SoulSe

For how long have you been clean?  

1. 1. For how long have you been clean?

• More then 10 Years.
    • 5 - 10 Years.
    • 5 Months - 2 Years.
    • 2 - 5 Years.
    • Less then 5 months.

I use windows (argh!!!) full time at work and for domestic reasons (my wife) have a dual boot setup at home.

As a ex windows and recently a ex MacOs user, I've decided to introduce myself to the freedom of choice and nowadays running linux for only 3 months. No words to describe how it has been. Each boot a new experience!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use windows (argh!!!) full time at work and for domestic reasons (my wife) have a dual boot setup at home.  

As an ex windows and recently an ex MacOs user, I've decided to introduce myself to the freedom of choice and nowadays running linux for only 3 months. No words to describe how it has been. Each boot a new experience!!

I've been windex free for a few months now.

I have however been running WinMX (P2P filesharing) through wine, I've found GTK-Gnutella too slow, and the others are simply unstable, lots of deps (use a lot of space), refuse to work with my cable or are just slow. Besides WinMX is very very good.

I still have to use Windex at school, (although cygwin+firebird makes things more fun). And ocasionaly my dad's laptop for other reasons like scanning, printing and mp3 player.

James

I have however been running WinMX (P2P filesharing) through wine, I've found GTK-Gnutella too slow, and the others are simply unstable, lots of deps (use a lot of space), refuse to work with my cable or are just slow. Besides WinMX is very very good.

WinMX is great, I used to use it when I was on Winblows. Have you checked out Limewire though? it is gnutella, but it seems to work great. It requires Java, but that isn't a huge problem.

I voted 2-5, but I think more would be closer to reality.

I began with Linux (and PC) in aug-1999. At this time my rage128 video card had no driver (not even 2D). So I installed a Windows partition, that lasted for 1 year. I have actually used it for only 1 month (because then SuSe made a 2D driver for the rage128).

So 1 month of Windows since I bought my PC. And before, I had an Atari.

Yves.

I can't really vote because I do have a windows partition until december (when I'll not have any classes anymore, mainly visual studio type classes that make me unclean)

I have been using linux for 2 years, booting only ever into it for about a year (when I got my USR modem that works instead of my internal winmodem).

Come december I get clean for sure - 2 or 3 distros, no windows. I'd really like to try SuSE and that quebec mandrake derivative :D

Guest paul.clarkson

I prefer to think of it as linux-empowered! I don't use Linux out of some hatred for Microsoft. I use it because it does what I want it to when I want it to. It's only cheaper if your time is free, and it takes a lot more effort (for me anyway) but the results are worthwhile.

But I digress ... I have my computer fully windows free since I installed Linux for the first time in January. My wife's computer (as of last week - at last I convinced her!!!) now runs Linux - Mandrake/BlackBox gui on a 233Pentium with 64k RAM, and it works a treat.

I must own up to one W2000 partition on my wifes computer that I use ONLY for transferring music to my sony NetMD minidisc player. If anyone knows how I can do that on Linux, I'd love to hear it but my understanding is Sony have encrypted it so you have to use their software .....

Paul C

I do have windows partitions, but I have not booted into Windows since 9.1 was installed on my computers. The only reason I still have any windows partitions is due to the fact that all of my mp3's are on a fat32 partition (if anyone knows how I can convert a 30 gig partition to ReiserFS without losing any of the data that is on it, I would love to hear it)

I use windows at work, but only cause I'm forced to.

Anyway, I voted 5 mos - 2 years, but that may be cheating since I do posess Windows partitions. Again, anyone know how I can convert that one drive? If I could do that; I would be Windows free on my desktop in a heartbeat.

Guest paul.clarkson

Surely you can just mount the partition as vfat? just create the directory under /mnt and them mount it in the usual way. Or use Diskdrake.

Paul C

It's ok to have a FAT32 partition, it doesn't signify you as a Windoze user. I maintain mine for file compatibility reasons. Eventually, I will be connecting my laptop (mandated to be WinXPee by my company) to my home PC via SAMBA and it would be nice to have an actual FAT32 partition to be accesible by both systems.

In the beginning I was trying to get SAMBA and other things to work nicely, then I realised I was putting in more effort to keep windows around for me and my girlfriend than to convert completely to linux.

This year I have not booted to windows, last time must have been around Nov 2002.

I played one game, starcraft, that I haven't managed to get running (network play) on linux. But no worries, I can live without that. And I got Majesty for Linux, very nice too.

Started using linux at Uni in 96/97; first installation in 98 (easylinux, corellinux, then mdk7.something), got my first computer in 2001, dualbooted, then got a new one in March 2002, dualboot (again, win98 and mdk), installed linux on my girlfriends machine too, got her to use it more and more, helped her get clean at the same time I got clean.

She protested a lot, but I just said: listen, I don't want to waste any more time figuring out how to fix stupid MSWin/Office problems if I can invest that same time to fix stupid linux problems. In the first case I'll be supporting the evil empire, in the second, I'm ultimately supporting me, myself and I.

I also got people around me to use linux, and the emails to explain how to do things/get started got so lengthy and resent all the time, that I decided to turn it into my website...

edit: by the way, my system still has the win98 partition since it was neatly used by Mdk to grab the fonts... ;)

Good points aRtee.

I find it amazing the effort people put into getting Windows stuff to work instead of spending more time gettng linux stuff to work.

I'm not talking about people using it for school or whatever but just for things they haven't invested thetime in linux to get working.

It seems easy to start off but then ... you just end up making more work for yourself. I got Notepad running under wine once.... that was enough.

The best thing I ever did was stop dual booting my laptop. It forced me to get lots of stuff working under linux and freed up precious disk space.

Once I took the plunge it wasn't as hard as I expected, in fact it was easier than all the messing about Id been doing supporting two environments.