Ubuntu 9.04 is out!

How long do you have E17? awfully long time waiting to see a mobile desktop. But it was a BETA. Now, does it work? ....Lex

Yes, it does work, and it's quite stable. But , as Tyme said above, it should be considered a window manager, not a Desktop Environment. The applications that come bundled with it are at worst prebeta quality, and at best almost usable.

Plenty of eyecandy too, although you can't use compiz (fusion) with it- as well as with any other window manager.

You should really avoid using their DM (Entrance), as it does not work properly with PAM. Either choose GDM, or XDM, or get in simply via "startx"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as other have mentioned.

The file manager is just a complete waste of space :( .. I think

Haven't tried the login manager .. gdm works just fine.

I'm using nautilus --no-desktop as it is installed "out of the box" with ubuntu

The "light" themes are few and far between.

Some things in the "configurator" just don't work .. fortunately busting out the VIM works just fine ;) (I'm talking about menu editing)

THere are many many modules and gadgets that simply do not work on this release. they will compile, but cause E to crash

post-3-1241039156_thumb.png

I tested the E17Beta two years ago. Installed ready to insert the Mandriva DVD. Ugly icons and fonts. In contrast, I saw a film about the E17 desktop and move nicely from left to right. Very fast. From the menu I could not deal with. It works vice versa. All in all, and as always go back to KDE (k3b, etc.). Now test LXDE. The problem is this: the higher it is the environment becomes complex and underdeveloped.

LXDE is a different beast. It is not a window manager, but a DE, using Openbox as default WM (although there should be no trouble replacing Openbox with kwin, xfwm4, fluxbox, or pretty much any WM, including compiz ones.

It's nice and simple and all that, the default filemanager (PCManFM) is very good, but for me it consumes a tad more resources than XFCE4- so I cannot really call it "a light DE".

My whole system is at the xfce4 but expanded it with KDE4 and LXDE itself does not know how do you installed?. Xfce4 installed, however, the Polish version of the developer with any add-ons, Version ONE. Now I do not know, unless I have a newer system than the one that downloads from the Internet. So the newest jewel Mandriva 2009 Spring DVD ....Lex