I am on the "global SPAM-list", but WHY??

qeldroma

I set up my little DSL-Router-Firewall-Lamp as email-server with postfix.

The "rustedtech.net" adress is transfered to "rustedtech.homelinux.net" via "MX"-entry.

And "rustedtech.homelinux.net" is dynamically binded to the daily changed IP of the server.

All is working well, i can send and receive mails from type "name@rustedtech.net" via postfix.

But since some days, GMX and some others put my mails in SPAM-directories because i am strangely on a global SPAM-List :shock:

How do i change this? Are some settings in postfix wrong? I read sthg. about "Relayed Mailserver" that are often used for SPAM. Am i?

I was at "SPAMHAUS" and am not on their list. I tried to contact GMX, but they aren't in the mood to help.

I am afraid of mail, beeing send by my and gets filtered on the Mail-host, not by the person receiving it.

When it'S not SPAMHAUS/ROKSO, where could it be else??

I only found SPAMHAUS the other day following links from the M$ anti-Spam article .... (Ooops - you say it just started ... your not using M$ software?? you sent someone at hotmail an email .... )

Hmmmmm. I'm too cynical, they wouldn't be doing that ... would they???

Deliberately assigning linux users as Spammers .... someone tell me I'm too bitter and twisted and they wouldn't do that under the cover of saving the world from SPAM ....

Sorry, I don't know much about this but perhaps SPAMHAUS could help you by finding out where your blocked and giving you a clean bill of health???

qeldroma: when you set up postfix, did you make sure to disallow (turn off) relaying of emails?

Also, I heard somewhere that AOL had started blocking emails coming from IP's that were residential instead of commercial. Something about residential IP's being used for SPAM, because people setup mail servers on their own computers and then use them for sending out SPAM (?)

something like that.

@tyme:

Perhaps that's my trap. It is a server like that, but defintely NO SPAM was send from there, only private messages.

The only thing could be the Mailling-List of my university. Perhaps sending them a mail put mme on SPAM???

Also, I heard somewhere that AOL had started blocking emails coming from IP's that were residential instead of commercial. Something about residential IP's being used for SPAM, because people setup mail servers on their own computers and then use them for sending out SPAM (?)  

Hmm, used for SPAM ... perhaps they just want to control more market.

For me consider this:

I pay a fair amount per month for a phone line ...

I pay again for my 1/2Mb DSL

I get included 100MB webspace, 5 email adresses etc. etc.

I get to use their DNS server, mail server, proxy server, other stuff I can do for myself in Linux.

All I want is a DSL line and switching.

I can use any DNS, I can do my own mail. I NEVER use the phone, only my portable and theres no point phoning cos there aint one plugged in. I did try but I got so many wrong numbers/telemarketing I just unplugged it.

I don't want ANY of those services except the switching onto the internet.

AOL are probably targetting emails originating from home becuase they loose market share. Between MSN and AOL blocking emails from private residences they get a pretty big share of the whole market and foce everyone to using their version of the internet.

Whilst were at (budding lawyers) whats the legal situation concerning blocking perfectly legal NON SPAM mail. If you publish your routes so that the worlds routers pass mail through you then you block someones email deliberately and without reason. Is it the responsibility of the person sending to cleat their name, what if its a business loosing orders?

Keep us posted qeldroma .....

I send all my mail from my computer with either exim or postfix using terry@timestorm.ross.com with a Reply-to: of terry@aliboom.com - I've been doing it for quite a while and it's all getting through.

Whilst were at (budding lawyers) whats the legal situation concerning blocking perfectly legal NON SPAM mail.  If you publish your routes so that the worlds routers pass mail through you then you block someones email deliberately and without reason.  Is it the responsibility of the person sending to cleat their name, what if its a business loosing orders?  
I don't know of any laws requiring service providers to have a reason for blocking an email. Most service providers (like AOL) don't allow relaying, so AOL would only be able to block email being sent to email addy's owned by them.

anyways. qeldroma: you may not be sending spam yourself, but if your server is allowing relaying people could telnet into your system and send emails from it. they could even provide false email addresses. it's actually extremely simple. however, I don't know what config file for postfix contains the switch to turn off relaying :? maybe someone with more experience with postfix can help.

qeldroma, at least it's not universal. Your email made it through to me fine (and spamcom is very good at filtering).

I'm getting ready to send you a copy of what I received, with all the headers. (It's an attachment, so don't be alarmed)

I got now an explicit answer to my error:

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Postfix program at host web.rustedtech.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<info@glassystem.de>: host mx00.schlund.de[212.227.126.147] said: 550-open

proxy - see http://blitzed.org/proxy/?ip=213.39.205.157 550 mail from

213.39.205.157 rejected: administrative prohibition (host is blacklisted)

(in reply to RCPT TO command)

Reporting-MTA: dns; web.rustedtech.net

Arrival-Date: Tue,  1 Jul 2003 16:16:26 +0200 (CEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; info@glassystem.de

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host mx00.schlund.de[212.227.126.147] said:

550-open proxy - see http://blitzed.org/proxy/?ip=213.39.205.157 550 mail

from 213.39.205.157 rejected: administrative prohibition (host is

blacklisted) (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Von:  florian <florian@rustedtech.net>

An:  info@glassystem.de

Betreff:  Frage

Datum:  01 Jul 2003 16:15:19 +0200

--------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at "blitzed.org" and found out, that they think, i got an proxy. But why???

I got NONE!!

They are in the opinion i got an "open proxy" what's generally dangerous, so they blocked me......

But how can i secure an inexisting proxy :shock:

Looks like you've been removed:

Although the IP address 213.39.205.157 has at some point been in our OPM blacklist it is no longer marked as active, this means that the listing has been manually removed or automatically expired, it was removed from the list at 2003-07-01 14:51:05 GMT. If you have recently secured the proxy please be prepared to wait several hours for the removal to propagate. If you are still banned after that time please contact the service that you are trying to connect to for further help. If this website says that you are no longer blacklisted, we are unable to make things happen any faster.
So, wait a few hours and things should be working fine again.

Well, but this is perhaps temporarly. How can i secure this not happening again?

Why did they think, i've got a proxy??

it wasn't you, most likely. the IP was added on 2003-6-15 at 17:00:13 GMT, so unless you had the IP at that time (which you most likely didn't since you're getting your IP dynamically) then it wasn't you who did it.

reference: http://opm.blitzed.org/details?ip=213.39.205.157

there it states that the IP isn't dynamic. This is odd. Must not have been dynamic at the time it was reported (?). But anyways, if you're getting dynamic IPs, there's not much you can do if the IP you get was previously reported as having an open proxy while someone else had that IP. Apparently this service should pick up that it's dynamic, dunno if that makes a difference or not. If it happens again, and it's from the same company, I would contact them. If it doesn't, don't worry about it. Or look into getting a static IP.