SCO: the story continues

Michel

hugerobot,

i don't think you are an elitist. far from it i think you're ***** not an eliteist.

see the problem isn't that linux is hard it is that fact that it is not known very well it does things differently from the lazy OSes like Windows and OS X (i love OS X but they hade to hide alot of the unix in it to spare their users alot of "grief").

people expect to turn on their computers and start working right away. what idiots it take tim to learn and the more you use the more you learn and the easier it gets. people are lazy and you have to get them past that.

ultimately though if they don't want to make the effort then it is pointless to try.

can the "boohoo linux is hard and has to change so i can get more lazy idiots using it" i bet if you plunked a child in front of linux they would eventually get the hang of it with very little effort and when they get older they would be all the better for as linux would be to them what windows is for others.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hugerobot,

i don't think you are an elitist. far from it i think *****not an eliteist.

see the problem isn't that linux is hard it is that fact that it is not known very well it does things differently from the lazy OSes like Windows and OS X (i love OS X but they hade to hide alot of the unix in it to spare their users alot of "grief").

people expect to turn on their computers and start working right away. what idiots it take tim to learn and the more you use the more you learn and the easier it gets. people are lazy and you have to get them past that.

ultimately though if they don't want to make the effort then it is pointless to try.

can the "boohoo linux is hard and has to change so i can get more lazy idiots using it" i bet if you plunked a child in front of linux they would eventually get the hang of it with very little effort and when they get older they would be all the better for as linux would be to them what windows is for others.

This is what I always say to people that claim Linux is too hard.

It's not that it's harder than Windows, it's just that it's different, and some things will be done differently. But it's not harder at all.

If Forbes really wanted to make their point, they should have looked at other distros besides Lindows. The Linux world does not revolve around one particular distro. Unless looking at other distros would have meant that they had no point to make......

Guest JaseP

You can't base anything on any Forbes magazine articles. Forbes has an obvious pro-Windoze slant.

They've got one writer in particular, a Cindy something or another, who bashes Linux every time she gets a chance.

I agree that Linux is not harder. It's just that people are used to a particular way of doing things, and don't want to change. That is not an excuse to say that more effort should not be put on making certain aspects of the GUIs more intuitive. One thing that Micro$haft does have is that they do spend a lot of time on user interface stuff during development. I personally have had to hunt for a way to do things in Linux that should have been made easier to find or do. This is not a whine, it's just a fact. I've been using computers since 1974 at age 6 or 7(old SIM and KYM Zilog-based boards that my father, a physics prof. would bring home from the college), before the Personal Computer Revolution,... and if ***I*** feel that someting is too much of a hassle,... it probably is.

More Linux developers should work on the intuitive nature of the GUI interface for how things are done. For command lines, things are fine as they are. It's a cop-out to say that people should come up to the bar for certain things. There are computer people and people who use computers. Linux users are computer people. But if our OS is going to take a market share of the desktop, it needs to be accessible to the people who just use computers too.

I have just edited several posts, so if I forgot to put "edited by Ixthusdan" in your post, it was me who did it.

I want to remind everyone that while opinions of diverse views are welcome here, name calling and crude slams are not. I am sorry that I did not catch this when it started; I was reading this thread but got busy. Please, if someone steps out of line, tell a mod, any mod, and let us do our jobs. Ideas and thoughts can be exchanged without crude remarks and the inevitable war. The appropriate response to off topic crudity is tell a mod. Believe me, it gets handled.

Again, I apologize to the slow response to this little incident.

Guest BooYah
I want to remind everyone that while opinions of diverse views are welcome here, name calling and crude slams are not.

With all due respect, the only crude remark my message contained was the one I quoted from hugerobot. Why was the entire last paragraph removed? We can discuss this through PM's if you want, so we don't pull away for the thread topic even more.

The appropriate response to off topic crudity is tell a mod.

