New to linux - need help w/ tar.gz files

Guest GreenfieldMusicman

Guest GreenfieldMusicman

Hi everybody, I am new to linux (I got fedup w/ Windows and decided to erase windows and put Mandrake 9.1 on my computer). Unfortunately, I can not figure out how to install tar.gz source files. I did some research and found out that to "CD a directory" means to change the working directory. But I am unsure how to go about doing that, and pretty much everything else. If someone could possible go into specifics on how to do things, and email me (at: musicman@musicunlmtd.com) or post them on here I would greatly appreciate it. I realize there is a lot of posts on this, but they still don't make sense to me. When someone says, type make, I don't know where I am supposed to type it. I know there is some pretty cool free software fo Linux, but unfortunately I can't install it until I Figure out how to. I know how to install .rpm files (thats pretty easy) but most software for linux are the tar.gz files. I am know quite a bit about computers, but Linux is new to me, and I need help.

Thank you for your time and effort,

-Jon

P.S. I do know how to extract the files though.

This is mentioned a few other places here, but typically to install software from tar.gz files after it is extracted you need to follow these steps:

As your normal user, open a terminal and cd to the directory created when you issued the tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz command

Type ./configure

Then, when that's done, type make

After that's done and assuming there are no errors, su to root and type:

make install

This will install everything for you. Assuming there were no errors, you will now be good to go.

I realize that's a very basic explanation, but that's really all you need to do to install a program from source.

Configure your mandrake whit http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php and you have no more problems to install software.

Next go to your MCC and software/RPMdrake and search.

That is an easier way, but not everything that you might want to install is in urpmi (example is the fluxbox devel version)

Also, and easier way to install software using urpmi is to open a console, su to root and type

urpmi <packagename>

I am in the process of learning the same thing.

cd /home/kilimanjaro/updates/open-office

you have to go(cd) to the directory where the file is. In this case it is in open-office

tar -xvzf {OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install}.tar.gz

In the parenthisis(don't include them) is the file name

for this progam it made another file witch I then had to

cd /newfile

cd /OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install

and then it is either

./install

or

./configure

I'm not sure which I try one or the other and see what works.

I'm not sure if this is very clear, but it can be very frustrating! I have been learn how this work over the past few weeks. If you are new it is much easier to start with rpms if you can find them. Rpms you just download and then clivk on them. The hard part is making sure you have all of the dependentcies.

If it helps you can check some of what I have been going through at

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=8425

Hi everybody, I am new to linux (I got fedup w/ Windows and decided to erase windows and put Mandrake 9.1 on my computer). Unfortunately, I can not figure out how to install tar.gz source files. I did some research and found out that to "CD a directory" means to change the working directory. But I am unsure how to go about doing that, and pretty much everything else. If someone could possible go into specifics on how to do things, and email me (at: musicman@musicunlmtd.com) or post them on here I would greatly appreciate it. I realize there is a lot of posts on this, but they still don't make sense to me. When someone says, type make, I don't know where I am supposed to type it. I know there is some pretty cool free software fo Linux, but unfortunately I can't install it until I Figure out how to. I know how to install .rpm files (thats pretty easy) but most software for linux are the tar.gz files. I am know quite a bit about computers, but Linux is new to me, and I need help.

Thank you for your time and effort,

-Jon

P.S. I do know how to extract the files though.

I was in this position a few months ago. First extract the files into their own directory, then go into that directory and right click and then click "open terminal here" and thats where you type in the commands. :)

Guest GreenfieldMusicman

Ok, thank you everybody for the quick reply. I am still a bit confused with what to type in the terminal. I apoligize to all, this probably seems a bit repetitive. But could someone type step by step what I'm supposed to do...

(i.e..... 1) _________________________

2)_________________________

3)_________________________

Thank you,

-Jon

I can't wait to use some of the cool software in linux

As someone mentioned there's often a readme file which will "usually" give instructions on installation.

1. It's hard to cover every situation but assuming you're already in that directory and you have a terminal open type the following at the prompt:

./configure

2. Wait until it's done and if you have no errors then the next step is to type:

make

3. After that's finished in the terminal type:

su root

password

You have to be root user to install the program.

4. As root you will type:

make install

Hopefully all is well and your program is installed correctly.