ML9 and RH8

ral

Of coure not ! Try redhat, if you like it, thats great. If you run redhat and still think you can help people here, thats great too. As you say " the community is more important than the distro "

Some questions /answers posted here are Linux in general, rather than a certain distro, so drop in from time to time.

Whatever I run, I am going to drop in here frequently. Never would have been able to get Linux running without the help of this community.

Feel like kind of a traitor though. Only real reason I am considering the switch is I just love Redhats fonts. Better than ML, Windows or anyhting I have ever used.

ML has better tools though.

Nah, we won't boot you up.. we might rile you a bit about being a traitor and such, but it's all in good fun really :) . Seriously though, don't worry about the kind of distro you use. Just as long as you can help the community here, you can always stay.

Guest Cyclops
Would you guys boot me out if I switched to Redhat?

Sure hope it doesn't work that way cuz I routinely run Mandrake 9, Redhat 8, and Slackware 8.1, but frequently switch between them when I become restless. After setting them all up (complete with tweaks), I make an image of all partitions, then change back and forth between the distros at my leisure. I do, however, purchase each distro to help support them, and the Linux cause.

It's my hope that there will always be at least 3 different Linux distros available to all of us. If it should ever narrow down to just one, the lack of competition would probably be bad in the long haul.

BTW - I do spend more time in Mandrake than in any other distro, and I'm a happy Mandrake Club member... :D

And if somebody leaves, there may be a noob to fill the gap.  Hello, everyone!  Just switched from Red Hat to Mandrake 9. :lol:

Welcome. Cute avatar.

So, why the switch? Ya can't just show up and say you switched without giving a few reasons. :) :)

I am a sucker for the fonts. :oops: Redhat did a good job on the fonts of this release. I can't speak for Mac's (as I never had the chance to try one), but Redhat renders fonts better the ML9 and better than any version of Windows. Spend most of my PC time in from of the OpenOffice.org writer. This program looks poor in Windows and worst in Linux. But it looks great in RH8.

Tried the free type fonts, imported Windowss fonts (and kind of messed everything up - I don't recommend anybody import Windows fonts).

Overall though, I think Mandrake Linux is the better distribution from the point of view of installation and the tools (all those Drak stuff). I think the rescue options are probably better too.

Well this is for my personal PC. At the shop, we have 1 Redhat unit for the clients to use (soon to be 2 ones they get the hang of it, and hopefully more...they are replacing Win95 OS in upgraded PC's). We also have 1 ML (dual boot) unit that is used to store essential records and files. Hoping to move the P.O.S. to a Mandrake Linux.

On a side note, I started with Mandrake because it was regarded as the easiest one for newbies to get into and was a powerful Linux distro from a functional standpoint. It looks like some of the other distro's have decided to wade into Mandrakes domain.

I actually started with Mandrake and have since switched to Red Hat as well. My reason - Oracle. I wanted to start learning oracle and decided to go with a certified linux distro and save myself some headaches. Right now I am using 7.3 and will probably stay there for the next little while - at least until Oracle and Houdini run on 8.0.

Ah hah... I am not alone.

Kristall418:

Welcome, there is always room for more. I may have switched distros for now (altough I still use both in a way), but I am not leaving this board (unless they drag me out kicking and screaming). Been with this Linux Community since May of this year. I don't think you will find a finer bunch of people anywhere else on the Web.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think Mandrake has better internationalization support; also I think it is better optimized in terms of i586 flags as default. I guess Red Hat has wide corporate support such as Oracle or Maya, and RH8 has great font support with Xft and Fontconfig; but I imagine changes will be coming now that others can learn from what Red Hat did. And KDE 3.1 will probably embed Xft in the official release.

2003 will be the strong year for Linux on Desktop, that's for sure. I imagine KDE 3.x + glibc 2.3 + Kernel 2.6 + ALSA 0.9 + XFree86 4.3 will provide one of the smoothest desktop experience ever. And if fontconfig works really good, both KDE and Gnome will be benefited from this and might rival other OS as strong desktop contender.