Mandrake 9.1 installation problems

spinynorman

This is my first appearance on a Linux forum. My Linux adventure began 8 months ago when I loaded RH 7.3 for Dummies on my ASUS Terminator P4. I got the winmodem up and running, but the Epson C62 printer and mouse wheel didn't work.

I have now installed Mandrake 9.1 (Power Pack edition), and upgraded to ADSL broadband. The good news is that the mouse wheel now works, but I have problems with the monitor and internet connection (and the printer, but I'll leave that for the moment).

I have a Hansol H530 TFT LCD monitor, which was okay with RH 7.3. Now when I login to KDE, I get an 'out of range' message: Fh 35.4 Hz Fv 86.9 Hz Pixel 23.5 MHz. The message disappeared after about 30 seconds so I was able change the monitor and graphics card settings, but to no avail. I have used the plug-n-play, custom and generic options appropriate for 1024 * 768 @ 75 Hz. My SIS 315 AGP graphics card is not listed, so have tried several other SIS types. The non-vendor options always revert to VESA.

I have PnP disabled . The AGP setting is 4X Mode (not sure what this is). I have even tried using the framebuffer (not sure what this is either), and that really brought things to a halt.

I have checked the settings in XF86Config-4 and these reflect the changes I have made. When testing the settings in MCC, the on-screen log shows:

XFdrake [2332] removed files/directories /tmp/.X9-lock

Running XFdrake test in a console shows:

Shutting down X Font Server     [OK]

Starting X Font Server                [OK]

Xfs is not running at /usr/lib/libDrakX/Xconfig/test.pm at line 47

I am running out of ideas and am worried that I may be doing damage. Should I stay out of KDE completely? I have reduced the brightness to 50% - does this help?

As far as the modem is concerned, I have rechecked the settings I've been given, and the Speedtouch seems to be working (blinks in all the right places). The only message I get is 'connection failed - check settings'. I have noticed that the listing under KDE/Information/USB Devices reads 'Speedtouch (ISDN)' - can this be right?

I would be grateful for any help you can give.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to your first Linux forum :-) Hope your experience ends up well :wink:

On to the problems...the first thing to through out is, have you updated all the packages using MCC? There are a lot of updates, so if you haven't done this I would suggest doing it first.

Also, post your XF86Config-4 file. This will help determine what settings are being used for your monitor.

Brightness most likely will not help you with your issue. I would go into KDE (or any graphical interface) as little as possible until the issue is resolved, simply because I don't like the look of that "out of range" message-it means that Linux is sending a signal to the monitor that is not proper.

This is just some starting info...I'll do some hunting on the SIS 315 AGP graphics card and see if I can find anything. Then again, someone else may post a fix before I get anything.

If your not feeling adventurous you could just install a ethernet modem instead for about 50 quid.

I never really liked the idea of running a network protocol through USB. Even if you don't have a network card they're dirt cheap (10 quid) (Im typing on a French keyboard so I don't have a pound sign :-)) just a suggestion depending how much time you have :-)

You can choose FlatPanel as an option for the monitor and then the resultion of the monitor iself.

If your running VESA it shouldn't do any harm but it will be slow.

If DRAKXConfig isn't working you can try other options, if they weren't installed its easy from the RPMDRAKE.

xf86cfg. This is pretty good, you just need a working X to run it.

xf86config. Old and outdated but sometimes a good way to just get X up and running.

XFRee86 -configure this should autodetect and stick a sample XF86Config in your home directory, you can examine it and then startx -xf86config <location of generated file>

If you also run pciinfo and dump the output it might help too.

There is also a log of the X startup in /var/log/XF86 .... dah dah.log

I could have ordered an update CD with my Power Pack, but gambled that the modem would work. I've now ordered one - it should be with me in a couple of days. :oops:

Meanwhile I'll copy down the contents of XF86Config-4 when I get home, and report back tomorrow.

Yo Norm,

If your installation is a "powerpack" boxed edition, then it should have installed the speedtouch usb modem OK.

As far as I can sus the modem (I have the old blue "cow pat" version, but don't use it anymore) has it's own setup in the MCC.

You may have to check that you didn't enable the "firewall" when installing.

Presuming that the version that you got is 9.1 then I doubt whether the "update" cd will make any difference.

The modem should just show as speedtouch usb, it's pppoa for the BT based product (or might be called pppoatm) and not isdn. You will also need to check the IP number. My service is BT based, but provided by pipex. I have a static IP, not a dynamic one. It may affect your settings???

Failing that, have a look at www.solwise.co.uk I now use one of their SAR110 modem routers - it means that I don't have to wait for the modem to re-initialise when changing between mandy and window$ and takes the connection out of the hands of the OS (but you will need a network card).

I would try the window$ favourite, and go for a re-install.

