Upgrading GeForce2 to GeForce4 dangerous ?

Guest tiga

Dear friends :wink:

I got a GeForce2 in my machine which runs Mandrake 9.1 - Nvidia Drivers installed. Now i want to upgrade my system with a GeForce4 4200Ti AGP 8x (compatible to my system) but i am a little bit nervous about that. Will there be any problems with Mandy after the upgrade ? Is there anything i have to look for ? What can i do to get no problems with that ?

I have to ask you because i never did such an essential hardware - change under Linux. I´d even searched the board but found no topic which matches with my question.

Thanks for now and Greetzzz :P Tiga

You should probably be alright, but as a precaution, I would make sure I had the latest nvidia driver installer from nvidia on your computer. If it won't boot into X, giving you 'No screens found' or 'Screens found, but none have a usable configuration', then I would uninstall the NVidia and NVidia-kernel and reinstall them. I think you still have to delete the nvidia.o file from /lib/modules/2.4.21-13mdk/kernel/drivers/video after you uninstall and before you reinstall the nvidia stuff.

I've been told that anything higher than 2x AGP makes X unstable in MDK, but I'm running at 4x with Fast-writes enabled and no problems. If I remember correctly, I had very few problems when I went from a TNT2 to an MX440.

I did the same thing several months back with a GeForce 2 MX 400 ((I think?)) to the ti-4200. I didn't have any problems. But that was long ago, I couldn't tell you what Distro I was using and if I had to do anything specific?? :screwy:

You shouldn't have any problems though, just swap them out and see what happens. Just turn the power off first. :wink:

For an Nvidia card, I would go back to a console boot. I would change the card, and then after booting, reinstall the nvidia driver. (You have to be out of x to do this anyway.) Then I would boot back to graphic mode and be done!

Yes, boot to console>run drakconf>--uninstall nvidia>reinstall nvidia. This is being technical. All you really have to do is edit XFree86Config-4. Worked for me and I went from GF2 MX200 PCI to a GF4 MX 440SE AGP. Agp and the new card is detected and working. It's just a file and the driver is a driver, as long as you installed without compiling. If you compiled, uninstall and recompile for the new card. Heh, I compiled on debian and haven't recompiled and all is well. No biggy.

Yes, boot to console>run drakconf>--uninstall nvidia>reinstall nvidia. This is being technical. All you really have to do is edit XFree86Config-4. Worked for me and I went from GF2 MX200 PCI to a GF4 MX 440SE AGP. Agp and the new card is detected and working. It's just a file and the driver is a driver, as long as you installed without compiling. If you compiled, uninstall and recompile for the new card. Heh, I compiled on debian and haven't recompiled and all is well. No biggy.

No need to do the uninstall, if you download NVIDIA's latest driver. The install routine run from console, detects and removes the old driver, followed by installation of the new driver. Then you can edit XFree86Config-4

I've done this twice this year. once from GF2 --> GF4 ti second time from GF4 ti --> FX5600 .... this what i did

shutdown computer

remove old nvidia card

insert new nvidia card

start computer

easy huh ? ;-)

the only time you should need to re-install the drivers is if you compile a new kernel

I've done this twice this year. once from GF2 --> GF4 ti second time from GF4 ti --> FX5600 .... this what i did

Hoi ... FX5600 ... very nice card :wink:

Thx a lot Paul !

Greetzzz