un-installing evolution might work. Any help would be appreciated. LOVIN' LINUX! :headbang: