Whats Better? Wine or WineX

Guest Tux234

I have to say that I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. I, too, would prefer to buy games that are ported over to Linux; or designed with Linux in mind (though we may be a ways off from that right now) but I'm not going to give up some of my games that I spent my hard earned cash on just because they won't run natively.

I have purchased some games that I already owned because they were Linux titles (SimCity 3000 Unlimited, RT2). I even bought (ebay) the Quake 3 tin that only includes the Linux version (says on the box that if you want to play it under Windows you have to download the binaries). I will buy a copy of Postal 2 from TuxGames when the Linux port is finished (any ideas on this Dana?)

That being said, I do use WineX and see no problem in doing so for games that I know are not going to be ported like Diablo II, Half-Life (maybe we can get a port of Half-Life 2, that would be nice), JK2. I would run the Sims under WineX if it ran, but I am not going to pay Transgaming for their special copy of it. Maybe I would if the expansion packs also ran under this copy but there is no mention of this on their Sims page.

I understand why a lot of people think WineX is evil. Some of those people used to use it at least, though. I would point to the thread, but MUOld no longer exists so you would get a blank page.

Hopefully game companies will port more games in the future. I would like to go into my local computer game retailer and see a section devoted to games that run on Linux; and have the new release section there be the same games that are new releases for Windows. But in the meantime, why not use something like WineX for games that have no chance of being ported?

I have no idea when Postal 2 will be done. Just have a look at icculus' finger info every now and again for updates.

As for me personally running WineX, well, amongst other things, I refuse to support a company that takes my money and spends it on porting games to Windows and Mac, ignoring Linux completely.

I like linux, and I play games in linux. If I were a real gamer, I would be torn with the choice. For example, I have tried to get half life running, and it ran once, pathetically. All the rest of the time it does nothing. I have done numerous tuts and different methods, but no go. So my son plays it in windex.

Now, Wolfenstein and quake II/III are excellent, but I guess real gamers need variety.

As for me personally running WineX, well, amongst other things, I refuse to support a company that takes my money and spends it on porting games to Windows and Mac, ignoring Linux completely.

I completely agree here. I would say if you want to use WineX and you have the means available, compile it from cvs. That way you are not hindering Linux gaming development by paying a company that is basically saying "Your game runs fine under our product, why spend time and money making it run natively"

Most companies don't do in-house Mac ports either. MacSoft does the majority of them, and the way they do it is using a DirectX wrapper, which means they can port easily. No one has done this for Linux yet, and by the sounds of it, no one wants to.

I was under the impression that Transgaming was also in the business of helping game companies port their games to Linux if they were interested, in addition to providing WineX for games that aren't ported. At least that's what I've read from various press releases.

They ported Spy Hunter from Playstation 2 to Windows and Mac. There are no plans for a Linux "port".

http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=71

So, whatever. To me, that's a slap in the face of the people who subscribe to their services, and I will not support them ever again. Not to mention their threats to change the license of the WineX license, to prohibit source (Gentoo) AND binary (Debian) distribution of the open CVS version... The attitude that "sure, the license permits it, but if you do it, we'll change the license" is just stupid. Anyhow, before Transgaming fans get mad at me, I'll stop.

• 3 weeks later...
I like linux, and I play games in linux. If I were a real gamer, I would be torn with the choice. For example, I have tried to get half life running, and it ran once, pathetically. All the rest of the time it does nothing. I have done numerous tuts and different methods, but no go. So my son plays it in windex.

Now, Wolfenstein and quake II/III are excellent, but I guess real gamers need variety.

Possibly you tried a while ago i got blue shift counterstrike and day of defeat running great(some slight menu probs but nothing detracting from play) but the thing is i don't find the games very good anymore.

I now play Wolfmp and ET as my multiplayer fps of choice as they are really fun to play.