Whats the cheapest way to network and Linun PC and a Win2 PC

ral

I have two machines sharing the same monitor, keyboard and mouse, via a KVM... can I network the two with a simple cable or do I need more hardware?

a simple cross-over cable would be fine. there are a lot of tutorials on the net on how to create one. :)

ciao!

If you make your own all you do is reverse the end for MDI-X.

He will need a 2nd ethernet card otherwise he'll be either or.

You should be able to stick the 2nd card in the either box and then use Internet connection sharing in Win or Shorewall in Mandy.

Also cheap and much nore convenient than kvm is your local charity/cheap/goodwill type store. Here we have one called NAM (Northwest Assistant Ministries). I got a $2.00 keyboard and a $12.00 15" monitor......makes configuring much nicer/faster/easier, not to mention ICS. :wink:

Also cheap and much nore convenient than kvm is your local charity/cheap/goodwill type store. Here we have one called NAM (Northwest Assistant Ministries). I got a $2.00 keyboard and a $12.00 15" monitor......makes configuring much nicer/faster/easier, not to mention ICS. :wink:

I think that type of Goodwill / Charity type store is a bit rare in the Phillipines, (I guess.. don't blame me if I'm wrong :roll: ) People in 3rd world nations just don't throw away keyboards, especially monitors. I know because I am in one right now. It makes me wish I bring my scuffed MS Natural Keyboard home from USA (I think that's the best thing that ever come out of MS, the keyboard I mean).

Anyway, to go back to topic, I am not sure how much a small networking hub cost in Phillipines, but in Indonesia, it still cost plenty. Making a crossover cable, even though it's a bit hard, can be the cheaper alternative if it is only to network 2 computers.

Thanks... okay got the cross cable working between the Win2K and Win98 PC. Now that I know it works, time to dump Win98 and put the Penguin back to work on that box.

Well second hand monitors and keyboards would cost a bit more than US $2 and US $12 here... though we have an active online second hand market. But yes, a second hand set would cost about as much as the $35 KVM I got.

I guess you might be wondering why...

Well I have a OC'ed AMD XP with 2x80mm intake and 2x80mm exhaust fans, a dual fan power supply and a 70mm 5600 rpm TMD fan on the heatsink. Even if each fan is pretty quite in itself.... well 7 fans still makes a fair amount of noise.

So I put together for myself a older box from parts I got from the warehouse of a local retailer... pretty cheap though no warranty. This are the buffer stocks they keep in case of RMA's... it has a low profile heatsink and silent exhaust fan... more civilized. When I am typing or surfing, I like using this one more.

Am kinda proud of it though:

Abit KT7A

Duron 1.0 @ 1.4GHz (9x155)

256MB Mushkin Rev. 3 PC133 @155MHz

30GB Maxtor HD

Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS Pro

Its the PC I wanted two years ago... but it wa so expensive than... got it for a song :)