RedHat sues SCO for defamation...

Guest JaseP

Guest JaseP

Now,...

SCO is releasing their licensing deal and also McBride stated in his press statement that SCO may have to go after end users...

They are setting the stage to get crushed from all sides.

because Linus is just a engineer. He's said it many times, he doesn't want to get into the legal crap. He just wants to write code. Besides, revoking their right to use the word Linux wouldn't do much.

because Linus is just a engineer.

Well, I'm just a amazed that he wouldn't want to protect the value of his trademark... Personally I'm surprised by the lack of separation/distance that people haven't been putting between themselves and SCO... How come the partners of United Linux haven't done something?

Very confused... :!:

because Linus is just a engineer.

Well, I'm just a amazed that he wouldn't want to protect the value of his trademark... Personally I'm surprised by the lack of separation/distance that people haven't been putting between themselves and SCO... How come the partners of United Linux haven't done something?

Very confused... :!:

I believe SuSE has come out and said SCO is crazy. In differnt words though!

Oh, and here we go straight from the horses mouth.

SuSE Supports RedHat's Open Source Initiative

There have been many unsubstantiated and inflamatory statements made recently in an attempt, we believe, primarily to slow the inevitable acceptance of Linux. Linux is a disruptive technology, troubling to many, puzzling to some, potentially freeing to all. With every disruptive technology, there will be those who fight to maintain the status quo, fight to hold on to a losing proposition.

SCO has already been halted in Germany and we applaud Red Hat's actions to help end their activities in the US -- and beyond.

We applaud their efforts to restrict the rhetoric of the SCO group -- and the FUD they are trying to instill -- and will determine quickly what actions SuSE can take to support Red Hat in their efforts.

We call on SCO to stop the fear, uncertainty and doubt and join with the rest of the IT community in building Linux into the next quantum advance in technology.

http://www.suse.com/us/company/press/press...sco_redhat.html

The problem I see is that IBMs court case doesn't roll around to 2005 and so there is just a load of high profile fear uncertainty and doubt for people who may not have a better understanding of the bigger picture.

On the register they reported that 12% of people would change there decision of Linux roll out because of SCOs antics (badly abbreviated)...

I would like to see more of the anti-defamation lawsuits. I especially lked one of Australias Linux group raising SCOs defamatory baseless remarks with the commerce commission.

I realise lawsuits are a last resort but there is a large amount of damage being done... :(

Red Hat has (obviously) started an anti-defemation lawsuit. There only needs to be one.

My point about Linus was simply that he doesn't really care what SCO does with the Linux name, as long as they don't try to own it. He doesn't do Linux for popularity, or for some ideal, he does Linux because he enjoys it. What other people say about Linux doesn't matter to him, he's going to keep doing it for no other reason that he enjoys it. That's the impression I've gotten from various interviews with him concerning this and other issues.

I think Sco's strategy is to throw as much chille on the wall and hope to stay up till the jello hits the fan. Their already loosing almost all potentialy new customers to linux now, what could they possibly have to loose.

It's kind of like me getting into the ring with Mike Tyson for a million bucks. I'll take the first hit then be out and loose the fight. In the end I walk out of the stadium with my million, minus one tooth. IF I hit him and win then just look at all the great press and endorsments I'll get. I can't loose in a deal like this. Sign me up.

Above all else I think we as Linux users should just keep on doing what we have been doing. Promoting the great product we're using.