XFree86 update question

kmack

Haven't updated XFree86 in past, but now there is a security update...

1) Can X be updated from the GUI / mdk update, or do you need to do it from cli?

2) Nvidia drivers will need reinstalled ? right? or is the version change minor enough to allow it to work? (4.3.x to 4.3.x?)

Interesting way to break the boredom of a clean running 9.1 config, eh? :lol:

To add to this question..

I select one of the Xfree86 updates and it wants to uninstall a load of stuff but when I select another it wants to re-install them back, and then once I've checked those 2 Mandrake Update won't let me select others?! :? Huh?

1) Can X be updated from the GUI / mdk update, or do you need to do it from cli?

Mandrake says, "To upgrade automatically, use MandrakeUpdate or urpmi."

But this being the GUI server I think it would be smarter to do it from the cli, that way xfree86 would'nt be loaded into memory and the update could then write or overwrite the files that it needs to.

For this update I'm going to reboot and goto runlevel 3 and urpmi from there. After it's all installed, I'll reboot again and goto the regular GUI login dialog box.

It would be a good idea to back-up your /etc directory first before upgrading xfree. For most people not having a GUI in linux would be a disaster.

You might want to install BitchX or some other text based IRC client so you could ask for help in the IRC channel if needed.

This xfree86 update will either be 100% ok, or 100% broken, thats the way I see it anyways.

I haven't applied the update. I've always done it cli/rpm. I do think it's smarter from console (init 3) and that's the only way I've ever done it. I've never had a prob but if I did I wouldn't have needed any text-based apps for the internet/help, because I would have just restore the previous instead of messing with attempting to fix something as tech as XFree86. You can reboot if you like but all that's necessary, or a good idea is;

service xfs restart

Have fun!

i did the update yesterday (9-12-03). i used GUI->MCC->update. i got all of the Xfree86 packages that were available (the font libs, the devel, etc.) all installed without a problem. i rebooted (just in case) & have been running smoothly since. i don't have an Nvidia card, though, so i don't know how it might affect users with that video card. my video card is an ATI/AGP rage pro Mach 4.

Chris

I did it via MCC, just like Chris. Halfway through I realised it might not be a good idea, but everything was installed without a hitch. There was one error message 'could not write to tmp file', but everything runs fine. I do have an NVIDIA card, with the glx installed, and as far as I can see, there is no problem.

But it does seem wiser to do it via cli.

derxen

Thanks to all for inputs and shared experiences!

Think I'll go the cli route and do a rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm to see how it goes before I do the real deal. My internet connection is too slow and unreliable for me to think I can download all those big files and patch it without a glitch. I'd hate to get halfway through and have it stall. I have all the files now so after church I'll backup and let it rip. Fun!

I'll report on results later.

8) I love Mandrake!

I decided to be a true Mandrake kind of guy, so instead of using rpm I did the XFree86 update using urpmi on the files I downloaded. (after all, it is smarter than plain ole rpm, right?) In case someone else needs to do this, here's what worked for me.

1) Downloaded all the XFree86 rpm's from the Mdk mirror using gftp into a new file folder by themselves.

2) Logged out of X and into text mode.

3) exit as user and logged in as root

4) cd to the folder with the rpms /home/kelly/downloads/x

5) Tested it with urpmi first: {thanks to the "man:man master aru" for teaching me this trick!}

[root@localhost x]# urpmi --test -v *.rpm

6) test indicated it would install properly

7) then ran urpmi w/o the --test option to install the upgrade

[root@localhost x]# urpmi -v *.rpm

I like to watch the verbose mode do its thing! 8)

8 ) exit as root and logged back in as user, started x and TA-TAH! :)

So far so good, not necessary to reinstall Nvidia at all and everything seems to work just fine. HTH someone else.