-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 443 Aug 22 06:27 modules.ieee1394map

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8038 Aug 22 06:27 modules.isapnpmap

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29 Aug 22 06:27 modules.parportmap

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66053 Aug 22 06:27 modules.pcimap

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24 Aug 22 06:27 modules.pnpbiosmap

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 136113 Aug 22 06:27 modules.usbmap

Obviously, no symlink there, so I do

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.21/ build

Now the symlink is there, so I try again install nvida, I'll get back to you tonight... gotta work.

:cry::cry:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should do it.

Usually if you install the kernel-headers, it'll put the symlink there for you, I think. You don't need the source if you have the headers, someone told me, but I think I had a problem one time that did require the full source, but I can't remember so I just leave the full source anyhow. It's not that big, really.

Here we go guys:

Installing nvidia gives this error:

The kernel header file '/lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/build/include/linux/modversions.h' does not exist.The most likely reason is that the kernel header files in '/lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/build/include' have not been configured.

OK, it's greek to me, what do I have to do now?

Thanks-- you guys are tough. :twisted:

delete the symlink 'build' and ln -s again pointing to /usr/src/kernel-headers<version>. If it were on my sys, it would be;

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-3-k7/ /lib/modules/2.4.20-3-k7/build

....and this is why

localhost:~# file /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20-3-k7/include/linux/modversions.h

/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20-3-k7/include/linux/modversions.h: Can't stat `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20-3-k7/include/linux/modversions.h' (No such file or directory)

localhost:~# file /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-3-k7/include/linux/modversions.h

/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-3-k7/include/linux/modversions.h: ASCII C program text

localhost:~#

It's not kidding....it's not there. It's best to look for yourself.

Hey ,

Did what you said, and I am closer... but not yet...

Error:

You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with

a compiler different from the one that was used to compile

the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there

are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and

system crashes.

If you know what you are doing and want to override this

check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.

In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the

name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

[1;31m*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***

[0mmake: *** [gcc-check] Error 1

-> Error.

ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file

'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions

on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux

driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Just run this full command:

IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 ./NVIDIA_Installer-or-whatever.run

And it will go. You're almost there!

Don't be alarmed if you can't start X with this driver. You may need to edit your module config files. Let us know if it works without modifications or not.

Great! :lol:

nvidia is IN, and X came up OK!!!

You guys are terrific. Not to be a smarta**, but at this point I need to ask, what is the attraction to Debian? Other than the ability to upgrade your entire system with apt.

I honestly could NOT have done any of this without you guys.

Where did you learn all this stuff?

And now it's on to figurring out how to make my cd burner and dvd-rom work again.

(They quit working with the kernel upgrade).

And if I can ask, how the heck does Debian handle configuring hardware (printer)?

Of course in Mandrake, we have harddrake, which makes it simple...

I have searched through as best I can, the documentation for Deb, but haven't found anything yet. My printer is an HP psc2110, and all functions work fine under Mandrake, so I assume it will work here as well, am I correct?

Again, thanks a lot, and if ya feel like tackling these questions, I appreciate it - but if not, I will certainly understand!

what is the attraction to Debian? Fast, light, stable, smarter way of doing things, though usually more confusing at first, but that's probably because of the ml/rh/rpm mindset I developed. :wink:

Where did you learn all this stuff? Mostly Mandrake :D , then explored others like (and in this order) LFS4.0, Slackware9.0, Libranet2.8, RH9, lots of googling...oh and of course the Forum. :wink: and old club-nihil where I learned a lot from reading DOlson's post :wink: .

Printer? I haven't messed with that yet....I rarely print.

:headbang:

Great!  :lol:  

Yay! That wasn't so bad! ;)

You guys are terrific. Not to be a smarta**, but at this point I need to ask, what is the attraction to Debian? Other than the ability to upgrade your entire system with apt.

