fail to configure qt on mandriva 2008

auror4

Hallo

I'm newbie in Linux I using mandriva 2008.

To operate GPS processing Software, I need to install QT to /usr/local/qt

so I using qt-x11-free-3.3.8.tar.gz.

However I having problem in compile the configure file

I type

[root@localhost qt]# ./configure

and this is the results

"You don't seem to have 'make' or 'gmake' in your PATH"

I dont know what was wrong ??

I got a sugestion that I should install the make application or build packages or packages to set up/add a build system first, then install through package manager than I configure and compile the software from root

However how can I get that build packages, if I dont have mandriva installer anymore ?

How to install QT using package manager ? from the qt-x11-free-3.3.8.tar.gz file ?

Should I down grade to Mandriva 2007 ?

Thanks ...

There is no need to compile QT you can find all you need in 'Install & Remove Software' in the menu, or if you prefer use 'Configure Your Computer'.

yes I did tried to install it through that menu "Install & Remove Software", however I cant found it where the file located,

where should I placed the file ??

Do you have other sugestion to install qt

thanks ....

Compiling as root is no big deal if you trust the sources you are compiling.

However, a Makefile is able to launch anything, even the dreaded “rm -rf /†(DON'T TRY), so a “carefully-crafted Makefile†(as the saying goes) could wipe all your drives if compromized by a cracker and you run it as root.

Yves.

To operate GPS processing Software, I need to install QT to /usr/local/qt
I'm curious, which GPS software are you trying to use?

It might be that the software you want is already in the Mandriva repositories, so you don't even need to worry which other packages it needs. It will all be done for you automatically.

I'm curious, which GPS software are you trying to use?

It might be that the software you want is already in the Mandriva repositories, so you don't even need to worry which other packages it needs. It will all be done for you automatically.

I dont think is already in there ...I'm student working on my undergraduate thesis, I using GPS Bernesse 5.0, scientific software

I dont think is already in there ...I'm student working on my undergraduate thesis, I using GPS Bernesse 5.0, scientific software
Aha, well if you mean Bernese (with one "s") then you're right, that's very closed source. 24 thousand Francs for a single user licence! :o

But it also lists as a requirement "# C++ compiler on Unix/Linux platforms for compiling the user interface." so it sounds like you need a compiler anyway.

Don't compile Qt, just get it from the repositories (Look for Qt3 and also Qt3-devel). And it sounds like you'll need gcc and make too.

Aha, well if you mean Bernese (with one "s") then you're right, that's very closed source. 24 thousand Francs for a single user licence! :o

But it also lists as a requirement "# C++ compiler on Unix/Linux platforms for compiling the user interface." so it sounds like you need a compiler anyway.

Don't compile Qt, just get it from the repositories (Look for Qt3 and also Qt3-devel). And it sounds like you'll need gcc and make too.

exactly,,that's what I mean... I got this software from my Advisor, actually he lend me the software..

I had tried to type

[root@localhost qt]# urpmi gcc-c++

No package named gcc-c++

[root@localhost qt]# urpmi make

No package named make

I had tried to update repository online, but my mandriva 2008.0 seems not able to support that ???

I have found an ftp source, copy and paste the text from easy-urpmi into Konsole ( urpmi.addmedia ) and now I'm waiting for it to finish downloading the data-bases. then I will type urpmi libqt3-devel

What do you think ?? am I doing the right action ??

Do you have any suggestion ??

Regards ...

Me :)

Edited by auror4

I had tried to update repository online, but my mandriva 2008.0 seems not able to support that ???
Sure it does. If you go into the GUI "Add / remove software", does it ask you to set up the repositories? I'm sure it did this in 2008.0. Then you just follow the instructions to set up your updates and your additional sources. If it doesn't ask you automatically, you should be able to go into the Media Manager from the menu and add them from there. Maybe remove all your previous repositories first just to be sure. The wizard should be clever enough to find suitable repositories for you, then you just select one near you and you're done.

I have found an ftp source, copy and paste the text from easy-urpmi into Konsole ( urpmi.addmedia ) and now I'm waiting for it to finish downloading the data-bases.
What you're doing is fine and should work. It really shouldn't take too long though (depending on your internet connection). Downloading the lists of packages should be pretty quick. If you want it even quicker, just select the "synthesis" lists which contain less information.

It might take a little experimentation though - most repositories will be interested in hosting the 2009.0 and 2008.1 packages, and it might be that for your 2008.0 system they don't think it's worth keeping them any more. I don't know how frequently the repository lists are updated but it might be you have to try more than one to find one that is still holding the old 2008.0 code. (OK, not really old but more than a year old now and pretty soon will be 3 releases old)