Stupid Question #1, again

Lagrosse

How to set up Mandy box as gateway for Win98 network?

I started getting interested in Linux very shortly after I found the On switch to these silly things and have been trying to make a go of Open source for over a year and a half now.

I've read the manuals, the How-Tos, this board along with a few others and FUBARed this box more times than I care to remember to get this working and still no joy after a year of trying.

particulars:

Running Mandy 8.1 on an old Packard Hell

Linksys card

USRobotics Modem

Networking and gateway function work fine under the Redmond Stuff, though.

And every single time I try to use MCC it screws EVERYTHING up, even to the point that I can get my modem to connect but I can't browse ANYTHING!!

Any suggestions for the oldnewb?

Welcome on the forum Lagrosse. Do you know what 'Lagrosse' mean in French? .. 'TheBig' .. :lol:

Running Mandy 8.1 on an old Packard Hell

wow :P

Seriously, if I remember well, 8.1 was using Bastille as a Firewall. However I don't remember how to play with Bastille at all man. I suggest you to get the latest version (ie 9.1). Install it and look in the Mandrake Control Center. There is a nice and easy wizard there to share the internet. It works for me.

MOttS

Tried 9.1. Sent X down the toilet with both servers.

Not sure if I got a good copy or not though. There was some scuttlebutt that there was a bad ISO on the servers for a little while. And have tried using the update sites too.

(and yep, use LaGrosse as a nom de plume and a Furry persona)

Welcome!

I like setting my box up as a DHCP server and then other computers on the network require zero work, they just get passed an IP, DNS server and my IP as a gateway.

I use Webmin for most of my server configuration, it is nicely set out and still maintains the geek factor.

Otherwise, go ahead and use the wizard in the MCC, it works nicely and pretty much provides you with the same setup as I recommended.

ML8.1 doesn't have DrakGW for ICS does it? I just used it on ML9.1 and I can ping both ways but the browsers won't do anything in win98. How would you tell windows to use a win98 amd ml machine as a gateway?

they just get passed an IP, DNS server and my IP as a gateway.
Win or Lin machines....or both?

ML8.1 doesn't have DrakGW for ICS does it? I just used it on ML9.1 and I can ping both ways but the browsers won't do anything in win98. How would you tell windows to use a win98 amd ml machine as a gateway?
they just get passed an IP, DNS server and my IP as a gateway.
Win or Lin machines....or both?

Both. Some 'standards' actually do work :P

I didn't notice that Mandy 8.1 was part of the setup, I don't know if it has a Drake for that either, but you could still use Webmin.

yep, has draknet

but when it comes up it's window is blank and I have to KILL it after 5 minutes or so.

but as usual and this is the fourth time around, MCC has screwed up so bad that I can't browse a damn thing now.

I'll try installng Webmin before I do a clean and burn again. Strange how install works pretty well, but MCC is crap, though.

Maybe I'll try Linuxconf only next time.

MCC has come a long way. I remember it still being kinda dodgy with 9.0, but it has been great in 9.1, I use it all the time now (except it sometimes screws up the windows sizes in the Network wizard).

Anyway, if you are forced to use 8.1, then go the Webmin route, it is kinda complicated (compared to the MCC), but not too bad. Otherwise, why not switch to 9.1?

• 1 month later...

Just for grins category,too.

Got it working!!! Configured, reconfigured, cussed, fussed etc. But it's up and working.

I had been using MCC and when that wasn't working I would try Linuxconf.

Just for grins, (and because windoze ICS went south) decided to try the ICS Lizard 'one more time'. And it worked. All 3 windoze machines are accessing just fine.

And just for the record, 8.1 Does have drakgw.

The thing I'm wondering is, of all the things I've tried to get the nerwork up and runnig, there are only two distinct things that I've done recently. In the machine address I set <the name>.homelan with no domain suffix and I started using Black Box as an environment; it's much better for my little old machine.

But that's all folks, for now.

Thank you none the less.

I know this may not be the popular post in here as I see most of you are into the gui/wizard thang, but...

for me, the only way to do it is to learn the commands that the gui tools hide from you. After all, this is part of the reason I came to linux. Not just added reliability and more efficient processing, but to really be able to know what and why about everything the OS is doing.

My advice would be to read some of the other posts in "Networking" and search for things like "route" "ifconfig" "ifup/ifdown" and examining files like /etc/hosts & /etc/resolv.conf and/or /etc/nsswitch.conf

just my 2 cents.

I agree wholeheartedly. And don't think I haven't tried either.

I only found where the 'On" switch was on these things a little over 3 years ago but I'd like to have a little of the understanding that my sysadmin buddy does. He understands code naturally.

I know this may not be the popular post in here as I see most of you are into the gui/wizard thang, but...

for me, the only way to do it is to learn the commands that the gui tools hide from you.  After all, this is part of the reason I came to linux.  Not just added reliability and more efficient processing, but to really be able to know what and why about everything the OS is doing.

My advice would be to read some of the other posts in "Networking" and search for things like "route" "ifconfig" "ifup/ifdown" and examining files like /etc/hosts & /etc/resolv.conf and/or /etc/nsswitch.conf

just my 2 cents.

Me too!

Besides when you want something not in the Wizard your totally lost.

If you switch distro's your lost...

If mandrake goes broke your lost...

Knowing which files etc. and how to alter is just common sense. Its one thing WinBlows never did for me.

Hi!

Without exaggerating: I tried about 20 HOWTOs, 5 Manuals (Books), The Wizards of MDK 9.0 and 9.1, about 100 man-pages, Google-Searches all over and again and almost died of anger.

The only thing that did work was this HOWTO:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html

(You can also find it here in the Tutorials section under Networking)

Read it, understand it, do it, it works. MDK9[0/1]-Wizards always destroyed all my configuration files, as did Linuxconf.

I'll do a little introduction tutorial for newbies on this HOWTO when I find the time.

I always wonder why the Wizards work for anybody else, because they even put typos in the config files (In both MDK versions). They CAN'T work. Perhaps they work if you just click "next-next-next", but I wanted to have MY IP and no DHCP....

Bye.

PeterPanic

The one thing that you forgot to point out, also, is that Mandrake writes some of it's config files in different directories than where the HowTo's, {mostly Red Hat} indicate and the Mandrake Help files don't reflect this, either. They seem to be somewhat sparse and have the attitude of use the Wizard or nothing.

I realize that the main target users of Mandrake, for the most part, are used to that but to omit the changes and where to find the files and/or manually make the configs is something of an oversight; in my ignorant opinion that is.

I may be totally off base but that's the biggest hassles that I've found so far.