When you are following the setup routine, try looking at the monitor as a 800/600. I have had a few snags setting mine up (though it's not a hansol) and got it to work ok instead of using the default settings - though since I last meddled with it, it now seems to accept the default setup - the first time I have managed to get it as 1024X768. I also had to meddle with the refresh rate (I think that's what you call it) in Hz - that might work ???

regards

John 8)

I have just been looking at the software manager section of the mandrake control centre. If you look in the "software manager" part and try

all packages>configuration>hardware at the bottom of the list is the speedtouch mgmt software.

I am presuming that that should get your "speedtouch" up and running under mandy 9.1 though I seem to recall you could put it in place during installation when you select the speedtouch connection.

I have visited the Speedtouch website. The standard and ISDN versions look exactly the same. As I bought it second-hand with no documentation, it may be the wrong one. If so, I can go back to the dealer and try to swap it.

Can I use an always-on connection without a firewall?

Can I use an always-on connection without a firewall?

You can if you don't mind being open to attack!:shock: I am behind a firewall and I have a second level firewall on windows workstations. I detect sniffers at least once a week, and have repelled 3-4 attacks per month. My dsl is always on, which is what I think I think they look for. :wink:

do you know the horizontal sync and vertical refresh rate(s) of your monitor? this should be in the manual.

you may want to make this:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1024x768"

HorizSync 31.5-48.5

VertRefresh 40-70

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

look like this:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1024x768"

HorizSync 31.5-48.5

VertRefresh 40-70

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

#ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

#ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

#ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

as you shouldn't need those modelines. Also, HorizSync and VertRefresh should be set to the range that your monitor is capable of.

Try what tyme said,

Check the actual resolution of your monitor. Make SURE its is 1024x768

At the bottom is the link to the driver maintainer, this is linux after all. I pulled offf the relevant stuff but check it out anyway :-)

Assuming you have the SIS Card (315) this is a tricky card.

SIS 315 series drivers should include support for a second CRT/LCD/TV out, the exact use of the second screen seems to depend on the actual card and if you might have AN OEM VERSION.

Thus your sis driver should be the right one, it reportedly supports 315,550,650,651,M650 and the 740 which are apprently all the same series. If Im being vaugue here its becuase SIS refuse to release the architecture.

If I was struggling with this I'd uncomment out the SWCursor and stick in a "YES" or maybee "1". Same for NoAccel, and Force CRT1.

Then if it works you should be able to incrementally try adding them one at a time.

I suspect it might be trying to use CRT1 and CRT2.

A further thing is the XFree driver only supports the default resolution for TFT panels. When it displays at something else this is done through software interpolation and this doesn't work with that driver. Thus if its really a 1280x1024 IT WILL NOT WORK at 1024x768 with the SIS driver.

If you monitor is DCC complient then Xfree will automatically set horis/vert refresh frequencies, try deleting them. Also problems have been reported in 24bit colour with the refresh rate. Apparently then you must be extra careful with the refresh rates so I'd get it all working in 16bpp first.

Once you have the driver running properly at 16 bpp and the correct resolution then you can try other colour depths. If you use xf86cfg you can actually increment and decrement them and see the effect live. It then writes the modeline for you.

Edit: Thanks tyme. From here selct the SIS drivers penguin (duh)

http://www.winischhofer.net/

appears to be a dead link. :unsure:

but if you go to the main page: http://www.winischhofer.net there is a link there for "Linux and SiS VGA Chipsets"-follow that and it should be helpful :-)

btw-did anyone else notice that that webpage apparently has problems with people linking to it's images externally? :huh:

Just to recap the facts according to the Hansol handbook:

• Max Resolution: 1024 X 768 @ 75 Hz

Horizontal Frequency: 60 kHz (max)

Vertical Frequency: 75 Hz (max)

Pixel Range: 0.297 mm x 0.297 mm

In the 'standard signal table', there are settings for VGA, SVGA, XGA and MAC. There are two lots of figures for XGA - the only ones for 1024 x 768. The higher of these is:

• Horizontal Frequency: 60.023

Vertical Frequency: 75.029

Clock Frequency: 78.750

I created and ran a sample XFConfig file as suggested. This produced a different 'out of range' message:

• Fh: 59.9 kHz

Fv: 59.9 Hz

Pixel: 108.9 MHz

The Horizontal & vertical values are within range, so the 'pixel' one must be wrong. Is this the same as the clock frequency? If so, how do I change it? Does the mm pixel range in the manual (above) relate to this?

I have been using 16bpp & 1024 x 768. The spec for the ASUS Terminator P4 is at http://www.pctekonline.com/aspenbarsyst.html.

Thank you for your patience.

Just a further thought: the monitor worked perfectly with RH 7.3 (largely unamended because of slow modem). Would the version of XFree or something else make the difference?