Boot Floppy

3lade

Can I not do this at install, I looked around every where but could not find it.

The reason behind this BTW, is I already dual boot (Win2K and XP) I've got XP for my girlfriend, and our lodger uses it. I have 2K for work but still want to mess about with Linux at home. But I dont want to totally confuse the others by having Lilo loading and then XP boot manager loading straight afterwards.

and from another direction:

You can create a boot floppy with just enough info to boot with mkbootdisk

so, for exzample: # mkbootdisk 2.4.21

I use yard, so I don't have mkbootdisk installed - but I think it is standard with Mandrake

--- since we typed at the same time. It's there in the Install - I guess you probably have to select "Expert" to get it.

Can I not do this at install, I looked around every where but could not find it.
usually during install it will suggest/ask if you want to make a boot disk. you may need to do it in expert mode. i assume your problem is that you can't get into linux at this point to do what the other two have suggested?

Guest anon

If you install XP and then MDK, lilo will be the only bootloader on your system ( unless you decide to put the bootloader on a different sector /drive)

i just installed mandrake 9.1

it asked me where i want lilo. one of the choices was a floppy. it was towards the end of the install. i don't think i choose expert, but i may have...?

I think I know what the confusion is. If I remember correctly, during the Mandrake install, you have the opportunity to state where you want your bootloader to be placed (MBR, a particular partition, a floppy) and, seperately, an option (possibly only in Expert) to make a boot floppy, for emergencies.

You can get to it by booting with the first cd, typing rescue, installing lilo or grub, and then MAKE YOUR BOOT DISK!

After that, you can do the same process to restore the boot sector and remove lilo/grub.

Cheers for the replies.

I could use lilo as the main bootloader but W2K alreay uses M$ bootloader to swtich between XP and W2K. I didn't want lilo on there as well confusing the others. So by creating a boot disk if I wanted MDK I pop it in, otherwise everyone else goes on not knowing any difference.

I pressed F1, did a expert install and it came to the bootloader section and skipped straight passed it, only on the final config screen could I change anything. So I select /dev/fd0 as the bootloader device put in a floppy and continued. On reboot nothing had changed, bootloader was on first partition od first hd. Re-installed mbr and tried again. This time I selected /dev/fd0 and clicked create disk. This did at least create a bootdisk but the bootloader was still put in the mbr!

I've managed to get the mbr back to M$ bootloader but it's lost the XP startup (trying to say something) but my bootdisk works fine.

I think I need to change the boot.ini file on the c: as the new partitions have lost the XP drive.