Any news on Mandrake 9.2 beta?

zero0w

Think its a bit early yet.

We have a server in rsync with Mandrake, so when there's a release we will be among the first to get it.

Isn't it about time they actually just did a 9.1.1 point release.

300MB of updates is practically a new version anyway.

Couldn't they just make a CD0 with all the updates and a fixed installer or would that be too easy??

Mandrake, like many distro's, runs on a 6 month release cycle. Usually beta's for the fall release begin in (mid to late) August and the final release comes out in Sept. sometime.

It would be good for them to wait till Sept., however, since GNOME 2.4 _may_ be out in the beginning of the month (or so the timelines says).

Guest JaseP

I am personally debating whether I want to go with Mandrake 9.1 or wait until the kernel version 2.6 is in release rather than pre-release... Dilemnas, Dilemnas.

Yeah I appreciate the 6 month cycle but I don't see wht they can't do the responsible thing and actually replace the cr"ø they released on the CD's. I can't believe were talking about 9.2 when 9.1 isn't even finished. They actually sold those CD's to people who they now abandon and say hey sucker we don't care a toss about you, either get broadband and download the updates or wait till we release a new version that may or not work.

I know thats what M$ have been doing for years but it doesn't mean its OK to treat your customers like something you trod in on the way to the office.

I still think Mdk is a great distro but I think the company suck!!

What really annoys me is the irrisponsibility they have ... its not just Mandrake they are turning people away from its linux. Forget about M¤ and SCO ... Mandrake are doing more to turn people againt linux than either.

Guest JaseP

I don't know,...

I think that's a little strong.

I'd like to see Mandrake 9.1 released with an updates CD or with updated CDs, and have them provide a CD with teh updates for a reasonable shipping and handling cost, but I think that Mandrake is doing the best it can in a problematic situation (prior poor management).

M$, SCO and the RIAA are the big Linux enemies, not companies like Mandrake that try hard to release good product, but sometimes fall a little short.

I think the product with the updates is excellent, but try even looking for a support email etc. on the Mandrake site.

Somehow they changed their business model. I know they are going through difficult times but they have the HP deal etc. but 300MB of updates is practically a new release.

I can forgive them for releasing a bit earliy,under the circumstances but they don't seem to be doing anything to support anyone who bought the product.

When I didn't have an internet connection it was all but useless until I got an updated version from a magazine.

I lost a disk to a faulty installer ... etc etc etc.

I have no problem with people/companies making mistakes but the first thing they should do is try and correct the mistake.

Given the number of updates etc. they could at least provide a free update CD with every new purchase if they can't afford to recall the faulty product, just hand it over at the cash desk or something. It might sound a bit strong but they are hurting more than themselves by this. They are probably hoping for as many people to buy it as possible and don't care if they can use it or not.

When you have 300MB of updates and part of the faulty product is the actual installer and RPMDRAKE a warning on the box <<Internet required for updates>> or such.

i also take issue with the silent withdrawal of starOffice, the advertising on th3e box which is plainly false and most of all .. Includes Support.

My media were damaged...still are according to my box I get 1 access by telephone, 60 days by web.

My telephone call about the faulty media ... <use the web>.

that was the support call used up.

Tried by email and the answer join Mandrake Club.

Its fault media!!! What are they going to do at Mandrake club except take my money and since I don't have an internet connection Im stuffed. They just couldn't care less.

Since I live in france Mandrake is popular but I'm getting tired of explaining to Win converts that they were just unlucky with this version and should download 300MB of updates if they can get the installer working, if not Ill lend you my Cd's from the front of a Magazine.

Gowator: exactly how else do you propose they give out updates? I mean, there are going to be bug fixes, and they are going to have to be patched, and whether or not they are Mandrakes fault it's unimportant (a LOT of the updates are for programs that security holes were found in).

As for the updates CD, you want one, you send me the money necessary to ship one to you, you have one in your hand. problem solved.

Until 2.6 is released what's the point. I highly doubt that there are any improvements in any mandrake tool to warrant another bug filled release. They need to do the next one right as they should have done the last 3 or more right and failed miserably, well 8.2 wasn't too bad, but I skipped that one. RH is hoping for 2.6 to be in there next release so you can bet mandrake is/will be on their heels, or leading the way. I'd prefer leading the way, but they better get in gear :P cause RH is on the move and asking for more user participation :shock:

Gowator, I understand your frustration. At first light I'd be a, well_you_know, if I paid for 9.1 and had to deal with 300MB in updates on my dialup. Another thing to remember is that a lot of updates mandrake has others don't because you don't even get the software to begin with so there's nothing to update :roll: woop_did_I_say_dat? :wink: In that light, I'd have to be a little more forgiving :)

Until 2.6 is released what's the point. I highly doubt that there are any improvements in any mandrake tool to warrant another bug filled release.

my sentiments exactly. mandrakesoft will just get slammed again if they released a point-point release as some people will just say "and they expect us to fork money again when we dont get anything new in return?".

ciao!