Just Bought the Power Pack

supermario

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reiver, I suppose it's not in your interests to note that our quarterly losses narrowed substantially in the last quarter, or our share price has been rising consistently for the last couple of months, is it? No, thought not.

If you buy a copy of the Powerpack, you get a copy of the Powerpack. That's what we sell, and it's up to you to decide if it's worth the money. I would just note that we're clearly not making out like bandits over here, if you check out our financial results. Notwithstanding Reiver's comments, most of Mandriva's costs are paying staff; employing talented hackers isn't cheap. Employing me is, but then you get what you pay for. ;)

You can upgrade a Powerpack release with the next Free release, and it's unlikely that anything important will break - well, it's exactly as likely as if you were upgrading Free -> Free, or Powerpack -> Powerpack. What will happen is that you will get the new release, but with the commercial applications (which are the only difference between Free and Powerpack) from the previous release. These will usually continue to work anyway, because they tend to be quite independent of the underlying distribution - but even if they don't, it's not as if your system will stop booting.

If you're more worried about value for money than a nice shiny box with a manual, the Powerpack subscription is the obvious choice. You really don't need a dedicated internet connection, you just need access to one that's capable of downloading 4GB one time every six months and writing it to a DVD. That's not too onerous a requirement in most places, most people can borrow such a connection from a friend or their work even if they don't have one at home.

As noted, the copies from third party disc resellers are Free - the same you can download for nothing from our public repositories. In effect they're just selling you the service of doing the download and writing it to a disc.

The slim pack DVD contains the exact same product as the box (and the download editions). The only difference is the packaging. The slim pack is a slim pack case with a DVD in it, and that's all. The box is a proper box with a jewel cased DVD and a product manual and some exciting leaflets and shiny things. Coo.

Reiver, I suppose it's not in your interests to note that our quarterly losses narrowed substantially in the last quarter, or our share price has been rising consistently for the last couple of months, is it? No, thought not.

Wow, excellent attempt at spin, however you would be better off trying that on someone with considerably less business knowledge than I. One quarter is nothing, come back to me when you manage to do that consistently over a year, then I may have to reconsider my opinion. Although, if you want to evaluate the quarter then I could draw a correlation between the appointment of the VC members to the board and your "positive" result. That correlation would indicate that the VC's are the guys with the right business acumen, and not the core Mandriva management!

I would just note that we're clearly not making out like bandits over here, if you check out our financial results.

:lol2:

IIRC, you have been making "significant" losses for several years now, and don't get me started on the issue of writing off the Goodwill on the Connectiva acquisition within 2 years, that's got "bad investment decision" written all over it. ;)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Could you be a bit more polite, please, Reiver? If you have a problem with Mandrivas way of doing things, than that's okay. Blame Monsieur Duval for that but don't attack AdamW. I really don't like the way you talk to him in this thread. He is not responisble for the financial things. He is simply a very helpful guy that deserves a bit more of respect.

JMHO.

I agree with arctic. There is absolutely no reason to blame AdamW for Mandriva's past financial status, especially in this thread. He has been very helpful here (even if you don't use Mandriva), so please show him the respect he deserves.

Could you be a bit more polite, please, Reiver?

I do not see how my tone is in anyway different to adamw's opening paragraph (and other statements) which is clearly worded to be sarcastic. I find that to be impolite, but yet neither you nor Greg2 have addressed that! Don't single me out for a behaviour that is not unique to me, otherwise you are just showing favouritism and that is bang out of order!

[Edit - Bad spelling ;)]

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

so please show him the respect he deserves.

You really don't know me, do you! I have every respect for adamw, he does a good job, which I have mentioned many times before. I for one would not like to be in his shoes given the amount of crap I have seen him take from the community for things outside his control, but adam is up for the task and he just keeps going. Just because I criticise his statement, does not mean that I respect him any less!

You just demonstrated the fact that you have not read my posts thoroughly. I was having a debate with adamw, I was not blaming him.

I believe that I have read your post thoroughly. If I had a problem with a company/organization/etc. that you worked for, I would not say

you have been making "significant" losses for several years now
but something more like; your organization has been...

Sound better?

I believe that I have read your post thoroughly. If I had a problem with a company/organization/etc. that you worked for, I would not saybut something more like; your organization has been...

Sound better?

No, as it was response to a statement about the company. Look at the quote, along with other posts (notice my exact words were "read my posts thoroughly") it is quite clear what the subject was, irrespective of my regional slang/misuse of language.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

I was having a debate with adamw, I was not blaming him.

It seems clear from your comments that you have strong, if not intense disregard for Mandriva, the company. I would not label your caustic remarks regarding adamw's employer as "a debate" with adamw. Any typical reader of this thread will find your tone condescending to adamw, and in fact condescending to anyone that chooses to financially support Mandriva. I have to agree with the sentiment of the other mods here.

I don't know, I may be psychotic, but, well, come to think about it, 'may be' might not be a strong enough description, anyway, you know how when you are reading posts, you get this little voice in your head saying the words as you read them . . . , what . . . , you don't?, well there you go, anyway, my little voice certainly had an aggressive tone while reading Reiver_Fluffi's posts, but you know, psychosis an' all :unsure:

:popcorn: