Which apps do you miss the most?

phunni

wine/wineX - good or bad for Linux?  

1. 1. wine/wineX - good or bad for Linux?

• Great for Linux!
    • Evil
    • Somewhere in between

Do I really miss anything? I've MOH(I bought it when I still only ahd windows, the problem is that shops don't sell games for linux...), but that should run with wine(not tried it, listed on their site)....

I think this is/has been ported to Linux - anyone confirm this? If so - run it natively!

e-sword

For me, gnomesword is the closest you can get for e-sword. Yeah, I have e-sword for windows too and I think it's really peachy (especially the prayer schedule and stuff) but gnomesword is the best e-sword replacement available for linux. Bibletime is not that level yet.

Now if only gnomesword is ported to gtk2 and have good fonts available. The fonts in gnomesword is yucky imo.

When the English Standard Version is available with any of these programs - I'll look into using it

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WindowBlinds, IconPackager, e-sword, and anything Office 2000...and NO, there are no equivalent to these....not even close.

You're right. There is nothing equivalent to them. Using Office, you get to use a word processor that thinks it's a spreadsheet, desktop-publishing program, database, graphics program, world mapper, translator, etc. Take Excel, and you have a spreadsheet that thinks it's a word processor, desktop-publishing program, database, graphics program, world mapper, translator, etc.

Sorry, but I don't care for programs that try to be everything to everyone. I might like to read the occasional book in the bathroom, but I'd rather bring the book into the bathroom than have a forest, a paper mill, a writing and editorial staff, publishing facilities and a fully stocked library as an integral part of my bathroom. In the same way, give me modular programs over monolithic ones any day.

I only miss the games.

And one of the things I hate about WineX games ports is that I think it has prevented the development of a competetor to Direct X, or an open source version of it (if that could ever happen).

I may get flamed for saying this, but if you want to play Windows games, just play them in Windows. If you want good Linux games, they need to be native, and having native Linux versions of many popular games would certainly help the Linux adoption rate. Mindrover is the best native Linux game I have ever played, and I bought it because it was one of the best Windows games I ever played.

I have a Game Cube, so I get my gaming fix from that.. and Linux does have a bunch of fun free games (I'm a huge Freeciv and Freecraft fan, and XScorch is still an all time favorite).

I don't miss any productivity apps. Hell, I used Mozilla, Open Office, Jedit, Netbeans, Gimp and Cygwin when I used Windows anyway. My move to Linux applications was pretty smooth.

Guest Adriano

Sorry, nothing much missing here. I enjoy my gaming online in cyber cafés anyway, so... I like playing frozenbubble till the wee hours, Powermanga for the shoot'em u frenzy, mayve even some Quake... Everything else is quite covered too. OpenOffice works all right (slow, yes, but right).

I miss jpad Pro. It is the worlds most user friendly Java IDE. In fact, I have beentrying for days fto get java and netbeans or one of a dozen other IDE's to work, and NOT ONE of them has an install that takes less than a bachelors degree in CS to install and configure.

I also miss the games a little.

Guest c_m_f

a good file transfer prog, along the lines of kazaa lite!

i know it can be emulated in wine, and used to have it that way, but since mdk 9.1 its died so i have to use WinMX.

limewire is crappy, and is always dropping the d/l and teh userbase is too small, and dc is just confusing, i dont want to learn how to download a song, i just want to do it, i have other things to learn!

:)

oh if anyone knows of any 'nice' linux native file sharing software, list it please!

if anyone knows of any 'nice' linux native file sharing software, list it please!

I use eDonkey. There is native version for Windows users, Mac users and *nix users... enough to make the whole planet happy. This is a bit slow but you can find ANYTHING on that. From the latest version of SuSe to a movie that has not come out yet (I got Taxi 3 on it and it will be out May 30 !! .. vive les Francais !). TRY IT !

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4486

MOttS

I miss Macromedia Flash (there are no flash editors for linux. nada. none.) and I miss Cooledit PRO 2.0 / Qbase. I'm on my way to check out the new Glame though (the search continues).

For all you winers: running a program through wine is *not* running it under Linux, you are spoofing a windows file system - you may as well just dual boot. So good for you if can wine something, but list it as something you miss so developers can port or clone it. I'm not fanatic about it, but nobody thinks they are playing Linux games when they run a NES emulator, do they?

Maybe Linux users don't do their taxes?  :wink:
If only. I was at the receiver of revenue earlier this week. He said "Have a seat" - I said "No thanks, I'm comfortable enough on my knees" :wink:

Nothing I miss, apart from the great virus support of Windows that linux really has crappy support for.... ;)

Annoyances I do have: with my graphics card, I got 6 discs with games. Installed and played aquanox for a bit, never got round to any of these other discs -- haven't booted windows this year (last boot must have been around early december 02)...

