newbie needs mousetrap

gmac

I've lost my mouse. It was working but now mandrake doesn't seem to see the mouse at all. The mouse is not faulty as it works fine in windows (I have it dual booted).

Any suggestions how I get it back.

Don't say rtfm as I can't access it without a mouse.

keep it simple I really am a newbie.

thanks

Have you tried typing  

mousedrake

as root?

It's possible he has booted into a gui, says he is a newbie.

if you are in a window manager gui, just press ctrl+alt+F1 login as root

type mousedrake

select your mouse using arrow keys and tabs.

What kind of mouse is it? I have a MS Optical mouse and harddrake has to be running at boot to detect it each time or it won't work. Also, if I run harddrake while in X, sometimes it crashes the mouse and I have to restart X to get it back, and sometimes even have to reboot.

I've lost my mouse.  

{snip}

Don't say rtfm as I can't access it without a mouse.  

keep it simple I really am a newbie.

thanks

I didn't want to be unconstructive so I waited for others to post the useful answers, but just so you know, you can easily access all stuff without your mouse, and even without graphics functioning.

man [command]

on the console will help you out to find out how to use [command]

(yes you are new, so this would not help you since you don't know which command to look for)

info [command]

can also give insightful information

If you want to browse help files in html format, just use

lynx [file.html]

on the console.

A mouse is not a necessity, just a nice plus. ;)

(and yes, of course we all want it; just to let you know it is possible to get by without, which I do regularly when connecting to another machine via ssh for instance...)

i love learning weird stuff by just pressing buttons. i did ctrl+alt+F1 assuming it would bring up a console window, but instead... well, you know the rest, i was at a login prompt but could hear my mp3 still playing in the background. it took me a while of playing around pressing random buttons to get back to kde. after creating those virtual consoles is there anything i need to do to close them? or are they always there? i got back to my main x session with ctrl alt f7 (i think), was that the right way to do it?

Once you are in the console, you only have to press alt+F[1-7], F1 to F6 are your consoles (remember, linux has been truly multitasking from the beginning.... contrary to some other os-es), F7 is for the graphical stuff.

Actually, F7 to F12 is for graphical sessions, but usually you only have the first one (F7)....

Read the howto section of my website for more info, or check the tips and tricks forum here.

One friend of mine uses a second graphical session for his wife, so he can have his stuff (download p2p etc) and she can do email, without messing with his account, all at the same time, at the switch of 3 buttons... :)

i love learning weird stuff by just pressing buttons. i did ctrl+alt+F1 assuming it would bring up a console window, but instead... well, you know the rest, i was at a login prompt but could hear my mp3 still playing in the background. it took me a while of playing around pressing random buttons to get back to kde. after creating those virtual consoles is there anything i need to do to close them? or are they always there? i got back to my main x session with ctrl alt f7 (i think), was that the right way to do it?

yeah ctrl+alt+F7 to get back sorry i didn't even consider that you wouldn't know how too :oops: .

After you had finnished you should have logged out by typing: logout

then go back to you normal graphical session via ctrl+alt+F7.

johnnyv thanks a lot that worked. Took me a couple of attempts but O got it it eventually.

I like this forum and find i useful as well as entertaining. The only criticism is that some of the contributors have forgotten what it is like as a newbie with basic problems like my mouse doesn't work or that going ctrlalt f1 etc opens up the graphical bits (console that's the word) and once there what do you do. rtfm is useless advice if you can't access it in the first place.

Its like trying to get inside a building, once you know what the door looks like its easy and obvious but personally I've only just got inside and am now looking for the lightswitch.

"yeah ctrl+alt+F7 to get back sorry i didn't even consider that you wouldn't know how too . " Now I know thanks a lot everybody.

No doubt I will be back with other stupid questions!

I like this forum and find i useful as well as entertaining. The only criticism is that some of the contributors have forgotten what it is like as a newbie with basic problems like my mouse doesn't work or that going ctrlalt f1 etc opens up the graphical bits (console that's the word) and once there what do you do. rtfm is useless advice if you can't access it in the first place.

Like I explained, there is no reason that without graphics you would not be able to read the manual. Linux is often used without graphics, and basically the manual is made in a way that it is accessible without having any graphics system running, like on a server.

BTW without a mouse, you could also have hit the windows-key (between the alt and ctrl keys) which opens the menu, then use the arrow keys to get to the info/help/doc section.

But, yes you are right, it is easy to forget how it was before, to use linux as an absolute beginner. Also, when I was an absolute beginner, there were always plenty of more advanced users around (uni, computer room).

Don't worry about stupid questions, as long as you put in some effort yourself. Hey, you're new, and there is soo much info it is hard to find what you are looking for.

Welcome to linux, hope you enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maillion

The only "stupid" questions are the ones you don't ask... :?

Johnny