Mandrake 9.1 installation problems

spinynorman

spinyNorman

You still have the timings for the sony Viao screen but notice this is 1024x480 NOT 1024x768.

This is becuase the viao has one of those squashed screens with a different aspect ratio.

Your monitor is specified as

HorizSync 30-61

VertRefresh 56-76

Whereas you say its

HorizSync 48

VertRefresh 60

When it starts up it probes for values which aren't specified. The actual values have to be something supported by the video chip. If you check you'll see: (II) SIS(0): 1024x768@60Hz

Its picking up

(**) SIS(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 78.7 MHz, 60.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz

(II) SIS(0): Modeline "1024x768" 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync

from your config it seems to have picked up

ModeLine "1024x480" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

and its trying to use it as 1024x768 but the timings are all screwed up because this relates to the viao screen.

You can't use that line, it doesn't fit the capabilites of your monitor BUT more importantly we know from the SIS driver maintainer that it doesn't support interpolation so I doubt it will ever work.

I know its long but if you could post the whole file it would be clearer.

Same goes for your XF86Config.

These things can be really annoying, have you considered a better supported card?

If you post everything I'll look through, its a bit of a dark art for me I'm afraid but I have got really awkward video stuff to work before :-)

As an alternative: If you can change to booting failsafe and then run xf86cfg you have a more flexible way to play with the modes and write a new XF86Config file. xf86cfg is on the Mandrake disks if you did't install it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still have the timings for the sony Viao screen but notice this is 1024x480 NOT 1024x768

Yes, I'm sorry. When I saw 1024x... I must have switched off. :? The 2 modelines I thought I had pasted in from 'XF86Config.test.old' were:

• ModeLine "1024x768" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync; and

ModeLine "1024x768" 65 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

• Your monitor is specified as

HorizSync 30-61

VertRefresh 56-76

Whereas you say its

HorizSync 48

VertRefresh 60

I think the 48/60 values originated in your previous posting.

I'll try again with the values I intended to use. If that fails, I'll try xf86cfg. :)

First things,

spinyNorman sent the whole log by email: now can you also send the XF86Config-4?

OK, I see your using the SMP kernel.

Anyone know if failsafe switches to a single processor kernel???

If you aren't using two processors its best to use the stock MDK kernel.

Ok looked through everthing in the log.

It definitively tells me the monitor values are from the setting in monitor 1.

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "HSL"

ModelName "H530"

Option "DPMS"

HorizSync 30-61

VertRefresh 56-76

So, without looking at documentation I'm not sure if you can pass a single value so try this.

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "HSL"

ModelName "H530"

Option "DPMS"

HorizSync 30-48

VertRefresh 30-60

waiting for XF86Config....

Anyone know if failsafe switches to a single processor kernel???.

i believe it uses the same kernel as a normal boot, just passing different options to it...so, if you use an SMP kernel it will use that one, if you're using a UP kernel it will use that....

OK,

there are different kernels depending on the type of support you compile in. (from a Mandrake option point of view)

According to the XF86config its reporting the fact you are using SMP (symetrical mutli processor)

When you comile from source and run configure you get to choose which options to compile in.

These range from modules which can be dynamically loaded through to hardcoded drivers (i.e. you need the IDE driver compiled in the kernel becuase you need your disk to boot!)

SMP gives the option for multi processors. Its a don't use unless you have to option!

If you look in /boot you will see the different stock kernels copied at install time.

You should have the vanilla

Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk_i686

This indicates kernel major/minor releases 2.4.21 and the mdk versions 0.13 and the fact its optimised for pentium II and above.

You can add the stock kernel from the cd's, recompile your own (maybe leave for a rainy day).

If you have 1GB (forget exact number) of memory you need to use the Kernel Enterprise, if not the stock one is safer.

I don't know why or how but it might have something to do with your problems and its worth replacing anyway.

I'll copy the email to the BB.

Steve

I'm confused (as ever). :?

According to the XF86config its reporting the fact you are using SMP (symetrical mutli processor)  

When you comile from source and run configure you get to choose which options to compile in.

I haven't done any manual compilations, especially not of the kernel.

SMP gives the option for multi processors.  Its a don't use unless you have to option!
Was there an option during installation which caused this to happen? :?:

You can add the stock kernel from the cd's
Does this mean I just have to install Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk_i686, if it isn't in /boot? Will it become the default? :?:

Sorry, but you have to spell things out for a newbie! :roll:

Crystal Display (LCD), 256,000 colors.