Hugerobot I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I did play StarCraft via wine (which now doesn't work anymore, but haven't had time or desire to play for some time), but now just decided to get linux games (ordered 3 last week, hope they arrive soon - should arrive in 2-3 days, has been 7).

I do miss a lot of linux things when I'm in windows (nt, at work) -- windowbehaviour is crap, no shell, no gkrellm, no good way to kill processes, no copy-paste with select-middlemousebutton,... luckily most I do is use reflection to connect to the unix stuff, where at least I have proper windowbehaviour and nice copy-paste...

so i have to use WinMX.

I was a big fan of WinMX for awhile, and was missing this in Linux, until I got tired of the leeches and fighting for a spot in que. Then I discovered eDonkey. I installed this in Linux and in Windows and share the same temp files and shared directories and can reboot to other OS and pick up where I left off.

Do I really miss anything? I've MOH(I bought it when I still only ahd windows, the problem is that shops don't sell games for linux...), but that should run with wine(not tried it, listed on their site)....

I think this is/has been ported to Linux - anyone confirm this? If so - run it natively!

e-sword

For me, gnomesword is the closest you can get for e-sword. Yeah, I have e-sword for windows too and I think it's really peachy (especially the prayer schedule and stuff) but gnomesword is the best e-sword replacement available for linux. Bibletime is not that level yet.

Now if only gnomesword is ported to gtk2 and have good fonts available. The fonts in gnomesword is yucky imo.

When the English Standard Version is available with any of these programs - I'll look into using it

Just a couple of things about e-Sword and GnomeSword:

I don't know if any of you know this, but e-Sword is a Micros$oft Access program. It uses M$ Jet databases. So... ALL of your Bibles, topics, commentaries, etc... are all JET databases.

And, if you didn't know... you CAN access your JET databases IN Linux with MySQL.

SO... if you have e-Sword set up just the way you like it (as I do), you should be able to port your stuff over to Linux using MySQL - and once you get it INTO Linux, you should be able to export it from MySQL to the format(s) that GnomeSword uses. Instructions for making modules are available from the Sword website.

Having said THAT: if you're using the ESV from NavPress, I think that you might be out of luck, as far as copyright laws go. It would be a small matter to export the actual text itself into one of the formats that GnomeSword can use, but I'm unsure as to the LEGALITY of doing so.

The reason why I'm familiar with this process: I have a number of customized modules for e-Sword, but I'm trying very hard to migrate 100% to Linux. And I've NOT been able to get e-Sword to run under WINE in any of the distros I've used. (If we could just get Rick to post his stuff in raw ZIP format instead of using the M$ installer, I think we'd have a much better chance.)

GBYLBT, Pastor Ed

Then I discovered eDonkey. I installed this in Linux and in Windows and share the same temp files and shared directories and can reboot to other OS and pick up where I left off.

This is what I'm doing either :wink:

MOttS

Guest fubar::chi
I only miss the games.  

And one of the things I hate about WineX games ports is that I think it has prevented the development of a competetor to Direct X, or an open source version of it (if that could ever happen).  

I may get flamed for saying this, but if you want to play Windows games, just play them in Windows. If you want good Linux games, they need to be native, and having native Linux versions of many popular games would certainly help the Linux adoption rate. Mindrover is the best native Linux game I have ever played, and I bought it because it was one of the best Windows games I ever played.

I have a Game Cube, so I get my gaming fix from that.. and Linux does have a bunch of fun free games (I'm a huge Freeciv and Freecraft fan, and XScorch is still an all time favorite).  

I don't miss any productivity apps. Hell, I used Mozilla, Open Office, Jedit, Netbeans, Gimp and Cygwin when I used Windows anyway. My move to Linux applications was pretty smooth.

you are my new best friend. :D LOVE that avatar btw. You play GC games online?

For all you winers: running a program through wine is *not* running it under Linux, you are spoofing a windows file system - you may as well just dual boot. So good for you if can wine something, but list it as something you miss so developers can port or clone it. I'm not fanatic about it, but nobody thinks they are playing Linux games when they run a NES emulator, do they?

I disagree. In an NES emulator, you're using the operating system of the actual NES when running games. You're not running them straight from Linux (or Windows, or wherever you use your emulator). Wine, on the other hand, allows you to run Windows programs straight from Linux, without needing an actual Windows to run it. Yes, you'll most likely get better results if you just run it from Windows, however, then you need to have a copy of Windows to use.

Guest fubar::chi

I disagree. In an NES emulator, you're using the operating system of the actual NES when running games. You're not running them straight from Linux (or Windows, or wherever you use your emulator). Wine, on the other hand, allows you to run Windows programs straight from Linux, without needing an actual Windows to run it. Yes, you'll most likely get better results if you just run it from Windows, however, then you need to have a copy of Windows to use.

but you don't need an actual nes to run nes games in linux either. I don't get what you're trying to say here.