Whats Better? Wine or WineX

Guest Tux234

Wine is general purpose while WineX is aimed at apps that DirectX (eg games). Then theres Crossover Office (also a version of Wine) thats aimed at running just office apps. Which one you choose depends on what you want to run.

I personnally use WineX and it runs all the programs (games and other stuff) that I want it to with out fuss.

Do you have Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? And does it work for you without a fuss? Some people seem to have it working, and other people don't.

I'd almost be willing to get the CVS to try it out, but I guess I'll just wait for icculus to finish his port.

Do you have Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? And does it work for you without a fuss? Some people seem to have it working, and other people don't.
*becomes bewildered* what's that have to do with wine or winex being better? :huh: (i'm asking seriously because I'm rather confused)

This is what I was replying to:

I personnally use WineX and it runs all the programs (games and other stuff) that I want it to with out fuss.

Wine = Lots of Pain for Games.

WineX = Less Pain for Games.

Or, as most people here would say:

Wine = Not Evil.

WineX = Evil.

The general feeling with die-harders is that WineX damages linux gaming in the sense that it erases the necessity for porting games to Linux or releasing native titles. Producers can now write a game for the windoze environment and not have to worry about Linux because we can just WineX it.

Obviously, you see the dilemma.

Now, I agree fully with the fact that it is detrimental to the future of Linux gaming, but I would argue that installing and running windows is the worse of two evils.

The real answer is to be hardcore and only play native Linux games. That said, I get the urge to play Diablo II now and then and I don't run windoze at all, so then I load up WineX.

The success of an OS is partly determined by how much time people spend being booted into that OS. When I WineX Diablo, I am still technically in a Linux environment, with a layer which is imitating Windows.

I know this is more info then you needed, but I've been meaning to post it for a while.

Bottom line: Play Linux games! If you MUST play Windoze games, then WineX is the easiest way to do it (unless you want to run windoze, and who the hell wants that?)

The thing is, some companies will never port games, and they are vocal about it. Given your example of Diablo II, we know from past experience that Blizzard hates Linux users because of the emails they got when they said they wouldn't port Starcraft. So, we know that we'll never get Blizzard's games ported to Linux. So what's the harm in playing those games which will never be ported?

The thing is, that some companies are having their games ported, for example, EA with MOHAA and Spearhead. Ryan Gordon is porting these two games, yet Transgaming is currently focusing on MOHAA... That doesn't make sense to me...

And some people out there use WineX to play games like Quake 3 Arena, which can be played natively for free, if you have the Windows OR Linux version... That doesn't make sense to me...

It hurts companies like LGP who are trying to fill Loki's shoes... People generally won't buy a game twice, so if LGP ever got the rights to port a game, say Warcraft III just for example, no one would buy it because they already have the Windows version, and they would demand free Linux binaries. That doesn't make sense to me...

So what I have decided, is that I will purchase only games that get ported, because the stuff I've tried from Transgaming generally sucks performance-wise, and I want to see Linux stand on its own, not using the Win32 DirectX API as a crutch. This way, I save money (I was buying 3 games a week before I went to college), and I support only the companies that fully support Linux. When I get a game, it's ported properly and it works very well. When I don't buy a game, it's one less sale for the company, which they could get back if they ported to Linux. I hope that over time, many people will do the same, and the companies out there will see the missing profits, but until such time, I will get fewer games. Oh well. I don't have time to play all of these games anyhow, so it really doesn't matter if there never was a Linux game made again. Gamers will use Windows/WineX, and people who want to use Linux, will use Linux. In the end, none of this really matters, and I'm just doing what I see is the best value for my money, and in the process I am helping to attempt to put food onto my friend's tables as well.

In other news, Hyperion is back in business, and I've been talking to them, and it is great to hear that they are still trying to consider Linux... The bad thing is that they aren't going to port games if they won't get at least ~500 sales... So, I'll buy what they port, when I can afford it. I would hope that other people will as well.

I've been mumbling for far too long, so let's just sum this up into a short sentence:

Wine/WineX has its uses in some instances, but I have chosen to just not use it at all, but if you want to use it then that's cool, but I hope you won't ignore the Linux vendors in the process.

Guest JaseP

My problem is that I can't get a lot of native titles working properly. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, for example will not run natively for me. So I must run it under WineX, in which it runs flawlessly.

I have problems getting FreeSpace 1&2 running 100% too, but there is no WineX emulation for them, there it's native or nothing.

I'm considering switching distributions over to SuSE, hopefully that might help. I really don't want to leave Mandrake though, but problems I hear with distribution channels aren't encouraging.

I doubt SuSE will help anything. There were problems on one of the LGP or icculus.org mailing lists, I forget which, with one of the beta games... I can't remember which one.

Anyhow, for FS and FS2, did you try compiling the source?

For RTCW... Does Quake 3 work, since it's the same engine? Did you try all of the steps in the LGFAQ and such? Did you try asking on IRC? Someone should be able to help.

Curiously I have tried RTCW Demo on MDK 8.2 and it never worked (sig 11). After I upgraded to MDK 9.x it finally worked. As for ET it worked on MDK 9.x but NOT under a non-English locale (I have to type and use Chinese sometime but ET never can get into the menu screen under a zh_* Chinese locale environment). Eventually I created another user account and used localedrake to go back to an English locale (en_*). ET started with no problem.

I do believe the situation is really improving. At GameDev.net, a poll is being conducted for the updated version of OpenGL Game Programming and a lot of people (30+ %) are asking for adding SDL related information. In fact my experience with ET on Linux shows it can be a real good network gaming platform. ScummVM is another interesting project.

I wonder though, if Ryan Gordon or the Quake 3 developers will come out and write a book about producing cross-platform port of games. It will be much easier to do that if cross-platform port is taken into account in the planning stage.

Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see the big deal about running Winex. I have got quite a few new users over to linux with that piece of software. The game designers will port games to linux when they can make money at it. That may be a couple of years in the future. But in the meantime I guess we are supposed to not play the games we would like too??? Thats kind of silly. I only run Linux, and I play all sorts of games. When I load them and they work under winex I send an email to the game company and tell them I am playing their game under linux; "Why don't you port it to make it easier??" If we keep at the game Companies they will eventually get enough email that they will take notice. All we need is one Hit game that will actually admit to porting to linux and the others will follow. Part of the problem is the grip that M$ exerts on the game companies. They are just now getting to support Mac, so linux may not be too far behind.

Most companies don't do in-house Mac ports either. MacSoft does the majority of them, and the way they do it is using a DirectX wrapper, which means they can port easily. No one has done this for Linux yet, and by the sounds of it, no one wants to.

The thing I'm hoping for is more widespread use of OpenGL, OpenAL, SMPEG, and SDL... If companies continue using DirectX and Bink and Miles, then ports will take that much longer and won't be worth the investment...