RESOLUTION - 1024 x 768 @ 60/75 Hz

640 x 480 @ 60/75 Hz

800 x 600 @ 60/75 Hz

PIXEL PITCH - 0.297mm x 0.297mm

FREQUENCY - Horizontal: 30 ~ 60 kHz Vertical: 56 ~ 75 Hz

I found this at a Hansol site for the 15" display.

Have you tried setting it for 640x480 yet?

Oh and make sure the color depth is set right.

Just some ideas here.

Pzatch: According to the driver maintainer the SIS driver won't do pixel interpolation. In other words he needs to use it as 1024x768. If anyone else (tyme I know you did) checked the link out and thinks I'm wrong then say so becuase I only have limited time.

All: If anyone thinks spinynorman shouldn't get rid of SMP kernel say now!!

spinyNorman: I can't remember exact details. My guess is you will have to add it to lilo afterwards. You just need to copy it to /boot which the rpms will do.

The defauly kernel is actually a sym link from vmlinuz -> kernel you are running. I THINK you could just change the symlink.

Editing lilo is pretty easy but please use a pure text editor. It is very picky about extra lines, hidden characters. Remember you need to run lilo afterwards.

You can copy the previous entry and just add the kernel you want in place of the vmlinuz. Its important to install from rpm becuase all your modules are compiled for that kernel and the rpm should also install the modules.

I tried out the modelines I mentioned a couple of posts ago. This produced the usual 'out of range' message in normal linux mode. I will send the files to Gowator, in case there's anything of interest.

On the question of SMP, during one of my reinstalls - possibly the latest - I selected 'network (client)' (or something like it) from the packages for installation. I did this in the hope that it might help with my modem problem. Could this be responsible for the SMP? Would it easier to reinstall again? I should point out that the monitor problem existed before I used this option.

BTW, while searching for inspiration, I came across a Linux Kernel menu option (Configuration/KDE/System/Linux Kernel), which gave the following error message:

The kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error:

cannot open /usr/src/linux/arch/config.in for reading

Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you have just found a bug in KDE Kernel Configurator.

I'm kinda at a loss why it installed the SMP kernel unless you do have 2 processors.

I'm at my windows machine at work so this is why im a bit vague about exact details.

When i say something its probably 90% accurate in regards to an exact filename or directory etc. so you shouldn't follow blindly.

Look on the bright side, yuor learning ahell of a lot. You might not think so right now but next time you have a minor glitch you'll look back and see how much youve learned. That a big plus on linux becuase in windows the deinsstall-reinstall-reboot-dah dah dah might eventually solve it but all you learned is reboot and reinstall.

I got your abc files and Im having a look but you havn't actually altered the monitor timings to what I said in the XF86Config-4.

aka

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "HSL"

ModelName "H530"

# Option "DPMS"

HorizSync 30-61

VertRefresh 56-76

You said Hs 48hz and Vf 60 so this isn't going to work ;-)

Regarding your kernel config, the vanilla one will supercede it so it won't matter in the end.

Other than that it looks like it should work. Only glitch is its trying to use DRI but it isn't supported. It reposrts handling it OK but it won't hurt to disable specifically.

specifically, about using the Drake tool:

The current XFree auto-configurator programs are not capable of creating a suitable configuration for my driver because they don't know about the new options I implemented. Thus, for optimum performance, you will have to edit your XF86Config-4 file by hand.

From http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml

Anyway, disregarding that you can boot into failsafe.

Just do it. Ask Nike say.

OK so lets assume you get X up and working and your logged in.

Ok kill dm,kdm,mdkdm or gdm whichever your running.

(if you don't know how ask)

Now open a console su to root and type init 3

OK your graphical environment should dissapear and you will be at a login so login....as yourself.

Now type startx.

You probably just get x with no window manager and a console but don't worry at this point.

You have two main options:

Xvidtune or xf86config. You main problem seems to be timings and both of these are good for modifying them.

So does it still work at this point.

type xf86cfg as root in a console.

Does it work? If not as a root prompt urmpi X11R6-contrib-4.3-5mdk.i586.rpm

Let it install and try again....

Assuming it does you can see the configuration graphically.

You can then check the monitor stuff etc.

Have a try.

