RedHat sues SCO for defamation...

Guest JaseP

:D :D :D This is just too good :D :D :D

During the discovery phase of this litigation, SCO will finally be forced to disclose the offending code, but watch them dance and weave and delay as long as possible. They'll probably try and get a protective order to keep the info from public disclosure; hope the judge slaps them down on that one. Also, redhat will be able to explore whether microsoft and SCO improperly colluded in spreading this FUD. If there's evidence of collusion, microsoft could be dragged into the case as well on a civil conspiracy theory. I can't wait!! This is going to be fun to watch.

Guest JaseP

A protective order could go either way. On one hand, SCOs code is technically a trade secret and therefor should be discovered only under a protective order. On the other hand, the code is is the wild and therefore freely accessible to all (horse out of the barn).

took 'em long enough!  but better late than never, right?

It is not as simple as that:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0120124/

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/08/04/18...24.shtml?tid=23

Red Hat is seeking a permanent injunction against SCO from spreading false claims of Red Hat violating IP rights of SCO, in other words it wants SCO shut up forever. It also files several separate suits against SCO in terms of false advertising and possibly insider trading etc. One better makes sure it is innocent before it goes to court to seek for a permanent injunction and asks SCO to shut up forever.

I suppose Red Hat has gone thru some internal audit of the kernel and legal implications on its own, and the fact that McBride has sent Red Hat "a letter" is an official proof of the act of extortion. I suppose a true warrior will start a fight only when provoked, and it is the right time for Red Hat to respond.

Actually I don't think RedHat could go through an internal audit of the kernel. Seeing as SCO will not let a copy of the offending code out no one knows what to look for or remove. Then again SCO doesn't want any code removed, even though they agreed to this when they placed their own copy of linux out under the GPL. If the code was removed then everyone would just update and SCO would get no license fees from it in the future. Though they might be able to get past fees from those with the money.

I think that the fact that SCO has not released the code even to European courts tends to point to the fact they have no real clame. Even if the code was there they probobly don't have the evidence to prove they themselves didn't release it.

The fact that SCO executives have just reciently dumped a ton of stock for a nice profit tends to point to the idea they might not be around much longer. Just watch to see if the same executives leave the company in a few months. Tank the company and run with the money. Nice pump and dump.

I think when they do an Internal Audit, they are trying to trace back EVERYTHING. RH want's to know would could possible cost them money if anything.

I just hope RH, IBM and whoever else joins end sends SCO to there grave. :lol:

I'm tired of hereing there FUD!