Mandrake 9.1 compatible with this hardware ?

Guest Strat

Hi,

I like to install Mandrake 9.1 on my second PC, but I don't know if the hardware are compatible, its :

- Mainboard : Gygabyte ga-6vxe+ (for Pentium III)

- CPU : Penitum III 500Mhz

- Memory : 1x256 SDRam 100mhz (no name)

- Hard disk : an old Maxtor 13 GO 5400/min

- Graphic card : Nvidia Rive TNT2

Can I launch KDE or Gnome with full option with this configuration ?

No problems.

I use an AMD Athlon 500 and I don't have any speed/performance problems with Mandy 9.1. The P3 500 is slightly slower, but should be fine.

All your hardware should be supported out of the box, you will just need nVidia drivers, as Pzatch said.

I'd use something lighter like WindowMaker (in fact I'm using that with my P3 600 (Katmai) Compaq with ATI Rage128 onboard). KDE and GNOME will make your system crawl. But it's just me being very sensitive to speed, as my other machine is a P4-C 2.4@3.3GHz :P

You are all being ridiculous!

My setup: AMD Athlon 500, 128MB RAM, Geforce 4 MX440.

Gnome is nice n fast, KDE runs fine, only slightly slower then Gnome, Fluxbox FLIES!

Now, you have double my amount of memory, so you should not have any problems with Mandy 9.1, run whatever you like, Gnome, KDE, etc.

My friends have lost their minds, rcxau wil confirm this, he also uses an older processor. :roll:

You are all being ridiculous!
:lol: ...I agree :wink:

My second pc has a Celeron 600, 192SDRAM, i810 video (slowest factor) and it runs gnome as well. Will use the swap a lot faster and more than my main sys (see SIG below) with 256 DDR400 PC2100 but linux is great at mem/swapping.

You are fine.....run whatever :wink:

Ditto: I have an old Compaq Presario laptop with AMD K6-2 333 and 192MB RAM and it is slower than my newer Athlon XP desktop but still very useable even with default mdk KDE desktop under Mandrake 9.1.

My second desktop is a PIII/266 w/ 192 MB RAM and it is fine for non-game things. It only has 4MB video RAM so it suffers from a bottleneck there, but for surfing the net, email and office things it is acceptable for normal use.

I run an Asus 3800 video card on my main desktop (Athlon 1600XP) which is a Riva TNT2 32MB and it is very fine for my normal use too. I say go for it!

:)