How much RAM can ML effectively utilize?

ral

Interesting. I have 256MB of DDR RAM on my PC.

Typically I have about 49% used, 50% allocated to chached and free (148 cahced and about 8 free).

SWAP partition is free.

Gave me the impression that Mandrake Linux only uses about 128MB of memory with the rest allocated to cache.

Running ML9 with KDE.

I've use to use fluxbox, bb, windowmaker, icewm, E, gnome and now kde, and I hate to bust anyones bubble, but it only matters at startup. If you run all day the resources are going to be used just the same, if you are using apps that use libs from the big boys. It just takes 30 minutes longer to get there if you use a light wm.

That's totally true. When you ask 'how much ram does Mandrake utilize' the correct answer should be "all of it". Caching is an important part of Mandrake's memory management and helps keep the disk access down on stuff you use frequently. Every OS from MacOS 8.x to Win98 has tried to do this because it's very efficient. Why hit the disk for Mozilla when you just had it open 5 minutes ago? If your system can actually handle memory well (which is ultimately up to your OS) then ideally you want to cache as much as possible.

That's totally true. When you ask 'how much ram does Mandrake utilize' the correct answer should be "all of it". Caching is an important part of Mandrake's memory management and helps keep the disk access down on stuff you use frequently. Every OS from MacOS 8.x to Win98 has tried to do this because it's very efficient. Why hit the disk for Mozilla when you just had it open 5 minutes ago? If your system can actually handle memory well (which is ultimately up to your OS) then ideally you want to cache as much as possible.

Good point.

I've use to use fluxbox, bb, windowmaker, icewm, E, gnome and now kde, and I hate to bust anyones bubble, but it only matters at startup. If you run all day the resources are going to be used just the same, if you are using apps that use libs from the big boys. It just takes 30 minutes longer to get there if you use a light wm.

This may be true sometimes, but I used to have a computer that only had 64 megs of ram. When I used gnome/kde EVERYTHING took forever to do and when I switched to windowmaker the system went faster in almost every aspect. Thus, the entire choice of apps matters when a person has little ram. I do agree with you though in the case where a person has a lot of ram.

Guest CloakedPenguin

actually my swap is never used. I just know that when I go in to see how much of my ram is being used that it's 300 MB with Galeon, Gkrellm, and Ximian Evolution open.

I guess I really don't need all this Ram after-all! But it sure as hell runs smooth and fast. I also show the full 2,048 MB(roughly) on one and 3,072 MB(roughly) on the other. I have heard that some people who have a more than 800 MB have trouble with Linux recognizing all of it. Is this true?

I would like to reask the question in a bit different way:

What is the upper limit for Linux in general and LM, what the system could use optimal?

Are there limits or is the system good enough to use ALL of the available memory effectively, equal if MB or GB?

Another trick question.

If you're running a server or doing something equally memory-intensive, around 2GB is perfect. Tuxbox only has 128mb and it does very well because it doesn't serve anything too intense. No X running on it either. I think the sweet spot (for gamers) is between 512mb and 1gb.

I would like to reask the question in a bit different way:

What is the upper limit for Linux in general and LM, what the system could use optimal?

Are there limits or is the system good enough to use ALL of the available memory effectively, equal if MB or GB?

Actually, the limit is 2GB...Until you load a certain module or recompile. Then I think the limit is 200GB but I am not sure, so really, there isn't much of a limit, but (of course) afrosheen is right, you really don't need to go out and get 2 gigs of ram as 512 is plenty (for now.)