what makes the distro you use special?

Guest fubar::chi

I use MDK because of this board and previous incarnations of such. I can get a problem solved or have fun with friends. (the Great DOlson andf JeroenM)...okay Cannofodder and qnr too because of their cool critters (dogs)

Guest fubar::chi

Well so far it seems that from all the posts arch seems interesting. I have an i686 processor so it should do some good. Gentoo too but I know what i'll be getting into with gentoo. like dolson said somewhere else on the board the two milliseconds I gain from a program starting isn't much incentive for all the work i'd have to do... aannd then there's debian. Suse too come to think of it. SuSe is always cool whenever i install it, then the novelty where off as soon as I boot back into mdk. They always have cool bootslpashes though :mystismiles:

So far I'm thinking about trying out Arch and Yoper. Anyone ever used the aussie distro?

Source Mage GNU/Linux (Athlon 2600+ XP, Compaq 732 US AMD Athlon laptop), Debian (Atari TT/030), NetBSD (Atari TT/030, Atari 4160 STe) - (and my Zaurus).

Working on porting SMGL to my TT too.

Hmmm, while you probably have a point as far as the speed goes, there are other factors involved. I can't really speak for Gentoo because I tried it and found it was over-hyped. For SMGL I found that speed was extremely enhanced over, for example, Mandrake. This was borne out to me first in video encoding. Using transcode and mjpegtools, I was getting about 8 FPS with Mdk (on my Athlon 1200) - with SMGL, I was encoding the same files at 20-22 FPS. I also like the fact that it is relatively easy to contribute (Wiki, spells, ports, etc.). Finally, I never (well, maybe 1 out of 850 casts) have any dependency problems.

Edit: Added laptop to computer list

Guest stodge

I use Mdk 9.1 because "it works".

I tried Lycoris a while back as I like the ide of a KDE only distro, but it was way too slow. Primarily because it was using KDE2.

I briefly tried RH9 but I wasn't impressed with the footprint, even when I chose not to install some features. I might try RH9 again next month and try to be more objective; I don't think I've given it a fair shake of the stick. I'll have to wait until next month to download the 3 ISOs for it, as I think I'm already approaching my download limit for this month.

What I  basically want to know is why you use the distro you use.  

Speed, configurability, eye candy, just cause everyone else is using it, seciruty, just cause you want to? Whatever your reason i'm interested in it.

Just list your distro and version and reason.  Hopefully I'll hear from at least one person using redhat 9 because i'd like to actually have a reason to try it (eg. something it does that mdk doesn't).

I went back to RH 9 yesterday after a week of Gentoo AGAIN. I just didn't see any reason to play with Gentoo when RH 9 just works and I'm starting a pilot program at work for RH too. Like it has been mentioned, I didn't see a big difference in speed. Gentoo is a fun distro and nice to play with, it would also be good for regular use, but I just have more reasons to use RH anymore.

As far as your question "something it does that mdk doesn't" Here is one answer:

Linux software vendor Red Hat Inc. today announced revenue of $27.2 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2004, up 5% from the previous quarter and 39% higher than in the same period one year ago.

http://www.madpenguin.org/article.php?sid=...=thread&order=0

I'm sure you know how MDK is doing. :oops:

Also, RH has a lot of repositroys for apt-get on the software side.

Guest stodge

lol, yeah that was low, but it will matter for something. How long before the Mandrake company disappears? I guess the only consolation is that if Mandrake does close their doors, development and support of their distribution will continue in the community. I'm sure there are a number of developers out there who would be willing to attempt to keep it alive.

Ok, I'm just trying to be optimistic!

lol, yeah that was low, but it will matter for something. How long before the Mandrake company disappears? I guess the only consolation is that if Mandrake does close their doors, development and support of their distribution will continue in the community. I'm sure there are a number of developers out there who would be willing to attempt to keep it alive.

Ok, I'm just trying to be optimistic!

ooohh...low low blow man.....

besides, i believe this topic is about the actual distro, not the company behind it

That's why I brought it up, it can make a big impact on a desicion to use a distro. :P

That's why I brought it up, it can make a big impact on a desicion to use a distro.  :P
erm.....fuzzy logic, but sure...ok.... :huh:

Hey, I'm all about the fuzzy logic! :screwy:

I think the reasons are all continually changing.

Ive run Mdk since 8.1 as a primary distro and messed with others.

Theres always something new, one reason for 9.1 was bluez support for instance and the new kernel.

The thing is because each distro release is independent (or should be) one will tend to go past the others or leapfrog it for a while.

There are lots of great distro's and Mandrake has always tried to balance leading edge and stable. I like getting the support for newer devices but its often not a good enough reason to change. You can always build it yourself. One reason I like MDK is you can add your own modules etc. if you get a brand new device but it is supported pretty quickly so you can go back to a standard distro.

I have a friend who keeps changing distro becuase a new one supports A,B or C out of the box. thats his philosophy. At work we use RH where we use linux at all becuase we are very conservative. Thats another philosophy. I like to sit in the middle somewhere....

i.e. the upgrade to 9.1 was mainly cosmetic but because I didn't have a whole backlog of things I had to recompile it was relatively simple.

If you build everything from scratch upgrading can be a pain, esecially when you have lots of machines.

So I think its good to have diversity and leading edge stuff but built around a stable core. I have my own personal list of 'must do's' and a much longer one of 'would be nice if'. What i like is when the nice if's quickly become mainstream.