where 'o where is my app

durvish

Newbie here,

Just downloadd 9.1 and had a perfect install and update.

Then I downloaded Yahoo Messenger .rpm and right clicked it for the install option ---- Mandrake says it installed fine, but I can't find it!

Is this usual for Mandrake or should it have installed and added an icon to the desktop?

durvish

I have no experience with yahoo messenger, but it is rare that an installed program puts an icon on the desktop. in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever seen that. If you are in kde or gnome, go to the "start" area of the bottom bar, and go to networking/instant messenging. do you see it there?

well, we can see where those things installed to by doing this in a terminal

as root:

updatedb

locate yahoo

that will tell you where the program installed to. It is likely that many will be returned, so if you wanna paste the return from that command, we'll see where we can go from there.

This is not meant to offend you and I'm sorry if it does. (I had this problem at first, too) One thing one has to get over is the Windows mindset. "Hey, I can just click on an installation program and it'll clutter my desktop with more icons." In Linux, the GUI is totally separate from the OS, so when someone writes software and packages it, they have no idea what desktop environment you are using so they can install icons for you. They wouldn't waste time with adding subroutines to test for all possibilities, either. Anyway, nine times out of ten, after installing an RPM, there will be an item added to your 'Start' menu in the correct submenu. IM proggies might be: Networking -> Instant Messaging (or Chat). Sometimes, maybe they don't. Sometimes it takes logging out of X and back in to see it. A quick way to find where the executable went is:

rpm -ql name-of-package-without-the-rpm-extension

That lists all the files it creates. You can also do

rpm -ql name-of-package-without-the-rpm-extension | grep bin

to weed out everything but the executables, because most of the time the executables go in /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin, blahblahblah.

'k so I went on the great file search (which I needed to do anyway so I can get used to the Linux file system)and I found Yahoo all nicely packed in a file. Once I ran the exe it stuck an icon on the desktop (but sadly not in the start tree). Then I found the panda software --- but it was in Spanish! Since I was just going to try it out I'll just uninstall and find another app.

Thanks for all the help guys --- I'm feeling a little more comfy with Linux now due to this so it all worked out in the end!