Random Internet Freeze-ups

mdg

When I'm on the net, every few minutes (anything from 1-5 min) activity freezes for a short time, usually about a minute. During this time I can't load a new page, the mouse hourglass just sits and waits. Doing "stop" and "reload" doesn't help

I'm using Mozilla 1.3, Mdk 9.1. The connection is by LAN, static IP. NIC is IBM 10/100 ethernet. This setup worked in Mdk 9.0 (Mozilla 1.1) without this problem and works without freeze-up in Win98/IE dual boot on the same machine.

I tried using Konq to browse and I experienced the same problems. It isn't site-specific

I'm assuming the problem lies in how 9.1 accesses the NIC, but I don't know where to start looking

Anybody?

I would wait a few days before concluding. I'm using MDK 9.0 as a server (ICS) and my clients (Me and the wife) connect to it to get the net. In those times, I have random internet freeze like you experienced. However, this turn out to be an ISP problem... I don't know what they are doing exactly but they told me they have problems in those days.

So what about calling them and ask?

MOttS

My line was checked recently and it turned out OK. My first thought was the

line or ISP, but that's been checked. This only happens in Mdk, also, it's not something recent (more than a month). I only posted now because it took that long to check the line, which I was sure was the problem

In Mozilla I have mplayer plugin 0.60 shockwave-flash 6.0r79

Ok i have the mplayer 0.6 plugin but not that version of flash.

Is this problem time related or is it only for certain sites? from your first post i assume time related so can you remove the flash plugin and see if this problem persists?

Or maybe even remove both plugins and see if it still freezes(leaving libnullplugin.so).

I don't know if this is your problem, but I had a similar one with Mozilla, and I found the flash was the problem. I fixed it by removing flash and using a texstar rpm.

Well, I tried without Flash and the problem is still there. Took out mplayer-plugin also and it seemed to be OK for a while, but it was just false hope. I still have the problem

I'm thinking, maybe if I rip out the modem and toss it out the window, I won't have this problem anymore :twisted:

I re-read your posts, and now I'm thinking about irq's. Any conflicts there? Try isolating your nic in the bios to assure that it is on a clean irq.

I checked IRQ's and turns out The NIC is sharing with the onboard sound

Bus  0, device  12, function  0:

Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 5).

IRQ 10.

Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.

Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xeb100000 [0xeb100fff].

I/O at 0xd000 [0xd01f].

Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xeb000000 [0xeb0fffff].

Bus  0, device  17, function  5:

Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 64).

IRQ 10.

I/O at 0xe000 [0xe0ff].

Bus  1, device   0, function  0:

If this was causing the problem, wouldn't it affect all OS's on the system? I don't have this problem in windows

• 4 weeks later...
Guest suPERLman

Hi all!

I'm having the same problem with my ADSL connection. I checked my IRQ's and discovered that my Ethernet card and my Video card are using the same IRQ. Is that really what is causing the problem? How can I fix this IRQ issue?

Thanks!

suPERLman

I have the same lockups with my dialup......it IS mdk and has happen since instaling 9.1 at its realease (3 installs).....hence, I'm using Libranet-2.8 (debian) :wink:

It's normal for irq's to be shared. Not that changing them wouldn't solve the prob, but screw that. The kernel is the kernel and your sys is your sys, so I'd bet you'd find the same irq settings in 2 diff distros. It's most likely ML9.1. Have no idea why other than 50 more scripts than the average distro to 'ease' configuration.

Guest suPERLman
I have the same lockups with my dialup......it IS mdk and has happen since instaling 9.1 at its realease (3 installs).....hence, I'm using Libranet-2.8 (debian) :wink:

You mean that if I use this library on my Mandrake system will fix the problem? If so, where can I find it? I looked for it at rpmfind but I didn't find it.

Thanks for the help!

suPERLman