Geforce MX400

Daveleh

This is just a quick request for confirmation of a process.

I have recently purchased a 64Mb Geforce2 MX400 graphics card and am going to install it this weekend. I just wanted to run through the process I am going to follow in order to make sure that I haven't got anything drastically wrong.

I plan to:

1. Install the card and plug my monitor into it

2. Turn on the PC and check that it is recognised and installed correctly and works

3. download and install the Nvidia drivers as per the numerous topics that I have read in these forums and check that they work correctly.

That should all work Ok shouldn't it ?

:mandrake:

I would think that would work. You might want to make sure X isn't starting on boot, just in case. Download the new driver first, then install the card. After that, everything should be fine. You may be asked to run a config tool as your video card will have changed (obviously) but that shouldn't be too hard.

Anyone else have any input that I may have missed?

I would think that would work.  You might want to make sure X isn't starting on boot, just in case.  Download the new driver first, then install the card.  After that, everything should be fine.  You may be asked to run a config tool as your video card will have changed (obviously) but that shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks v much for replying I will bear your advice in mind and let you know how I get on.

I would think that would work.  You might want to make sure X isn't starting on boot, just in case.  Download the new driver first, then install the card.  After that, everything should be fine.  You may be asked to run a config tool as your video card will have changed (obviously) but that shouldn't be too hard.

Total agreement...if you do not currently have an NVIDIA card installed, removing current video card and replacing with an NVIDIA card, trying to boot and then getting the drivers to install...will complicate your life.

• Download driver

set boot to not start x windows

shut down

install new card

boot to command line

cd to where you downloaded the NVIDIA driver package

Type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run" (no quotes)

perform any needed alterations to XF86CONFIG FILE per the NVIDIA instructions

I totally agree. Make sure you don't have X starting at boot before you install the card and make sure you have downloaded the latest driver. I have an Nvidia GeForce4 MX-440SE and MDK 9.1 install gives me no X until I install the driver from NVidia.