what makes the distro you use special?

Guest fubar::chi

Guest fubar::chi

What I basically want to know is why you use the distro you use.

Speed, configurability, eye candy, just cause everyone else is using it, seciruty, just cause you want to? Whatever your reason i'm interested in it.

Just list your distro and version and reason. Hopefully I'll hear from at least one person using redhat 9 because i'd like to actually have a reason to try it (eg. something it does that mdk doesn't).

mine makes my breakfast for me. :lol:

i guess i should put something serious, eh?

personally, i'm currently torn between arch and gentoo...gentoo has more packages, but compiling is a biznatch....arch is optimized for i686, but it still young and a little low on packages in their repository...(yes, i know I could help out w/that)....but what makes it good for me?

i like tweaking things :twisted: which is sometimes harder in other distro's ("damn it, i deleted that line, why is it back again???")....but, i guess all in all, i just like trying out different things.

"the more you know", right?

Currently use Gentoo on my main system, not so bloated and pretty fast. RH 9 on two other box's (mainly for work) to learn as much about how RH does linux. I also run Debian and Solaris on a sparc box, Solaris is another to learn everything about for work deal (plus it is nice). I have an HP workstation at home I forgot about, I put it in my basement so I wouldn't be tempted to Learn HP-UX before I get everything about Solaris down. That's kind of funny, I completely forgot about that box, thanks now I'm going to be tempted again :evil:

Anyway, I also run FreeBSD & Solaris x86 under VmWare just to play around. Pluse Solaris x86 is nice to play with to learn more about Solaris.

I use Mandrake as my main OS, and have done for about 3 years (give or take). Before that I tried several distros, but I digress. I use Mandrake because it just works. I like the freedom Linux offers, and the ability to tinker. But most of the time I need my machine for working on, and then I just want it to work without me doing anything. MDK is easy to install, its fairly nippy, and for me extremely realible. Plus when I do have time to fiddle the option is still there.

Simple. It's simple. Mandrake isn't doing all kinds of wierd stuff and storing installed packages in odd places. It's simply simple. On top of that it's fast and stable.

And this forum is a good reason as well, lots of other users. ;D

RH9 here :wink: ...as I wrote here;

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5692

this thread was about sound skipping

I've recently been using RH9 most of the time, for many reasons. One of which is DMA. After install, RH9 is using udma4. I've only gotten ML to udma3 and that's with hdparm. And sometimes with ML at udma3 I get io errors at boot. None with RH9, and guess what?...not one single skip yet, under the same loads. With ps -A I see it's running 'kscand/DMA'. I don't know if this is a rh exclusive but if it's the reason for udma4 being set, every distro needs it, or something like it. I'm not saying switch to rh, because sound in and of itself wouldn't be enough of a reason for me switch, but might be for some. Yes, I've tried many,many (burning cpu life) diff kernels, patches, and .configs and the default rh9 is the best yet  ...it's really is sad :cry:
Overall, it's less buggy, faster (if you can believe that), and consistant. Don't need urpmi if you have apt/synaptic, though there have been times I wished urpmi was there for default install cd stuff. I'm in XD2 rt now but I'm dumping it...it's slowing things down and adding bugs/ causing weird stuff to happed, which is what I expected :roll: I just did a fresh install of RH9 over Libranet2.8 (hda6) and I'm wipe out XD2 (hda10) and go for the devel versions of gnome and play with it a little. I decided 3 distros was a pain and since I love gnome and RH9's gnome is the best of the 3 (RH9, Libranet2.8, and ML9.1) I'm gonna play with it. ML9.1 is @ hda8 but I never go to it anymore. If I ran kde I'd probably use ML9.1, and ML9.1's gnome gave me a lot of grief...so it's RH9 for me...for now...uuumm I going to go hide now :cheeky:

I also use mandrake, and as others posted, my biggest reason is, it works. BAsicaly I had tried a couple other distros, and had trouble. THe last one before mdk, was a hdinstall of knoppix debian. THat was great, and I loved apt-get, butI had other problems. A guy over at http://www.knoppix.net/forum suggested mandrake and actualy sent me some CD's for an older version, whitch insprired me to order the 9.0 power pack and most reacently the cheap-bytes 9.1 3-CD set. I also like the default theme realy well. seems very unified, very 'together'

I'm back to Mandrake after trying out Gentoo for a month. I found there's too much work involved with Gentoo and I guess I'm not experienced enough (or too lazy) to make it run the way I want.

Mandrake is my default distro and I like it because everything works without too much effort and there's still room to tinker around

arch linux and i like it for many resons.

1. logical file hierarchy

2. good inits

3. devfs

4. package manger

5. arch build system

6. no default de/wm

7. i686 optimized

8. very nice crowd and great user community- not saying that others are bad but arch makes it very easy for the user to contribute in many ways. it can mean alot to a user to see their contributions in numerous ways make it to the final product. while other distros don't discourage user contributions they are/can only on a very limited basis (bug reports, helping on forums like this that are completely ignored by the official mandrake community, etc)

it is not for everyone but fits me to a tee.

Guest c_m_f

I use ML9.1 as i like the gui, i would go gentoo, but i like MCC and all the drake tools, i dont like having to eidt config files justto get it going, twaking im ok wth, but not set up things.

While I reserve the right to play with anything, I like Mandrake. I started from windows, and my first distro was mandrake 7.0 after I researched it. I did not know enough to build it myself, and I like gui city. Mandrake was the choice then, and is still. As I learn how to "put it together" via other distros, mandrake always stays on my machine because it is reliable, it has easily used tools for configuration, and this user community is the best. In many communities, it doesn't take long to see someone get slammed with the "RTFM" line or even told how to go somewhere else and stop bothering everyone else's brilliance! :lol:

bvc, I almost switched to redhat a while back! I think it was their 7.2 release that I used.

bvc, I almost switched to redhat a while back! I think it was their 7.2 release that I used.
This is the first time I've used RH. I keep ML9.1 just to help out here. I can chroot /mnt/m and still use urpmf and such to help resolve deps and of course some of the config files and scripts are a little diff so I need to verify that I'm give the correct info sometimes.