Knights of the Old Republic - No Linux port planned

Guest JaseP

According to Derek French, the Assistant Producer of Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic, there is no Linux port planned:

There are no plans for a Linux version of KotOR. Any decisions along these lines are completly up to our publishing partner, Lucasarts.

Derek French

Producer, Live Team

"Its time to get your RPG on."

I'm very disappointed. I guess all we can hope for for now is WineX being able to run it...

It's not M$'s decision. It's a LucasArts property. They can dictate terms.
hmm...think about it.

LA: we're porting to Linux

MS: then we don't want your game, we won't support it, we won't pay you that $xxxxxxxxxxxx, and we'll make sure any games you put out won't work on our system.

LA: we're not porting to Linux

MS: damn right, b*tch!

I wouldn't be surprise if we got a dedicated server

Whoopty do

I'm sure all the linux users who want to play it will rejoice :P

If the game is anything like everquest i would be very happy not to play it, so i will survive.

Actually, it is a part of the Microsoft contract that they signed. They said so in the #openknights channel many many many months ago when we asked them about it...

So, here's hoping they forget about the Xbox for all future games.

I have recently realized a few things.

1. While most games are better on PC, my life is simpler if I just get them for a console and use the PC for important things.

2. The slightly better graphics on a PC just don't make up for the ability to throw any game in the drive and know it will work instantly. (personal preference, and it helps to have an Xbox)

3. While I hate MS< the Xbox kicks the crap out of the competition in every single concievable category with the one exception of game selection.

Just some stuff to think about.

I have recently realized a few things.

1. While most games are better on PC, my life is simpler if I just get them for a console and use the PC for important things.

2. The slightly better graphics on a PC just don't make up for the ability to throw any game in the drive and know it will work instantly. (personal preference, and it helps to have an Xbox)

3. While I hate MS< the Xbox kicks the crap out of the competition in every single concievable category with the one exception of game selection.

Just some stuff to think about.

If the game is anything like everquest i would be very happy not to play it, so i will survive.
it's nothing like EQ, it's not a MMORPG. The star wars MMORPG is being made by sony...it's called Star Wars: Galaxies (and it sucked, atleast from the beta-and i don't mean 'cuz it was buggy, it was just plan bad...).

Honestly, it's quite different, and I didn't like it. I didn't play it for very long, and it would likely be easier/better to play with a mouse, but from what I saw, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I just hope that the next non-Xbox project BioWare does will hit Linux. I have a feeling it won't, but I can hope...