Why people don't like RH?

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

Well, they don't say 'I hate', they say 'I don't like RH because ... bla-bla... urpmi... {some other terms which I don't fully understand yet :) }".

And after browsing the result of search made after "Red Hat" I didn't find any positive opinion (although, of course, I didn't browse all of them). Hence the question.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tezca

as far as multimedia for redhat, you can download the mp3 plugin rpms from freshrpms.net and they work great, they aren't installed by default for legel reasons

as far as themes for kde and gnome etc. if you don't like them pop opem the theme editeor and change them takes less than 30 seconds

as far as my use, I use redhat, mandrake and suse, mostly redhat now, becuase I'm trying to get an RHCE and in the IT field her in the US most companies go with RedHat so its what I need to learn, also Redhat is just as friendly as any other distro and when things do go wrong like a kernel panic, it has alot of tools like e2label, dumpe2fs, and e2fsck to help repair the filesystem, I had a kernel panic happen to me with mandrake 9 and it was devasting. the only tools I fould were fdisk and fsck

also Redhat is just as friendly as any other distro and when things do go wrong like a kernel panic, it has alot of tools like e2label, dumpe2fs, and e2fsck to help repair the filesystem, I had a kernel panic happen to me with mandrake 9 and it was devasting. the only tools I fould were fdisk and fsck
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ML9.1

[root@localhost root]# urpmf e2label

e2fsprogs:/sbin/e2label

e2fsprogs:/usr/share/man/man8/e2label.8.bz2

man-pages-fr:/usr/share/man/fr/man8/e2label.8.bz2

man-pages-ja:/usr/share/man/ja/man8/e2label.8.bz2

man-pages-pl:/usr/share/man/pl/man8/e2label.8.bz2

[root@localhost root]# urpmf dumpe2fs

e2fsprogs:/sbin/dumpe2fs

e2fsprogs:/usr/share/man/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

man-pages-it:/usr/share/man/it/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

man-pages-fr:/usr/share/man/fr/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

man-pages-hu:/usr/share/man/hu/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

man-pages-ja:/usr/share/man/ja/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

man-pages-ko:/usr/share/man/ko/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

man-pages-pl:/usr/share/man/pl/man8/dumpe2fs.8.bz2

[root@localhost root]# urpmf e2fsck  

e2fsprogs:/sbin/e2fsck

e2fsprogs:/usr/share/man/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

man-pages-it:/usr/share/man/it/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

man-pages-fr:/usr/share/man/fr/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

man-pages-hu:/usr/share/man/hu/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

man-pages-ja:/usr/share/man/ja/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

man-pages-ko:/usr/share/man/ko/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

man-pages-pl:/usr/share/man/pl/man8/e2fsck.8.bz2

[root@localhost root]#

:wink: :lol: :D

Guest tezca

interesting, :o

is this in mandrake 9 as well?

the reason I ask is that I posted on this board for help and watched it for 2 weeks with no answer, finally I just did a reinstall, what had happen was Windoze xp messed up my partitions, which caused a kernel panic, and I couldn't find those tools and didn't have a layout of my partitions handy, also couldn't get the filesystem to mount under /mnt/sysimage

same in ML9.0, but why use ext2 anyway? and what do you think XP did that would require these tools (pm me...we're off topic). I aways create a 300-500MB /mnt/none (in other words, empty) partition between windows and linux so that the chance of corruption is lessened. That's the theory anyway :wink:

Guest tezca

bvc

I didn't use ext2 I use ext3, the difference is that ext3 is actually ext2 but with a journal, ny reasons for useing it are that it is pretty much the standard, so of course since I want to be able to deal with these situations in a professional environment I use ext 3 on some of my machines. as for a /mnt/none partion, sounds like a good idea however not everone will do that so I must be able to deal with other peoples problems also in an actual exam like the RHCE or LPI or LINUX+ if they gave an example as such I doubt if a person would have the choice of chosinf his layout before the kernel panic was initiated.

oberon

a kernel panic in linux is usually related to the linux kernel not being able to find its ramdisk or filesystems when it boots, sometimes when someone installs another operating system or misconfigures the partition layout for the system it modifies the partition table resulting in a kernel panic during the next boot. all operating system have kernel panics but each is different, windows has them alot while the system is running usually in linux and unix they show up when a sysadmin has messed up the filesystem in some way

I found RH to be slower, and I can't stand the way they have their menus laid out. Other than that, KDE, Gnome, etc, are the same on every distro anyway - so thats about it...

Yea, that was one problem I saw with RH 8, it was DOG slow. 9 doesn't seem all that slow to me.

Guest oberon

I wanted to add a couple of points here from my own first experience with Red Hat.

Its HUGE benefit, for me, is its updates. You just don't bother about those different mirrors which are always overloaded etc., you just press a button and the system updates itself, and the connection is excellent, and this is for free.

The main benefit of Mandrake as I see it now is the conviniency with switching keyboard layouts. I know, this doesn't have any sense for English speaking people, but I want to have an opportunity to easily switch between a latin and a non-latin keyboards. In Mandrake you can do this very easily.

In Red Hat to achieve the same result as in Mandrake, I have to edit by hand XF86Config, and to do this properly I have to go to XFree86.org and to read documentation. There is also an applet in Gnome which not only switches keyboards but also displays a flag for each language. But it works in Gnome only and also the layout which it provides isn't exactly what I want.

And of course Red Hat doesn't bring with it different useful plugins - such as Flash and Java, so I have to install them myself which is just inconvenient. It doesn't allow, as far as I found, to import TTF fonts straight from Windows - but I think this will be possible if I copy them to a CD.

So, Mandrake is more comfortable. But Red Hat is more reliable, at least on my machine. I worked under Red Hat for a couple of days without any problem, while Mandrake keeps hanging in such a way that I have to reinstall it again and again. This may be a peculiar hardware problem, but anyway, Red Hat doesn't mind it.

Guest mkbiyer

I would second everyone here who claims that RedHat is slow. I had to get out of a very decent install of RH 9.0 with XD2 (& yea those eye popping icons in OpenOffice.org) since for reasons that I could never detect fully there was a helluva lot of disk trashing & swapping on & the entire box would slow to a crawl when OpenOffice or Mozilla was launched.

Now with Mandrake 9.1 things are surely much much faster !

:)

Guest oberon

Yes, although I had a limited opportunity to work under Mandrake (until the next hangup), I did notice that it is faster. In Red Hat even menus seem to react with some delay. And people say that RH9 is much faster than RH8...

Now that you have RH, have you tried J.A.M.D.? Now its fast. Or was when I tried it. Fastest thing I ever had on any machine. And, everything did work that it supported. J.A.M.D. is more or less RH, and compiled i686. I'm thinking about using it as the OS for our client machines. When I get to that point. Note: its only 1 CD, so it does not have all the bells and whistles, 5 browsers, 10 editors, ect..... that the others have like Mandrake or RedHat. Just a thought though.....

I'm using MDK 9.1 custom kernel on my box....

Guest oberon

I don't really need bells and whistles, but there are some things which I do need: possibility to use the second language, Quanta Plus and KDevelop. I visited their website but didn't understand if they have these things. Do you know?