Geforce 4

johnnyv

Well, I don't know... The GeForce2 doesn't have 3D out of the box.

I just got a GF4 Ti4200 today, and it doesn't work properly with Mandrake 9.0 RC3, out of the box. I just used links to view my page and download the drivers and then I installed them.

Worked like a charm.

Same here. RC3 doesn't properly recognize this card 'out of the box'. X won't start at all. If you plan on getting one, do this:

1. download the .src.rpms for the nvidia kernel and glx.

2. put them somewhere you'll remember, like /home/whoever/nvidia

3. during the RC3 install, do an expert install and tick the development package group during package selection. pick nvidia whatever towards the end..don't worry if the test of X fails. make sure kde or whatever does not start, you don't want it trying to start x on your first boot

4. on first boot, go into the nvidia folder you made and su to root. issue the rpm --rebuild command to the src.rpms one at a time..they should build fine.

5. go into /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 and rpm -Uvh the new rpms it built. do the kernel rpm first.

6. use vi or emacs or whatever to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. only thing you need to change is the line Driver "nv". change it to Driver "nvidia"

7. save the edited file..type startx and witness the magic.

This process works for any unknown geforce. I tried to pester mandrake during the beta period but my info fell on blind eyes. My card is recognized as an nv25 chipset..mandrake rc3 just doesn't know what it is. It thinks it's a geforce but has no clue which one. Anyway, with this process you can do it yourself.

This won't be an issue for whoever buys the boxed set according to Ranger and Deno. Even if it's not detected as the *right* Geforce, as long as you pick Geforce the nvidia-supplied binaries will work. Any Geforce or tnt2 uses the Driver "nvidia" and the kernel module/glx module.

Isn't it weird how Mandrake started putting tons of default options in the /etc/X1/XF86Config-4 file since the first 9 beta? There are glx options in there, v4l, bla bla, about 6 or 7. Before there was only one, the dbe thing.

This won't be an issue for whoever buys the boxed set according to Ranger and Deno. Even if it's not detected as the *right* Geforce, as long as you pick Geforce the nvidia-supplied binaries will work. Any Geforce or tnt2 uses the Driver "nvidia" and the kernel module/glx module.

Isn't it weird how Mandrake started putting tons of default options in the /etc/X1/XF86Config-4 file since the first 9 beta? There are glx options in there, v4l, bla bla, about 6 or 7. Before there was only one, the dbe thing.

My 8.2 had v4l in it by default.

Mine did too but I'm talking about all this stuff:

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

Now that I think about it...all of those except freetype and glx were there in 7.2, 8.1 and 8.2 (or whichever version shipped with XFree4). They were just scattered across separate lines. Much cleaner this way.

Umm mandrake 8.2 installs the nvidia drivers for geforce 2 out of the box i have never had to do anything extra to get 3d working on 8.2.

8.1 i had to type depmod -a i think after install and that was it.

oh well I will get a geforce 4 anyway, and it may take longer but it will eventually work.

DOlson do you run q3a and unreal from you window manager or do you load a script to load your game without a window manager. Just want to know if its worth doing seeing im launching my games from kde.

I don't see a real point of using a script to launch my games instead of Blackbox... I have icons, and they're there for a reason.

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load	"dbe"

# This loads the Video for Linux module.

Load        "v4l"

Load	"glx"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables

# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.

SubSection	"extmod"

#Option	"omit xfree86-dga"

EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules

Load	"type1"

Load	"freetype"

EndSection

That's my 8.2 file... I don't know what that extmod crap is about...

ahh i see, i always buy the newest version when it comes out. trouble is it usually takes at least a month after release too come out in New Zealand. This time i wanted to download it so i could have it sooner, then buy it when it does come out after.

As for setting up the geforce 4, im sure i could do it without having to pull out all of my hair, a third maybe :D

I was just wondering if it was worth the effort of setting up scripts for launching the x server.

It probably isn't as i get 70+ fps for q3a and unreal based games launched from kde2.

Although when the linux client is ready for NWN, I hear it pretty resource intensive. I think i will go look up how to do it as i think i would like too know how even if i don't use it.

Well, if say, you use KDE, you could start it using Xtart and choosing it in the list.

Then, make a ~/.xinitrc file and put the name of the game you want to run in there. Then, type in startx, and it'll go.

I don't think you can blame Mandrake for poor initial support for GeForce4. That should fall upon the XFree project. They are the one that makes the initial drivers.

Although I cannot help but wonder if Mandrake allows an rpm download of nvidia drivers from their server during the "download security/patches" section of installation.