Many things. Firstly, Debian is all about freedom. All the main software is free. And I mean really free. Debian is the same on every system (bvc: sshhhh :P)... It's supported on many architectures, including stuff I'll never see. All the software in Debian is thoroughly tested and gets maintained very well... None of this broken packages, stuff never working, requiring old glib versions, and stuff like that. All the dependencies are PROPERLY handled. System upgrading is non-existent, if you keep current with Sid. It's small updates here and there, always moving forward. Bugs are fixed usually within a day or two... It's absolutely 100% non-commercial. Debian is not making money. They represent the purity of the Linux vision... It will always be free for everyone, regardless of what changes happen in the rest of the world. The Debian software library increases ALL THE TIME. If you want something, chances are great that you can just apt-get install it. You just need to know what the package name is, and that you can usually guess fairly easily, with a little help from bash tab completion. :) I love the fact that things just don't get ripped out like Mandrake did with hdparm and other stuff a while back. If it's in Debian once, it stays in it (except in some rare casese, such as Transgaming threatening them about WineX CVS builds). It's also a fairly old distro (over 10 years now) and to me, it's proven itself. Distros come and go like the wind, and who knows if <distro X> will be around for another year or two? To me, Debian has stood the test of time, and the community and organization behind it is amazing to me... I don't know... I can go on and on about it, but someone else will walk by and say "well Gentoo does this too" and "Arch can do that better" or whatever. The point is, I just like Debian, and my reasons are my own. The more I use it, the more I love it. You may hate it. Lots of people do. I hated it for a long time because I didn't know anyone who was willing to help me with my issues I was having. But once I started using it, and I think you'll find this too, you'll see the benefits of it, and you'll find the things about it that you like too.

I honestly could NOT have done any of this without you guys.

Where did you learn all this stuff?

Other Debian users, experience with Mandrake, and just educated guessing. A lot of the time I find that Debian users branch out from another single Debian user who is willing to take their time and explain everything they can - sorta like how many people start using Linux in the first place... Oh, and occasionally, very occasionally, I read things.

And now it's on to figurring out how to make my cd burner and dvd-rom work again.

Shouldn't be too hard. Check dmesg and stuff like that, see what devices are recognized, what modules are loaded, etc.

(They quit working with the kernel upgrade).

And if I can ask, how the heck does Debian handle configuring hardware (printer)?

Of course in Mandrake, we have harddrake, which makes it simple...

Well, it doesn't, really. Anything that isn't autodetected or whatever, is probably gonna have to be configured "the hard way." We'll take it a step at a time. :) Usually it's just a matter of probing the right modules.

I have searched through as best I can, the documentation for Deb, but haven't found anything yet. My printer is an HP psc2110, and all functions work fine under Mandrake, so I assume it will work here as well, am I correct?

It should. I assume it is supported with a GimpPrint driver, or with basic CUPS? I can help more with this, since I recently did this, albeit for an Epson 777 USB printer.

Again, thanks a lot, and if ya feel like tackling these questions, I appreciate it - but if not, I will certainly understand!

We will do our best to help you with everything Debian. :)

You are too kind-

I checked in lilo.conf, and the 'hdd=ide-scsi ' option I put had been commented out, so I uncommented it and ran lilo:

debian:/home/mike# lilo

Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.

Name change: '/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc' -> '/dev/hda'

The kernel was compiled with DEVFS_FS, but 'devfs=mount' was omitted

as a kernel command-line boot parameter; hence, the '/dev' directory

structure does not reflect DEVFS_FS device names.

That should mean something to me, but of course it don't...

:?

Sounds like you're not using DevFS to me... I don't use DevFS myself, since the other Debian (and Slackware) users told me not to, and because my kernels don't boot if I enable it as a boot option.

If you want to try it, go ahead and make a lilo entry that has devfs=mount as an option in it...

I don't like lilo... So I'm not sure what would happen if a kernel fails to boot. Grub, on the other hand, allows you to make temporary changes before boot time, to your configuration, so it can save your ass in times of trouble. Lilo has to do it too, but I couldn't tell you how.

Also, devfsd isn''t installed by default so you'll have to instal it. I don't use it it either and have;

localhost:~# cat /proc/cmdline

root=/dev/hda8 ro acpi=on idebus=133 devfs=nomount vga=791

localhost:~#

for kernel parameters in grub. I'd suggest making 2 entries in lilo for debian, one with devfs=mount and one with devfs=nomount, so if devfs fails you already have an alternative.

Or, just hit Esc at the lilo prompt and type;

<name> devfs=mount

name being what the lilo menu calls debian. If Debian GNU/Linux then;

Debian GNU/Linux devfs=mount

then devfs will be appended to everything else for the Debian GNU/Linux entry.

Cool. Good to know that lilo stuff.

Now, what if it had devfs=mount already, and that was the only entry? Could you make it boot it with devfs=nomount just be specifying it too, or will it still mount?

I'd like to know how to get devfs working on Debian with a vanilla kernel, because it's just good information to know. :)