KDE 3.1.2 - How to decrease 'align to grid size' on desktop?

fuzzylizard

I am using kde 3.1.2, although this is releveant to most versions of kde. What I would like to do is the following:

When I right click on the desktop and select Icons -> align to grid, I would like to decrease the size of the grid that KDE uses to align my nice little desktop icons to.

Anyway of doing that? Basically, I want the icons to be closer together both vertically and horizontally, but still lined up in nice little rows. (Yes, I realize I could do this manually)

Another feature I would love added to kde would be the ability to snap icons to a grid on the desktop. This is one of my favorite little features in OS X and I would love to see it in KDE. When you place a new icon on the desktop, it snaps into place so that it is aligned both horizontally and vertically with all your other icons.

• 7 months later...

here's a few places to look, if you haven't already........

go to /home/(username)/desktop. thats the directory that contains your desktop icons. there should be a text file in there called "directory". (it may be a hidden file called .directory. not in front of the linux box right now to double check) that file contains the names of your desktop icons & their x= y= placement. on my KDE desktop, i have my icons arranged manually, so as not to get in the way of my wallpaper. but i'm thinking that if you use the "align to grid" option, there might be some parameters in that file for the grid that you could tweak? :unsure:

also, you could always check in your /home/(username)/.kde/** for a similar file.

AFAIK, there's no point & click quick option to attain what you want.

Chris

Thanks for the post with suggestions.

I have jsut rechecked all of those, and noticed an entry to the effect of

"align to grid= true" in one of the files in ~/.kde , but nothing about grid size.

Any ideas why this grid spacing value isnt being read from a file anyone? Is there a good

reason, or is it just that noone thought it would be neccesary / wanted?

Any further suggestions / a hack (short of modding the kde code and rebuilding it) would be appreciated, though come to think of it, if anyone knows which file needs to be modified, i could

be tempted to rebuild kde. This is starting to bug me now...

:o)

Edited by extorn

i went into IRC channel #kde & asked about the grid settings. according to the KDE guru's in there, the grid alignment spacing is hard coded into KDE & can't be changed. about the best you can hope for is arranging your icons by hand to the desired spacing & not using the align to grid option.

Chris

i went into IRC channel #kde & asked about the grid settings. according to the KDE guru's in there, the grid alignment spacing is hard coded into KDE & can't be changed. about the best you can hope for is arranging your icons by hand to the desired spacing & not using the align to grid option.

Did they mention anything about it being made configurable? Is it possible etc.

Thanks

Have there been any advancements on this topic?

I would appreciate being able to increase the size of the grid, because my icons all appear really bunched up.

me too!

What DE's that let you use icons *do* have this option?

from what i was told in #kde, it is not configurable, unless you know how to work with the KDE base code & make the changes in there. as far as other DE's that might let you do that...........i dunno. i use KDE 99.9% of the time, so i never tried elsewhere.

if yer really itching to find out more about this, just go to IRC #kde & ask around in there. if there's a way to do it, somebody in there would (should) know. or, go to kde.org & submit a request or ask a question in there. that's about all the info i can give on the topic. :unsure:

Chris

Edited by chris z