Geforce 4

johnnyv

I can second on that, the NV25 is not recognized out of the box by XFree 4.2.1 :( I cannot choose anything except Geforce generic, but after that I installed the Nvidia Tarballs and it was ok.

Funny thing is Redhat 8.0 (w/XFree 4.2.0) has NO problems with my Ti4200 ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dlmazzo

I had similar trouble getting the GeForce4 to come up right in Mandrake 8.2 -- there are new drivers on NVidia's site but note that they are for 8.2 only -- NOT 9.0.

However, some of the posters here imply that you may be able to build them. I did it using their .rpm files and it works (even with TwinView). It looks like the GeForce4 will be a great video card (two DVI outputs) but we may need time for the drivers and distributions to catch up.

I learned a big lesson on backing up my XF86Config-4 BEFORE screwing with things. At least you can return to a working system if you mess something up.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drnibbles

*edit* Ok so i did some more searching on this board and I found a tutorial.. Thanks for all the help. It's fantastic...

Well I have always dreamt about installing the non MS system like Mandrake and i did last night. Now I'm pretty new to *nix but like to test and roam around. But I have no clue how to get this to work. It's just to many files to compile here and to isnatll there, such things as rpms and tar and alla else.

I cannot find any step by step on mandrake how to install and get KDE up and running with my geforce and I really would like to get Mandrake to run. This is why I usually go back to MS again as it is just to much work to get things to run on *unix. But hey I'll give it one more shot...

Any one willing to help a new but intrested user.....

Cheers

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil
*edit* Ok so i did some more searching on this board and I found a tutorial.. Thanks for all the help. It's fantastic...

I cannot find any step by step on mandrake how to install and get KDE up and running with my geforce and I really would like to get Mandrake to run. This is why I usually go back to MS again as it is just to much work to get things to run on *unix. But hey I'll give it one more shot...

Any one willing to help a new but intrested user.....

Cheers

I followed this and had no problems. Its very step by step.

http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/tutorials/nvidiacli.php

Anyone get TwinView working well? I can get it sort of working with partial destop showing on the TV, or full desktop but no monitor! (Dont have a second monitor :( )