ML9 and RH8

ral

2003 will be the strong year for Linux on Desktop, that's for sure. I imagine KDE 3.x + glibc 2.3 + Kernel 2.6 + ALSA 0.9 + XFree86 4.3 will provide one of the smoothest desktop experience ever. And if fontconfig works really good, both KDE and Gnome will be benefited from this and might rival other OS as strong desktop contender.

I can't wait. I completely agree with you. It is going to be amazing to see what Linux will become over the course of the next year as all the new technology gets integrated into the various distros. Next summer - with the release of 2.6/3.0 - should be a very exciting time.

I can't wait for RH 9 and ML 10.

"but I imagine changes will be coming now that others can learn from what Red Hat did. And KDE 3.1 will probably embed Xft in the official release."

When that happens I will be switching back to Mandrake. Better distro except for the fonts IMHO.

i just got rid of redhat after 8.0 because of the cute new look. and i have beeen a redhat fan for a while. i just didnt like the way that they made all the desktops the same. i really preferd the pure kde and gnome look and feel. i also didnt like that the install took better than an hour and still had to spend another 1/2 hour after that just tweaking x to run. dont get me wrong redhat is a good distro, but since i made the switch i dont know if ill go back.

i just got rid of redhat after 8.0  because of the cute new look.  and i have beeen a redhat fan  for a while.    i just didnt like the way that they made all the desktops the same.  i really preferd the pure kde and gnome look and feel.

Yea, I am still using RH7.3 for those exact reasons - and the fact that some of the software that I want to run is not certified for 8.0. Although, I must admit that Mandrake 9.0 is very tempting. I just don't know if I want to setup Linux again. I have so many extra programs installed that I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of reinstalling them. I have also tweaked kde to just the way that I like it.

I think the solution is that I need a different computer for each distro so that I can play with them all.