Now there is a specific page for video timings. Try playing about. Do something becuase then it will rewrite the timings.

If these timings still work then cool.

Now use ctrl alt bkspc to close the xserver. restart it with startx

Is everthing OK? .

OK then kill it again and back at the console as root type init 5

OK you should get the login.

Log -in.

Everything still OK?

Ok log out and reboot.

try the normal kernel. (default)

Is it still working....

OK .. cool its fixed

NO: OK lets change your kernel.

Back to a failsafe bootup.

Now type urmpi kernel-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

and add the documentation for good measure.

urmpi kernel-doc-2.4.21-0.13mdk.i586.rpm

and source

kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13mdk.i586.rpm

Try and do this all in order.

Edit the values first and make sure about the timings you quoted from your manual.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the detailed instructions. As you say, I'm learning a lot, but it never seems enough! :)

Just to clear up a few points.

You said Hs 48hz and Vf 60 so this isn't going to work  

I think you've picked up these figures by mistake. The manual only has max values (H 60 & V 75), so I've been trying to use the ranges specified in the log, viz:

• (II) SIS(0): Supported additional Video Mode:

(II) SIS(0): clock: 78.8 MHz Image Size: 304 x 228 mm

(II) SIS(0): h_active: 1024 h_sync: 1040 h_sync_end 1136 h_blank_end 1312 h_border: 0

(II) SIS(0): v_active: 768 v_sync: 769 v_sync_end 772 v_blanking: 800 v_border: 0

(II) SIS(0): Ranges: V min: 56 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 61 kHz, PixClock max 100 MHz

• Also I forgot to post the contents of /boot:
  • total 2248

4 boot.0300

0 config@

48 config-2.4.21-0.13mdk

4 grub/

116 initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img

0 initrd.img@

0 kernel.h@

4 kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk

160 map

0 message@

100 message-graphic

4 message-text

0 System.map@

576 System.map-2.4.21-0.13mdk

4 uk.klt

0 vmlinuz@

1228 vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk

Accoring to /boot you are running the vanilla kernel.

Quite where XFree is getting the SMP part from is beyond me.

Try a uname -a

Another questrion, did you install the mandrake updates? Given the problem with your modem I'm guessing not.

The Mandrake tools had lots of updates, havn't checked this specifically but it might be a reason.

I'd very seriously disguard it for now becuase XFDrake hasn't worked and try an alternative.

xf86config (CLI)

or even just a XFree86 -configure

Once its working better you are in a more stable position to play with it.

When Ive been working on complex multihead stuff, back when Xinerama was brand new I always kept a default failsafe XF86config I could fall back on for tweaking.

Unless your running a laptop I'd consider getting a different card though. The maintainer is doing a good job but its not so good as a Martox or NVIDIA etc. Its only a 32MB card so if you shop around bargain basement you'll probably find something better supported with better or equal performace for 30 quid.

I still use a old Matrox MGA 400 on one box. To be honest it has a SIS built in graphics card which did work but the matrox is so better supported. I'm waiting for my home DSL connection and only got a phone 2 days ago so I just went for the easy option with the old Matrox.

The old Matrox BB was excellent and a guy called ben used to answer all the linux stuff really quickly.

Regarding the modem, I'm also lazy. I just bought a ADSL ethernet one. it cost me an extra 30 quid over the usb but theres no messing about or driver issues since its directly from the NIC which is already working fine.

I probably have the config for the speedtouch on my ISP CD though so I can mail it if you can't find it elsewhere....

Another questrion, did you install the mandrake updates?  Given the problem with your modem I'm guessing not.
Yes, I did. It got rid of the ISDN label on the speedtouch, but I haven't noticed any other changes.

I just bought a ADSL ethernet one. it cost me an extra 30 quid over the usb but theres no messing about or driver issues since its directly from the NIC which is already working fine.
Knowing my luck, the built-in NIC will be incompatible! :lol:

I probably have the config for the speedtouch on my ISP CD though so I can mail it if you can't find it elsewhere....
That sounds useful. Thanks. :)

Its pretty rare for NIC's to be incompatible. Modems and USB stuff yes but NIC's are basically pretty standard. I've never had one that doesn't work.

If you have a spare slot theyre 10 quid or so anyway. Ive loads spare and I'd mail one but it would probably cost more than you can buy one for.

Does that mean your USB modems working by the way?

If so you could check out later versions of the driver for the SIS.