My bad. I took the bait-hook,line, and sinker. I'll report it to a mod if it happens again. I'm just a little too stubborn and proud to ask someone else for help in such matters. :wink:

hugerobot, I can see how you might've misinterpreted my message, but you should make sure someone is insulting you before flying off the handle.

ok, back on topic...

slashdot post

SCO has said it's Linux users won't be sued. Just everyone else's, apparently. Which makes no sense. Screw them, they're bastards. Oh, and wouldn't this be viewed as some sort of bribary (reverse?)? "Since you paid us, we won't sue you"

article about it

the actual letter

eWeek has an article on an interview with Linus. It includes some info on his move to OSDL, kernel 2.6, and hiw views on the SCO crap.

the interview

my favorite part, Linus's response to this question:

SCO alleges that you need to focus more on getting clarification as to where the code that goes in the Linux kernel comes from. Do you have any plans to change the current Linux development model?

which was (funny part in bold-my emphasis):

No. I allege that SCO is full of it, and that the Linux process is already the most transparent process in the whole industry. Let's face it, nobody else even comes close to being as good at showing the evolution and source of every single line of code out there. The only party that has had serious problems clarifying what they are talking about is SCO, and now when details start emerging like with RCU, it's clearly about IP that they had nothing to do with, and don't even own. I'm sure that they are confident that they own the collective work of Unix, but that's a separate thing entirely legally from being the actual copyright owner of any specific section of code.

http://www.cybersource.com.au/users/conz/l...sco_matrix.html

interesting graph.

most interesting point it raised:

SCO made initial IP claims against IBM in March 6th 2003, and only removed the source code to its Linux distribution in May 14th 2003. Thus SCO have gifted this code to the Linux community.
i had heard this claim previously, but not with exact dates showing that SCO did continue to distribute their Linux source after knowing it may contain their own code.

I know someone that would like to kill bill gates... I'll bet that M$ was behind this whole load of bolloks, thay have their stinky hand in everything that it doesn't belong in... Just like the US Governemt... actually makes you think...

What if Bill and George are lovers... now wouldn't that lead to an interesting conspiracy... Microsoft and the US Government both do the same thing. One makes sure that the other gets away with everything like Microsoft and Internet Explorer..... and On the other side the Carnivore Program..... Bet you microsoft have something to do with that... built in carnivore software into every M$ users desktop.... think about it, it makes perfect sense...

Oh yeah... and that person that would like to kill Billy and actually Georgie too is no one else but myself.....!!!

I know someone that would like to kill bill gates... I'll bet that M$ was behind this whole load of bolloks, thay have their stinky hand in everything that it doesn't belong in
I doubt MS was behind it. They may have given some support, but I doubt it was their idea.

and On the other side the Carnivore Program.....  Bet you microsoft have something to do with that... built in carnivore software into every M$ users desktop.... think about it, it makes perfect sense...
MS was not involved with carnivore. That was a completely government venture-more specifically the FBI-and it can't be built into your desktop because it's a server side program. Please do your reasearch. Thank you for playing conspiracy theory, please try again ;-)

anywho, let's get back to the actual topic of this thread, SCO. Anyone have any interesting updates?

I know all about the carnivore problem... you see I am just really tired, not slept for a long while, and well wanted add an interesting fictional twist to the story....!!

But hey...!!

I know all about the carnivore problem... you see I am just really tired, not slept for a long while, and well wanted add an interesting fictional twist to the story....!!
Well, then get some sleep, and use emoticons to indicate when you're playing around ;-) we can't tell if you're serious or not if you don't make it apparent :-P

Somehow I can't help but M$ they were involved somewhere.

It smell like them, sounds like them ... I just can't see how.

The whole eliteist linux sub thread thing happens becuase M$ get into say forbes and start telling people about the cancer invading society and how their kids will grow up in a world of chaos if it isn't eliminated.

M$ sows the seeds but it does so indescriminately. They chuck em on the stony ground, on the fallow fields and more or less everwhere hoping a few will stick. When they see something like the SCO thing I'm sure theyre not beyond chucking in a few bags of fertiliser and high tech irrigaiton equipment to help out.

One thing I'm sure they love the most is when they manage to split linux users.....

Here Sun Tse Whatever becomes their guide with the Art of War. The more they can get the enemy to scabble amonst them selves, the better .

p.s. Bill isn't Georgies lover he's his banker. I forget quite how much they donated tot he presidental elections but it was significantly more than you'd give to a lover. More a long term investment loan. :wink:

Hell, Al Gore said it right. The election was decided on the other bills zipper... You can't seriously think he's going to throw all that away for a quick fling with Gatesy :twisted: What else would he have left.

tyme: Emoticons added as requested when playing around :wink: