debian newbie- can't get into X

cybrjackle, I tried  the symlink ? you suggested, 

ln -s ~mike/.Xauthority 

in a console as root, and it said 'file exists'

Again I am lost, it does exist!

bvc, thanks for that- I will also try that.

DOlson, I am currently doing the apt-spy, and will follow your tutorial, hopefully I can get nvidia installed, eventually.

Thanks to all...(I'll be back) :)

HUM, were you logged into X as the user and su to root from a console and tried that?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was in X, opened XTerm , su'd to root an did it that way. Wrong?

Nope, that was right. That's all I could think of that would work for that error. Do you still get the same thing when you run synaptic?

Update- I did the the dist-upgrade, now I have kde3.1 and it is working fine.

The kernel, remains the same.

So since I cannot locate a matching kernel-source, I guess I cannot install nvidia, correct?

I need to figure a bunch of stuff out, if you all don't mind, I will be hounding you for answers?

Thanks!

:lol:

W/out me going back and reading(lazy) what kernel are you running?

# uname -r

also I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but check.

# apt-cache search kernel-source

and see what it produces.

this is what I have:

2.4.18-bf2.4

And the other:

debian:/home/mike# apt-cache search kernel-source

freeswan - IPSEC utilities for FreeSWan

kernel-patch-2.2-lids - LIDS Kernel Patch

kernel-patch-2.4-lids - LIDS Kernel Patch

kernel-patch-debian-2.4.21 - Debian patches to Linux 2.4.21

kernel-source-2.2.25 - Linux kernel source for version 2.2.25

kernel-source-2.4.18-hppa - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.18 on HPPA

kernel-source-2.4.19 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.19

kernel-source-2.4.19-hppa - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.19 on HPPA

kernel-source-2.4.20 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.20 with Debian patches

kernel-source-2.4.21 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.21 with Debian patches

kernel-source-2.5.69 - Linux kernel source for version 2.5.69 with Debian patches

kernel-source-2.6.0-test2 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.0-test2 with Debian patches

lidstools-2.2 - LIDS Admintool

lidstools-2.4 - LIDS Admintool

nvidia-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source

kernel-source-2.4.18 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.18

debian:/home/mike#

Okay, lots has happened in the hours I was at work.

Firstly, devices don't need x, they need rw. However, do you have sound drivers loaded? You can test this by doing this:

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

You should get static in your speakers. If you don't have permissions, you're probably not in the audio group. Ensure that the permissions of /dev/dsp (or /dev/dsp0 if /dev/dps is a symlink) are like this:

crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 May 29 18:00 /dev/dsp0

Check the groups you are currently in like this:

groups dana

Do this as root. It will list all the groups that you're in, like this:

dana : dana narnia icebox cdrecording

Now, add your user to the audio group since you are not a part of it.

usermod -G narnia,icebox,cdrecording,audio dana

And now if you check the groups, you'll see that you're in all of them, as well as your default group.

NOW you can use /dev/dsp.

You may need to log out and log back in again.

As far as the kernel stuff goes, I recommend you either apt-get install the 2.4.21 version, or roll your own from source. I go with the latter because I like to fully control how my system boots. Read up a bit before you go through with an apt-get for a kernel since I've never actually tried it before, and so I don't know how it goes.

To get the source installed for 2.4.18-bf24, just get it off of the Woody CD: mount the CD, then go find the .deb file as root, and then dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.18-bf24.deb or whatever it's called, and it'll be installed.

BTW, dist-upgrade is a beauty, ain't it? ;)

Oh, and all apt-spy does is finds the fastest Debian mirrors for you, and writes them to your file, so don't run it as root again. It's just something to do once in a while, and beware that it overwrites your file if you're root. So if you wanna find more/different servers, run it as a regular user and change the file by hand. If you never add in other 3rd party sources though, you have nothing to worry about, unless you forget to change it to unstable, in which case, you won't be finding any upgrades at all. :)

As far as runlevels go, they are all user-configurable... Some distros set 3 as text-mode login, and 5 as GUI login, but that's just how they did it. You can do whatever you want with them, I just use the #3 because of how Mandrake did it. You just change what scripts are linked to from /etc/init.d/ in your /etc/rcX.d/ where X is the runlevel, and links that start with S meant Start, and K mean Kill. Etc. Etc.

Man, all that after a full day at work???

THANKS so much.

I added myself to audio, floppy and cd, while I was there, am gonna test it now!

Then I'll move on to nvidia and then trying to get my Lite-On cd burner working (it;s not in the list of supported hardware, but it works fine in Mandrake)

I'll be back...

thanks again.

Oh crap, now the sound still dont work: error

mike@debian:~$ cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

bash: /dev/dsp: No such device

mike@debian:~$

Yhis is weird, I can see that it is there. etc.

Okay, you don't have your sound drivers probed... If you have an SB Live! card, do a modprobe emu10k1 and it should go.

Also, you'll need to modprobe ide-scsi to get SCSI emulation going for your burner.