Moving/resizing Linux Partition ....

sud_crow

Well,

This is what i have:

I have 2 HD, one has 15gb and the other 20gb, the first one its partitioned in two, and hosts two OS, (actually one OS and an intend of another) being MDK9.1 and Win98, the other has WinXP.

Now, this is what i want:

I want to 'move' Linux (everything on the patition) to the 20gb HD, wich i will format in ext3fs (if someone can tell that RFS is better and why, would help) then i want to unpartition the 15gb drive and make it one NTFS partition for winXP.

I dont care about losing everything in Windoze (neither of them), i cant even remember how many times i did (god only knows) i just want my functional and personalised Linux on the other drive, is there a way to do it?? Or can i save through the MCC backup manager the system and configuration files and then replace them on the new installation?

If i can make this i might even reduce XP size to 5 or less GB...

Is there any free soft like VMware or Win4Lin??

I mean, if i can actually run a windows terminal on Linux, it would be quite awsome....

I recomend that you consider some options:

1) Windows needs to be on the primary boot partition and drive in order to make it play nice. For what you describe, your 15G needs to be primary master.

2) Partition the 20G into 1 primary partition and several extended partitions within that primary, namely a / partition, a swap partition, /home partition, and a /usr partition. You have so much room that you could actually reserve 5-6 G for experimenting with mandrake or a different distro!

3) Space for linux?

/=3G

/home= 4G

/usr= 8G

swap=500MB

5G for Something later

4) I like reiserfs for recovery from crashes. (my crashes only occur because of flagrant os abuse on my part, and a steep learning curve!)

You can make the new partitions one at a time with diskdrake, and tell discdrake to move your stuff at each step. Then use disk drake to wipe the old drive. You can then use xp to partition the now empty 15G drive to format ntfs and install xp, although I made a fat32 partition on my xp drive for sharing info between xp and linux.

Hello.

Well, thanks for such a complete answer.

Actually, i'm on a Linux From Scratch proyect i want to do, so i will make good use of those 5gb! :lol:

So you say that DiskDrake can move all my Linux system to the other formated drive and then i reconfigure LILO (i actually know how) to boot from hdb instead of hda and is everything set?

By the way, WinXP doesnt need to be on a master drive, that was with the 9x series, and i didnt got right that of Fat32 instead of NTFS, Linux cant see a NTFS partition? I thought it could... also, can you tell me a bit more of the differences between ext3 and RFS?? or just link me to somewhere i can look...

thank you very much!!

Hello.

By the way, WinXP doesnt need to be on a master drive, that was with the 9x series, and i didnt got right that of Fat32 instead of NTFS, Linux cant see a NTFS partition?

thank you very much!!

On that subject: I do know that Linux *can* see NTFS partitions, only not write to it. Well, it can, but writing to NTFS is still experimental, so probably dangerous.

Darkelve

Lilo can be installed on the master boot recoed of your primary drive. But if a windows system is on the drive, you should install lilo after windows is installed.

Linux can now both see and write to ntfs. But I'm sayinf that ntfs can be a pain even with windows and no linux.

All right, thanks everyone, i have the system already in transition, im writing from the moved Linux, and im installing XP on the other HD in a few days.

Thanks for the support and the great links, i used ext3 for now, but more i read, more interested in ReiserFS i get. It seems to be a bit better, and the only difference beatween ext2/3 is the journaling thing, that RFS already had it, plus some details that seem pretty good. Maybe i manage and i convert this to RFS before installing XP so i use the free space.

Again, thank you all!

sud_crow,

About your sig:

tecnically, to get a BSOD on Linux, you should -I think- be using Win4Lin. I think Wine(X) will just crash without the beautiful blue. I could be wrong though...

Nevertheless, even if you succeed in getting a BSOD, your system won't hang like it used to. It's just not the same... :lol:

Darkelve

NOOO!!! i cant believe you! :?

you just broke all my hopes ! :cry:

now, what im going to do!!? :wink:

do i go back to windows? :roll:

well, i guess i will have to live without it! :twisted:

And still on the BSOD subject, if you need the occasional fix, you can always use the xscreensaver module BSOD:

"BSOD stands for ``Blue Screen of Death.'' The finest in personal computer emulation, this hack simulates popular screen savers from a number of less robust operating systems. Written by Jamie Zawinski."

As a bonus, you get crash screens for lots of platforms:

Windows 3.1, NT, 2000, Sad Mac, Mac Bomb, MacsBug, MacOS X, NCD X Terminal, BSD, Linux, Sparc Linux, Solaris, SCO, AmigaOS and Atari.