Mozilla 1.4 or 1.3.1 ¿wishes realised?

sud_crow

Hi everyone,

Yesterday i upgraded Mozilla to 1.4, with all my illusions, i didnt tryed any of the RC coz with dial up and as the RC was updated almost weekly, i thought i would wait till 1.4 final to get those 13mb. 8)

I went with the Net Installer becouse it would let me choose if i didnt want something, but finally i decided to go with the full pack ;-)

I expected this release very anxiously (obviously miss spelled) i really wanted to see some mayor improvements,... i think the word would be additions, but the essencial was a NEW SKIN.

I was so excited about that, i really thought it at least would bring a new one. Being the final version before the 'morph' or whatever to Firebird.

But!! as you might all know now, i was dissapointed, there is no new skin... not a single one.

So i thought, lets ask at the mandrake linux users forum!

So here i am, asking the following.

1- What did you expect from the new version?

2- It has meet your expectatives??

3- Do you noticed strange change in the fonts?? --ugly, real ugly--

And finally.... any screenshot and a good skin download source is very much welcome. I couldnt find a decent one... :evil:

Hope someone answers!

1. Nothing really......just wanted the latest epiphany :wink:

2. Actually found it inconsistant. Seems to hesitate quite often for whatever reason.

3. Fonts look great here....but I'm on RH9 :wink:

It's not much....but it's a response :wink:

Damn, no one uses skins? i love the Modern one, i have always used it, but hey! its that its no longer so Modern... i mean, i have it from quite a long time...

I still cant understand why my fonts look all crapy, can anyone tell me about your own fonts configuration?? or something!...

and i do also have the problem with the profile manager...

Yeah. The profiles can be a pain. I'm playing around with the process now. I just started last night, because of comments ezroller made. It has annoyed me in the past, but not sufficiently for me to try to change it. I can open a particular page, or a blank page, but I haven't tried to get it to to open an arg yet.

Here is basically what you can use, it's all in one line, you'll probably want to do a bash script up for it or something:

if `mozilla -remote "ping()"`; then mozilla -remote "xfeDoCommand(openBrowser)"; else mozilla; fi

That's a ` enclosing mozilla -remote "ping()"

if you wanted to have it open up a particular page, i.e., Google, you could replace "xfeDoCommand(openBrowser)" (you could also replace the current page by just putting in the URL (no new-window), or open a new tab with new-tab

Guest jglen490

I just downloaded and installed Mo 1.4. I also grabbed a couple of themes from mozdev.org and am trying them.

Mo 1.4 works well and seems to have good features. My son uses 1.4 also under WinXP and just loves it. I would recommend giving it a good try for a while, themes and skins should catch up with the release soon if you still don't like what is currently available.

Actually i like Mozilla 1.4

It's faster than Firebird was for me

The only thing i don't like is it seems to wait until it gets the whole page up to the last </html> before it shows anything. Although i'm on cable it's not really a problem. But on dial up. I'd hate it.

It runs a lot better than the one included with mandrake (i think 1.3.1) too. Faster. See my specs in sig.

THemes? Well don't complain!!!! They made a few but the users haven't been making enough!!!

Why not make your own? Or modify an existing one? But don't complain about a lack of skins because it's us users' fault. I'd rather they spent time improving the engine of the browser than making skins.

James

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I've restarted and the fonts look HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!!

Instant Thumbs Down for Mozilla 1.4

I've tried changing things in the preferences but nothing will fix it!!!

The fonts seem kinda "pixelated" the complete opposite of AntiAliased.

**Runs around room screaming**

James

:x :x :shock: :shock: :x :x

HA! dont tell i didnt tell you so!

Then its true, the fonts look horrible eh!? especially some kind of fonts wich look like the old font type used by real old computers... like in Odisey 2000 (sorry for the spell, hope you remember the series... kinda star trek)

Well, i really dont know what to do, im actually going back to 1.3.1 if i cant fix this, and in 1.3.1 i didnt had that crapy profile problem neither, but hey! i think i will try out firebird 0.6... if you say its faster, then! its the one for me... i use lynx, but i like graphics and pictures!

PS:

About the skins, I know that they have lot of work and everything, but a good interface its an important thing, and if its good looking, better then.

A dont say that they should only do skins! i just sayd they could at least add a new one with this very release...!

I dont do it my self becouse i suck at doing it :cry: ... i would love to do a nice one... and its true that very few users have done skins... and whats worst! they are horrible! (just like 1.4 fonts ;-)) , to skin makers, dont take this bad, but hey!, they are all clones of Modern, and the few that are not, emulate IE or other ugly thing...

well, i guess i will have to stick to Moder or some clone until something good appears.

I've been using 1.4 from before the rc's and I like it....The modern theme is still good enough for me, looks till modern to my opinion.

I love the control it gives me, cookies, encryption, on javascript, pop-ups, spam,....and the lots of plugins on mozdev.org, myself I've installed mousegstures from optimoz.mozdev.org and I'm starting to get lazy :D.

There is a get-themes-feature in mozilla..here's a website it refers to...

http://www.deskmod.com/?show=showcat&cat_name=mozilla

I also am searching for az plugin that let's you openthe same profile twice, but it doesn't bother me that much...since I still can do everything...