Why people don't like RH?

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

I am downloading now the updates image for Mandrake 9.1. I'll give it another chance. But if it will continue to hang up now and then, in such a way that the only remedies are the reset and reinstallation, I think, I'll leave it for a while...

Today I tried Red Hat 9, which came with a nice book 'Red Hat Linux 9 Bible'. The book is important for me, because I want to find my way in Linux properly, and the Mandrake's 'comprehensive manual' isn't the best of the books as far as I can evaluate it now.

Red Hat didn't hang up. Everything worked, without any missing buttons, as it happens in Mandrake's wizards. It looks nice, at least not worse than Mandrake... But when I looked through the messages here, the general tone about Red Hat was negative, although I didn't notice any logic in this, or maybe I couldn't understand it.

Why many people don't like Red Hat - on the level of facts, not emotions? Could anybody please explain me this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like RH, sorry can't help you out. I think people tend not to like it from a multimedia standpoint. Like the fact that mp3, xine, mplayer. RH doesn't install stuff like that. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but some of that software would be considered illegal in America and that is why they don't include it. Then there are people who just don't like RPM distro's. There's also the feeling that they are to big and there like MS of the Linux world. I don't agree with that one, so what if they have got the name LINUX out to the massess and Corporations are jumping off the WInwagon and moving over to Linux and like it or not, RH has played a big role in that.

In the us, red hat is the best known linux distribution. It is varu commercial, and is sold retail alot. Mandrake users know that Mandrake is really more friendly than red hat, and is not perceived as trying to be the "windows" of the linux world. Of course, red hat is linux just as, Mandrake is linux! If it were not for the bungeling of the mandrake organization, mandrake could do quite well commercially in the us. More recently, red hat started "patrolling" net sights to catch illegal use of their logo. and illegal sales of their software. That has caused most of the recent sourness toward red hat.

although I didn't notice any logic in this
you can't...because there isn't any :P

1. RH9 is a little slower. I use it for 2 reasons. The first was because ML9.1 had issues with my old MoBo and udma/ide so RH9 was actually faster for me. This has changed since getting a new MoBo/cpu last week. The other reason was for a quick easy way to try the ultra cutting edge gnome stuff without having to compile it myself. I use APT4rpm/Synaptic and the NyQuist and DAG repositories. The DE's get faster...gnome 2.3.3 is faster than 2.2.1.

2. Fewer, not much, but fewer user friendly tools, and some that exist between the two mandrakes are much better and more friendlier with more options, but then that depends...sometimes they can be buggier having useless features. There's 2 sides to this coin. In general, RH doesn't release bug ridden versions of apps...mandrake does, for whatever reason :roll:

I don't think you'll find any real reasons. It's mostly because you're on a mandrake board and people think it's the thing to do/say. Just callin it like I see it :wink: Think about it...other than more friendly tools and rh being a little slower, what possible reason could someone have? Oh, sure rh goes for the brownie points excluding some mp3 codecs and multimedia stuff and crap but who cares? People are always looking for a reason to complain cuz it's the rebel thing to do :P

Guest oberon

Thank you, very interesting!

About the commercial side, I've paid for Mandrake - the box and the book - more than 150 bucks and waisted a lot of nerves trying to get my stuff (you can read the story here: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...hp?t=5358&5358). Of course, I could just download it, but wanted to do everything properly, with books and support etc. Also, I don't mind paying for a well done job :) , but it wasn't a well done job. The book is mediocre and the only place I really get a lot of support is here :) .

On the other side, with Red Hat 9, I just bought at Amazon.com a book, and the system on 3 CDs came with it, altogether around 65 bucks with delivery. This is without support, but I didn't need it, everything worked straight away. So this is a question which of the distros is more commercial. And the possible answer is that Mandrake Company bungles everywhere, not just in the USA.

As per multimedia thingies, I just don't use them normally. My main interest is web development using PHP & MySQL, so I think Quanta Plus will be the great tool for me.

So, logically, I should choose Red Hat, but money paid for Mandrake hold me back and keep me trying :lol:

The updates download which I left overnight was broken, and I have started it again...

I had heard that Redhat leaves out mp3 support to promote the superior and free source OGG format. They leave out DVD support because of a necessary decryption library which lawsuits have been filed about. (2600 vs. MPAA I believe). They could install xine and mplayer without dvd support so I dont really understand why they dont do that.

Guest oberon

For me, that's not a problem. I've got a devoted DVD player which can play many kinds of media, and after the whole day of work at the computer I just go to another room to relax using it :) . The result is much better than I could get using my basic sound system...

bvc echoed my feelings on the matter, I must add though that I also use Mandrake over RH beause of urpmi mainly, which takes rpms to the next level (although systems such as apt are arguably better) and Mandrake do not 'modify' window managers as much as red hat do (I don't like what RH has done with Gnome).

Now, of course, I could perhaps find a way of getting Redhat to run urpmi and I could set Gnome back to normal (I use Fluxbox anyway), but with Mandy, my system is pretty much the way I want it out the box.

I must say that I do like the little upgrade icon-system thingy which redhat has added to the system tray, very handy for servers.

i don't dislike red hat i just don't use it. when i stopped using mandrake two years ago i vowed i would never use a rpm based distro again (not because of dependencies but because they are just not very good/smart packages).

i could not care less what red hat, mandrake, or whatever distro does. i do respect red hat for being the distro for so many years that was the main go getter for linux in the business world. the linux community owes red hat their respect at the least imho.

i don't dislike red hat i just don't use it. when i stopped using mandrake two years ago i vowed i would never use a rpm based distro again (not because of dependencies but because they are just not very good/smart packages).

i could not care less what red hat, mandrake, or whatever distro does. i do respect red hat for being the distro for so many years that was the main go getter for linux in the business world. the linux community owes red hat their respect at the least imho.

I'm impressed! :wink:

I second those comments. :P

i didn't like using red hat. something about the way the menus and so forth are set up always go on my nerves. not that it makes any sense, i just didn't like it for some odd reason.

Guest oberon

Yes, I could add to this that Mandrake looks much smarter when it is loading :)

All this tells me that there are no critical or even serious differences between RH and ML and the choice between them just reflects the true nature of the whole Linux world - the quest of perfection.

I decided that I'll stick to Mandrake unless I finally realize that I am unable to make it working properly on my machine. In that case I have an emergency parachute of Red Hat.