Guarddog/gnutella

kilimanjaro

I use guarddog and I have found that if you disable guarddog from within the program (using the Advanced tab) that it flushes the iptables and leaves your system without any firewall.

This leads me to think kilimanjaro, that there is something wrong with gnutella not your firewall (particulaly if you have not altered the protocols within your firewall. I haven't used gnutella so I can't help you there. Good luck!

Hi

Can I suggest you continue to use guarddog, its the easier firewall to use and it has a help file linked to KDE.

Read on if you want gnutella

1) open a terminal and type "su" and then your password when prompted the type guarddog.

2) Click on the Protocl tab then click on File sharing and look for the right hand box next to GNUTELLA

3) click with mouse in that box until you get a TICK, it cycles thru blank tick and reject

4) click on apply, it writes to iptables, assuming you haven't deleted it

5) exit and hopefully enjoy.

ps If you have tried that and the tick is already there, your servers may be using a non-standard port so click on advanced tab and click on add (LH bottom of screen) name it Gnu2 or whatever and put in the PORT number you find they are now using

• 2 weeks later...

Guard dog has now decided to prohibit all access with the internet regardless of how the protocols are set. I have to disable it just to come here. I have reset the protocols numerous times and it makes no difference. Is there any way to reset the program, or should I reinstall it? Is there another firewall I could change to?

Guest GorGor

Some others like FIRESTARTER you could search for that to see if that suits you.

I will try to talk you back to g/dog as follows. Its a small program that basically writes a script to IPTABLES. To have system wide effect it should be used from a terminal or command line after issueing the set user to root command SU.

You can safely remove guarddog and iptables from the Mdk control centre and choose to either load iptables first then guarddog and have another go OR put in another firewall.

since you mention you have no access I don't think gnutella is the immediate prob, even tho I don't use it. It may be a problem but it sounds like iptables is a MESS. so removing and re-installing iptables is a must no matter what choice you make.

Also have a look into your mcc (mdk control centre) at your services in SYSTEM. While you still have a faulty net service try to log on and check what services are now running. there are options for internet iptables and network. Check if they are running, it may be an answer

good luck

I have mandrake control centre open and the only place I can find ip tables are under Draxservices, and I can only start or stop them. I really don't know very much about ports or even what an ip table is. I have tried to use gnutella and overnet and neither could access the net. and now nothing can, unless guard dog is disabled. I am using 9.1 with fluxbox, I don't know if it amkes any difference.

Guest GorGor

I don't use fluxbox, assuming you have a mouse, does mcc have a section at the bottom called software, if so go in there and choose remove software to remove iptables and guarddog.

If you can't do that you can you the command line interface to delete the rpm files. I don't use them but the gurus do its looks like it may be

rpm -ev filename.rpm

They are different.

iptables-ipv6-1.2.7a-2mdk is on CD3 and is not installed... so it is available for you to install, whereas,

iptables-1.2.7a-2mdk is currently installed on your system and available to be removed (from CD1).

I agree with GorGor that you should uninstall guarddog, iptables, and gnutella... for the moment anyway and then go back into Mandrake Control Center and choose Security and DracSec. Select standard and this should then reset your computer's security to a reasonable level where you will have access to the net and also allow your apps access.

If later you decide you need more control you can add guarddog or firestarter through MCC --> Security --> DrakFirewall.

I uninstalled guarddo, firestarter, shorewaal, and the ip tables. I reinstalled shorewall and the ip tables. gnutella seems to be working fine now. I am not sure how to configure the fire wall I don't know what ssh is, or cups. I should probably go to the networking section for this.

Thank you everybody for your help.