Boot Floppy

3lade

You can get to it by booting with the first cd, typing rescue, installing lilo or grub, and then MAKE YOUR BOOT DISK!

After that, you can do the same process to restore the boot sector and remove lilo/grub.

So I want to make sure I understand this correctly. if I use the CD1 install disk as rescue disk, I can:

1.) install lilo

2,) make a boot disk

3.) un-install lilo

4.) Boot Mandy 9.1 from floppy

My original grub boot-loader is left intact so I can boot win 2K & JAMD Linux? :?:

I just do not want to loose my grub boot-loader as it work perfectly.

Later, I will want to add Mandy 9.1 to my JAMD grub boot-loader.

Thnaks for th help,

paul 8)

Negative!

If you have a bootloader already on the mbr, you will destroy it with what I said. If you have a functioning linux bootloader, then boot to your favorite distribution and edit lilo/grub. The rescue only applies to the circumstance that you cannot get into any linux and have no boot disk. I have had winxp and as many as three linux distros all booting happily from lilo!

Ixthusdan,

Thanks for the reply. Here is my drive partition brakedown.

hda1 = Win 98 (Windows C)

hda5 = Win 2K (Windows D)

hda6 = JAMD Linux

hda7 = Mandy 9.1

If I remember correctly, during the Mandrake install, I had the opportunity to state where I wanted the bootloader to be placed (MBR, /root partition, or a floppy). I inserted my floppy and chose floppy. It did not make the boot floppy. It just went directly to Summary.

In the 8.0 version the installer actually had an option of making a boot floppy. It worked flawlessly.

It was not clear to me :oops: that I would have to separately, invoke an option (possibly only in Expert mode) to make a boot floppy, for emergencies. As Kool as the installer is this may be a weakness. Or maybe better yet, I didn't understand the option. :o

If you have a functioning linux bootloader, then boot to your favorite distribution and edit lilo/grub.

That said if I understand your above statement that even without the bootloader floppy I should be able to Boot Mandy from GRUB once I modify the GRUB file to include the hda7 (Mandy 9.1 partition)?

Is that correct.

Please forgive me for trying to be so exact, but the box that I am fussing with is my wife's. If I blow it up, I will never hear the end of it. You know how wives can be? :?: :shock: and :evil:

Um Valpo Indiana awy! I was born in Muncie, IN.

Been in Dallas since 81.

Thank you in advance for your help! :!:

paul 8)

That said if I understand your above statement that even without the bootloader floppy I should be able to Boot Mandy from GRUB once I modify the GRUB file to include the hda7 (Mandy 9.1 partition)?

Is that correct.

Yes, if you add an entry to the grub config file for your mandrake partition it should boot it (assuming all went well and good in the install, of course :) ). if nothing else, it shouldn't effect the booting of any of the other O/S' (but I'm a LILO user, so I'm not sure exactly how grub works if there's an invalid entry)

Yes, what tyme said!

In lilo, I simply add a section as to where lilo should surrender control. I assume grub is similar. Lilo needs to know which partition contains the boot info.